Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
One feature that is underutilized on BGG would be a huge boon if only enough data were captured.

I'm talking about proper game logging.

If people actually filled in the game length and entered player names (or initials or anything) along with scores, we could see some vital information on the game pages, such as:

# Players . . . Average Game Time . . . Average Winning Score
2 . . . . . . . . 65 minutes . . . . . . . 385
3 . . . . . . . . 46 minutes . . . . . . . 291
4 . . . . . . . . 39 minutes . . . . . . . 211

Wouldn't that be great? (The answer is a resounding YES!)

But it seems that while a lot of people log their plays, very few input more data than that they just played a game.

I suggest a modest GG incentive system.

What if you gave people who put the game length and individual player scores a geek dime for each game they enter into the log? Maybe only allow one dime per game per day. Then, we'd build up some decent data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if people logged the detail, is there a way to run the data (and capture it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Even if people logged the detail, is there a way to run the data (and capture it)?
One step at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peacock
Canada
Montréal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What if you gave people who put the game length and individual player scores a geek dime for each game they enter into the log?

Bad idea, you will end up with people who log plays just for geekgold, and no way to be sure the data is true.

I mean just look at geekmod, some awful pics go thru just so people can make a geekpenny.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to get all those stats. I log plays pretty fully (though I no longer log play time, I kept forgetting to record it), but it is a thankless task.

Better than a GG incentive would be a simple overhaul of the logging system - remove the faults it has had since the last time it was looked at, add a bit of extra functionality, make it slicker. It is not like we haven't had a ton of good suggestions to improve the system over the years.

And if the reward is some good quality data for stats geeks like you to spin into gold, then I believe it would be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see definite troubles with a GG award. But in the idea of "one step at a time," I wonder how much simple awareness could help.

I log plays, but with no info. But it's always just been for my own interest. It honestly never occurred to me that anyone else might want that info.

Another way to get out info on games I like, or to warn folks away from stinkers? Hellyeah! Especially when put alongside an individual user's ratings and comments, I can (now) see how that could really help someone researching a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

I beg to differ. Who would want to take notes every time a new game starts, what time it is, how long the game took, with whom he played, etc.? This would be no fun for me... Statistics can be interesting, but here we'd reach a point where analyzing would become more important than just playing the game.

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I beg to differ. Who would want to take notes every time a new game starts
I don't think anyone is suggesting it would become compulsory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I beg to differ. Who would want to take notes every time a new game starts
I don't think anyone is suggesting it would become compulsory.

And I didn't take it as such. But then, how useful would that information be if only a small percentage entered their real statistics anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
And I didn't take it as such. But then, how useful would that information be if only a small percentage entered their real statistics anyway?
There are about 200k registered users if I remember correctly.

If a really, really small percentage (say 0.1%) of those recorded their plays that would still give you an extremely useful (and very statistically relevant) sample of 200 users.

Actually, the percentage is not that small. There were 250,000 plays recorded in 2009 of the top 5 games alone.

Even if a few people made their numbers up, the sheer volume of people who bother to record plays for real would overwhelm any noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
dyvdav wrote:
you will end up with people who log plays just for geekgold, and no way to be sure the data is true.

I mean just look at geekmod, some awful pics go thru just so people can make a geekpenny.
I thought about that. If that's a valid fear, then just give some GG for every 10 days where they entered at least one proper logging. That way, sure, they can put in one bogus game every day for a week and a half just to get their fake money. There's got to be some sufficiently low incentive that is still a reasonable reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say:

As the OP described, once a minimum number of detailed plays has been logged, show a stats section with average game length, scores, etc.

Make no GG rewards otherwise, as others have mentioned, people would start logging tons of phony plays which would ruin the whole idea. Not many users would do this, but enough to sink the ship.

Keeping the play-logging system without rewards means the only people doing it would be those without an ulterior motive.

And yes, I log plays with details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I beg to differ. Who would want to take notes every time a new game starts, what time it is, how long the game took, with whom he played, etc.? This would be no fun for me... Statistics can be interesting, but here we'd reach a point where analyzing would become more important than just playing the game.

Just my 2 cents...

I already have trouble logging the games as it is now! As in, I rarely add them since I forget too and when I think of it I'm not sure which, when and how many times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

Just my 2 cents...;)

I already have trouble logging the games as it is now! As in, I rarely add them since I forget too and when I think of it I'm not sure which, when and how many times :)
Then don't log them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Randy Cox wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

Just my 2 cents...

I already have trouble logging the games as it is now! As in, I rarely add them since I forget too and when I think of it I'm not sure which, when and how many times
Then don't log them.

Yeah, but if you're forced to supply even more info I will log even less! So, optional would be best...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
A resounding yes! Love the idea.
If I am looking for a game that is shorter than 4 hours, this would be good statistical info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Engoduun wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

Just my 2 cents...

Then don't log them.

Yeah, but if you're forced to supply even more info I will log even less! So, optional would be best...

It's not a question of forcing you to give more information, just trying to find a way to encourage more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if the data was more readably available for use and maybe even actually used, those that would add the information for the intrinsic value to the community would be more inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.