Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at breakfast with the PGP Trynnie when I noticed she was looking over my shoulder at the games stacked against the wall. I was worried that she was eying the box that I carry games in as a next candidate for Recycle. I said, “You can't look at that box. It's used to transport games.”
“No, I was looking at a game.”, she replies.
“Oh, which one?”
“The Shakespeare Game”
“You like and know Shakespeare?”
“Yes.”
“Well then we'll find time to play it!”

Later after we had the table cleaned we set up the game and set to learning it. (I had read the rules before but did not remember how to play. Further, I was not really expecting to get to play this game so I hadn't looked at BGG to see if there were clarifications. There are quite likely errors in the way this game was played.)

We each drew our initial plays (which we kept face down since nothing said to turn them up.) I drew Cymbeline and she drew Macbeth. Cymbeline is fairly simple while Macbeth is very involved.

I was quickly able to put on Cymbeline which I did at the Curtain. I had acquired two Great Actors so I was able to get a pretty good score from the play – 18 points.

After drawing the “Shakespeare is Away” 'play', we put that tile out of the game. (Not sure what the correct procedure is.)

I generated a Fate that sent everyone to Gallows Hill. It was reasoned that since it was my turn, I lose my turn and can do nothing further. But, that she didn't lose a turn and was free to leave. This kind of makes sense as what's the point in everyone losing a turn?

At this point the PGP gets on the board in a big way. She produces Macbeth at the Globe yielding 41 points! (She had just average actors.)

I had gotten another not so prime play (Winter's Tale) and was able to put this on at the Globe with 1 average and 1 Great Actor. This netted 29 points.

The PGP never really managed to hire any decent actors. But she put on Twelfth Night at the Rose using 3 average guys. This yielded her 27 points.

Each of us busked constantly and I ended up drawing pretty good Fate cards. The PGP was lucky and drew “You meet actor willing to work for food.” So she drew her newest member. Well... There was a reason this guy was willing to work for food! He was a +0 actor!

The PGP's final play was King Lear at the Rose. But she only scored 27 points as she still had only average actors.

I put on the finale with the best production of the day! I staged Hamlet at the Globe! I at this time had THREE Great Actors so I generated an impressive 52 points!

At this point we both kind of had had our fill of the game and quit.

Both of us did pretty well in answering questions. Neither of us had to resort to a speech (see below). The questions are Multiple Choice and True/False with the occasional match these to those.

The only blot on the game was that the PGP was frustrated that I was having problems understanding when she read the questions. She speaks excellent English but it's sometimes hard to read archaic quotes and get them correct. I often had to have her cover the answer and let me read the question myself. The most egregious of these was the quote “My Dauphin...” - No way she's correctly reading a FRENCH word buried inside an English quotation!

This game is fun played with Shakespeare buffs.

-----------------------------------------

Note: We used a modified rule for getting money at a Theatre. We allowed you to start with any level of question. If you missed you could take an easier one but not get the full pay out. Similarly if you got the question right you could try to answer the harder ones. We also allowed that if you missed the Easy question, you could opt to make a speech but would be capped at 6 instead of 10.

If you start Easy you can get 10 -> 14 -> 18
If you start Medium you can get 15 -> 19 -> 9
If you start Hard you can get 20 -> 14 -> 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up.

Bill Shakespeare apologises for the French!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.