Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Masters Gallery» Forums » General

Subject: The differences between "Masters Gallery" and "Modern Art: The Card Game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find (sorry if I missed it) a thread on this, but did find some images uploaded by
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it's the same game just cosmetic/packaging differences which are...

But the big difference is the face of the cards, ie. the art work on them...

Guess that's why the Masters Gallery edition is more expensive, must have had to license the art work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I much prefer Masters Gallery - the art is so much more interesting to look at.

I would happily trade my copy of Modern Art: TCG for Masters Gallery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I much prefer Masters Gallery - the art is so much more interesting to look at.

Ah, see I didn't know that... I went through the 88 images but didn't see one comparing the card faces between the two. Yes, the real art work from MG does look nicer... wish I could have that in the MA:TCG box, but I'm a function over form person. It does explain why the MG edition is $5 (after discounting) more expensive than the MA:TCG edition

edit: actually I did find one... missed it because I thought it was comparing Masters Gallery to the Mayfair 2nd edition boardgame edition Have updated base post. May have to see if I can pick up a MG edition in a math trade or something. Thanks for pointing it out!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
The real art makes it very much harder for color-blind people to play the game. Just warning you....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
The real art makes it very much harder for color-blind people to play the game. Just warning you....

yes, good point... I assume that's because each card by the same artist has different piece of art work... while the MA:TCG edition each card by same artist is same piece so you can tell "suits" apart that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I had originally created this thread to compare cosmetic differences between the two editions....

... recently someone tried to tell me there are actually some small rule differences between them?? I now own both editions and could spend the time comparing the rule books but thought I asked if anyone knows already? Would have thought it would have come up if if there were so I doubt it but never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only notable difference that I know of is the order of card colours. In MA:tCG the colours (from rarest to most common) go Yellow, Green, Orange, Purple, Brown. In Masters Gallery, the order is Yellow, Purple, Orange, Green, Brown. It makes no difference whatsoever to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ames
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

Since you have both versions, would you have the time to post or send me a copy/PDF of the rules to either? I have been trying to find some version, but to this point have been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameman wrote:
Since you have both versions, would you have the time to post or send me a copy/PDF of the rules to either? I have been trying to find some version, but to this point have been unsuccessful.

Sadly they don't include electronic version of the rules in either edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gezelius
Sweden
122 48 Årsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box of Modern Art is smaller (which is good) and looks cooler too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pam & Tim Kelsey
United Kingdom
Hull
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Gameman wrote:

Sadly they don't include electronic version of the rules in either edition

We're a bit late to the party, but are a bit confused. We have Masters Gallery and two versions of modern art - but they appear to be significantly different. The Mayfair version has bidding and screens, and the yellow airplane Gyphon games seems to have neither, like Masters Gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is about Modern Art: The Card Game (and its almost identical twin, Masters Gallery). Not Modern Art - that is a different game (an auction game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pam & Tim Kelsey
United Kingdom
Hull
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:
This thread is about Modern Art: The Card Game (and its almost identical twin, Masters Gallery). Not Modern Art - that is a different game (an auction game).
Well, how weird is that. Our modern art (card game) looks very similar to a version of modern art. Ah well, mystery solved. Turns out we've gained an additional game rather than another copy of the same game. Great! 😊

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Neff
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:

I just posted another thread to have someone explain the difference between the three games.

I am confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chrisrob wrote:
MLBath wrote:

I just posted another thread to have someone explain the difference between the three games.

I am confused.

I've just replied to that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.