Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a list of games for my son that grandma could buy for his birthday next month. The games need to be in print. My son, and his sisters, enjoy Caribou. Can anyone help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These come to mind...

Gulo Gulo
Animal Upon Animal
Villa Paletti
Rat-a-Tat Cat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick has some great games (especially try to get Gulo Gulo), and...

Viva Topo!
Hisss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junior Labyrinth
Kids of Carcassonne

Happy birthday to your son!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Gulo Gulo.

For my five year old, I went with the basic Labyrinth instead of the Junior flavor ~ they seemed pretty much the same except for number of rows/size of pieces and I couldn't see any difference in game play. Of course, while he liked the game, he didn't latch on to it the way he has Gulo Gulo.

Abagio is another one that Mr. B really liked ~ it's a good one to introduce abstract games, as it's simple, and the whole "frog jumping into the pond" thing seems to really entertain him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 5 year old who has enjoyed Chicken Cha-Cha for awhile now. Got it when he was 4 1/2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my son's favorite games when he was 4:
Monza
PitchCar (started playing this at 3)
Max

Walter Wick Can You See What I See? (I think we might have got this when he was 5. But it would be fine for a 4 year old)

I thought he would like Gulo Gulo and Viva Topo, but they were only ok with him. Not ones he would ask to play. Tier auf Tier is good now, but was a bit too hard for him when he just turned 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gave a 4 year old Gulo Gulo this past January. She LOVED it. She is now teaching it to people. She's a smart cookie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add Duck, Duck, Bruce and Rat-a-Tat Cat - both were big hits with my daughter at age 4 and she still loves them at 5.

Also a second for Kids of Carc which is currently a huge hit with my 5 y.o. and should work well at 4.

Edit: Whoops! Rat a Tat Cat was already suggested --- seconded, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While these are not going to be taken seriously, my four year old loves both Agricola (aka The Farm Game) and Ticket to Ride (aka The Train Game).

Now, in Agricola, he doesn't exactly play 'by the rules', but he loves trying to build his farm and always wants a cooking pot to cook his vegetables. He understands what happens when you put your grain and vegetables on the fields (grains get two and veggies get 1 added to them), and he understands what to do when you call for a harvest. He can even tell you what all the different colors and shapes of markers mean (his favorite is the sheep, and he tries to collect them all the time).

In Ticket to Ride, as long as you can mark his route endings, he will play right along with mommy and daddy to draw cards and try to connect his two cities (he only plays a single route at a time). He has to be helped on occasion, but he loves trying to match the colors and count the number of tickets he has. He even understands what the engine card means and that if he picks it up off the table he can't take another card.

Honestly, it is amazing to me how a child can take a game, have very little understanding of the rules, but can still make a fun time out of it. Some of the best times I've had trying to learn Agricola have been watching my son make animal noises while he's putting them in his pastures, or when he tells mommy she can't take another card because she got an engine.

Sometimes, especially with smarter children, thinking away from the norm is more fun. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
My four year old loves Blokus:

... and also My First Carcassonne:

Both pics were taken JUST BEFORE his fourth birthday - literally days before, if I remember right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 3, soon to be 4 old year old son loves Castle Panic.

It might have helped that his older brother played it near constantly for two months, but the younger one now knows the rules enough to be able to explain them to his grandmother. His "girlfriend" from school isn't so into it though when she comes over, so not sure if it will be a hit with your daughters.

I brought this to a sleep over for the 6 year old boys and it was a huge hit. When I see those kids at school they ask me when they can play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My kid has been playing Advanced Squad Leader since before birth. Once we realized his kicking was actually Morse code, it was easy from there to teach him the rules by thumping on mom's tummy, and then during play for him to communicate his moves on the board. Although of course mom had to move his counters around for him.

Now that he's out, though, it's kind of disappointing - all he does is drool and flop around on the floor. We're wondering if we imagined the whole ASL thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
My kid has been playing Advanced Squad Leader since before birth. Once we realized his kicking was actually Morse code, it was easy from there to teach him the rules by thumping on mom's tummy, and then during play for him to communicate his moves on the board. Although of course mom had to move his counters around for him.

Now that he's out, though, it's kind of disappointing - all he does is drool and flop around on the floor. We're wondering if we imagined the whole ASL thing.

Quality! laugh

You made my day. Thankyou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
Château Roquefort may be worth a look, though the game is recommended at 6+ years of age. You might look at Ghost Chase, but this might be a stretch as the age recommendation is for 8+ for this game, but if he's smart it may work out. Happy Birthday to your 4 year old and I hope you find the right game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ribbit is the best game ever for 4 year olds. germangames.com currently has it is stock. Phantoms vs Phantoms can also be really fun. funagain.com has it.

There may be other sources, but I just wanted to make sure you could get these somewhere in North America before I recommended them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your help. I will pass some of these ideas onto my mom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4-year old nephew really likes Animal Upon Animal and Chicken Cha Cha Cha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My daughter (4 years 3 months) has some favorites. In order of her currently preference:

Kids of Carcassonne (this is a huge fave right now, she asks to play it daily)
Hisss
Go Away Monster!
Sleeping Queens
Wig Out
Gobblet

On my short list to buy for her:

Gulo Gulo
Hey! That's my Fish! (this one is being shipped right now actually! )
Hive
Chicken Cha Cha Cha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.