Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Thompson
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first playing (solo) of the game and great fun it was too.

Turn One
The NATO plan: Baltimore and Drum are both well equipped as regards ASW capabilities. My problem is their location - being so far apart means the Soviets can try to take them out individually before them get together. I'll try to damage a Soviet sub or two using my airpower, then move my subs in for the kill.

The Soviet plan: I have more subs than the US, although individually only Nezhin can match them one-for-one. My plan is therefore to quickly locate and take out the Baltimore, before moving onto Drum.

Moves

US P3 in Spain conducts recon in Tyrrhenian Sea, detecting the Soviet SN Sumy. Two ASW attacks fail despite Tac Co-Ord from the remaining P3.
Soviets close in on Baltimore, which moves towards the French coastline.

US Comment: I need to get lucky with my air attacks, but I may be able to sneak in with Baltimore and do some damage before the Soviets can reply.

Soviet Comment: Baltimore is already running out of places to hide. The net closes in...

Turn Two
Moves

Soviets win the initiative and move in on Baltimore, although she is still too far away for an attack this turn. US Air conducts ASW against Drabv, damaging the sub. Baltimore senses a kill and moves west ending the turn south of Toulon.

NATO Comment: First blood to the US! Now I need to finish Drabv off before all four Soviet subs can link up.

Soviet Comment: A setback for us, but you can't make an omlette... Baltimore and Drum remain apart, whilst we gather.

Turn Three
Moves

US wins the initiative. Baltimore closes on Drabv but the attack is a failure. However, P3's ASW efforts send her to the bottom. Drum continues to head east.

Soviets attack Baltimore with the damaged Drabv and Byngi (both unsuccessful).

NATO Comment: One down, three to go. I need to keep the initiative though.

Soviet Comment: A damaged sub is a liability right now. Some luck next turn and the tables will be turned.

Turn Four
Moves

The T16's go on Tac Co-Ord, whilst the US airpower is split between Tac Co-Ord and Recon 3-to-1. The Soviets win the initiative.

The Soviets group at last and attack Baltimore. Nezhin strikes first, and damages the US sub. Byngi follows up and destroys Baltimore.

Drum moves west.

NATO Comment: Bad news. I was hoping Baltimore would hold out at least one turn when in combat, but that initiative roll meant she faced too many Reds to survive, especially when their attacks we so effective (high rolling).

Soviet Comment: Revenge is sweet. Now to finish off Drum.

Turn Five
Moves

Soviets win the initiative. All subs head towards Drum.

Drum heads west.

NATO Comment: My use of airpower has restricted me now. I should have left some P-3's free to try ASW.

Soviet Comment: It's a question of time now. I mustn't get overconfident though - numbers will tell.

Turn Six
Moves

Soviets win the initiative and continue to close on Drum.

Drum speeds towards Gibraltar.

Turn Seven
Moves

US wins the initiative. Drum heads towards Sardinia. The Soviets do not follow. With no more relevant activity I end the game.

OUTCOME - DRAW

NATO Comment: This one slipped away from me when I think I could have won. My big mistake was in not keeping some airpower back on the second day for ASW attacks. A lucky strike there could have paved the way for success.

Soviet Comment: I could have played the chase of Drum better. Giving her an opportunity to turn on just two subs cost me victory, but then if I hadn't chased her it was a definite draw. If only I have more airpower!

Learning so far is that initiative plays a big role in the game, and it makes sense to plan for the worst, even if you're expecting the best! With just subs and airpower in this scenario its a nice and easy one to start with, and looks pretty evenly balanced. Competent play on both sides will probably result in a draw IMHO, but I could be wrong there.

Looking forward to the next scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR Simon. I bought this game when it was first published by Victory Games and had a lot of fun with it solo. 2nd Fleet is great as well but alas I've sold both in the last few years Still there's always ebay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Thompson
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here Brad. I owned the game when it was still 'contemporary', lost it somewhere between then and now and only recently re-purchased it from another Boardgame Geek.

I plan to work through the scenarios first, but my aim is to get to the campaign scenarios. It's there that the best fun is to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiltshiresaint wrote:
Same here Brad. I owned the game when it was still 'contemporary', lost it somewhere between then and now and only recently re-purchased it from another Boardgame Geek.

I plan to work through the scenarios first, but my aim is to get to the campaign scenarios. It's there that the best fun is to be had.

I totally agree with you Simon, the campaign scenarios are the best and the best part, IMO, is the geopolitical nature of them. Rolling to see who is in and who is out and then making plans from there gives this game a realisitc element that the others don't quite have in the political realm. The cool thing about 2nd, and 7th Fleet is the rolling for reinforcements. If that had been in Sixth Fleet, that would make the campaign scenarios even better! thumbsup

Nice AAR, Simon, glad to see someone else besides Thad and I enjoying this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.