JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using this site for over 7 years, and for all that time that I've been here the #1 ranked game has either been Puerto Rico or Agricola. (unless you count the time that Monkey Auto Races briefly held the top spot... hee hee).

My question is does anyone remember what the first #1 ranked game was here on BGG? I've poked around the site some and can't find any info, but I was curious to know if during the first couple of years on BGG many different games vied for the top spot, or was their just one game that Puerto Rico dethroned in 2002?

It's the whole BGG 10th anniversary that got me thinking about this. I'm just curious to see if anyone remembers, or if there is a way to find out this info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember rightly, Princes of Florence was at the top when I first started coming around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates was #1 prior to Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the day when Risk was #1. Oh way back in the Board Game Geek BBS days. Those were the sweet days. And we walked 10 miles in the snow to play Risk. Whipper snappers. Get off my lawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I started visiting regularly in 2002, and as I recall, Tigris & Euphrates was the #1 game for quite some time. It was kind of a big deal when Puerto Rico took it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a brief moment when Die Macher was the only game in the database, so it must have been #1 at that time ... at least until Samurai showed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
Gola wrote:
I think I started visiting regularly in 2002, and as I recall, Tigris & Euphrates was the #1 game for quite some time. It was kind of a big deal when Puerto Rico took it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a geeklist buried in the annals of time that actually found and displayed the top 10 games every year back into history. I'll try and find it and post the link to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Barnard
United Kingdom
Tadcaster
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
All aboard the 'B' Ark! Priority boarding for bankers and HR staff!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first found the site, Streets of Stalingrad (2nd Edition?) was the number one game based on the fact that one user rated it a 10 whilst other (slightly less niche) games had several ratings. I think this was in 2001 or maybe 2002.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Coincidentally, a geeklist: Games that were previously (or are currently) ranked #1 was posted today covering the same topic.

This has a link to The History of BoardGameGeek: Top 10s which might be the list ze_storm refers to above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
There was a brief moment when Die Macher was the only game in the database, so it must have been #1 at that time ... at least until Samurai showed up.

BGG didn't have a rating system when the first games were added. I believe ratings didn't come along till almost a year later. They had "top 10" lists, but mostly those were top 10 accessed reviews/session reports/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I remember the day when Risk was #1. Oh way back in the Board Game Geek BBS days. Those were the sweet days. And we walked 10 miles in the snow to play Risk. Whipper snappers. Get off my lawn!

Derk spelled his name differently in those days, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

Derk spelled his name differently in those days, too

Hey, never said he was that smart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.