Subject: Aviary image editing tools now all free rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop a note in to let you know about this. As of today all of the image editing tools over at aviary.com are now free. For those who aren't familiar, Aviary is a set of web based programs for both raster and vector image editing, as well as markup and collaboration. It was cooked up and developed by a bunch of people over at worth100.com , and huge community of a half mil digital artists.

I've wanted to mention Aviary during several of the recent image software based discussions, but as it wasn't totally free until now there wasn't much of a real advantage for it over other free / Open Source software. I've been using it casually since the beta, and I'll be the first to admit that Adobe programs and Inkscape / GIMP are better for many BGG user applications. The main drawback is that files can't be saved locally, everything has to be saved on their [free] site accounts - but you can save privately if you wish, and exports and be made in many common image formats - but for free, and especially for collaborative and web based / no-install software work, it's well worth a look/try.

Aviary is a nifty set of tools for what it is and the advantages of it being free and web/browser based are nice if you're looking for that sort of thing. Also, since it is free there's not a whole lot of effort or drawback to just simply try it out. Nothing to install or download - you can just go there and load it and work and play with it. There are even sample images you can load and experiment with to see how they are put together, and they have tutorials on line as well for their suite of apps.

Please note too, they are Flash based apps so you will need to have Flash installed and to unblock aviary.com if you NoScript or AdBlock sites by default.

Disclaimer; This post is not a paid/sponsored endorsement, I'm just a fan of nice tools to get stuff done.

more info at http://aviary.com/faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the link to the graphics freeware thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/345848/graphics-cafe-pos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.