7 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: Got SOTF (Yay!)...are Grave Dead Zombies moot now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandr Sirotkin
Canada
flag msg tools
It seems to me that Grave Dead Weapons (SOTF) are better than the Grave Dead Zombies (GH) themselves. If given the option between choosing either special rule, I would take the weapons.

Weapons:
- Cost 2 zombie spawns to draw and play a weapon card.
- Card benefit is somewhat random.
- Card can be applied to any zombie already in play not adjacent to a hero.
- Only 8 zombies on the board may have weapons. No one zombie can have more than one weapon.
- Can be used 20 times.

VS

Grave Dead:
- Cost 2 zombie spawns to place a grave dead zombie at a spawning put.
- Zombie itself has a ability randomly determined at the start of the game.
- You have 7 grave dead zombies and once they are dead, they are dead forever.

They both cost the same amount in 'spawns' (the new zombie currency), but in general it seems that weapons have more powerful effects and the limit difference can be huge in a game with auto-spawn. Only issue with the Weapons is that each time it's random what you get, while grave dead give you an idea early on of what you are getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue I've had with the Grave Dead in the past is the random determination - some of the types are flat-out better than others, and others work well in some scenarios but not others.

Now with grave weapons as a choice, I'd agree that Grave Dead don't really have any appeal.

I've been thinking of reducing their dot cost by one, and/or possibly just allowing the Zombie player(s) to pick which type of Grave Dead outright. The cost to benefit ratio always did seem a little high, and now I don't see the rule having a chance with Grave Weapons as competition.

Of course, you could always play with both, but would you really want to give the heroes so many dots to spend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Of course, you could always play with both, but would you really want to give the heroes so many dots to spend?

Well, technically the Grave Weapons and the Unique Items/Survival Tactics balance each other out. You would only need to give the Heroes dots equal to the Grave Dead. Maybe give them some Starting Cards or a Card Pool or a Townsfolk Hero or something.

I'd also like to point out that a Grave Weapon costs three zombies (one existing zombie and then two more zombies to equip the weapon), where the Grave Dead only cost two zombies to create.

If a particular scenario calls for Auto Spawn already, I would love to try out both Grave Dead and Grave Weapons at the same time. You'd have some seriuosly beefed up Zombies running around. Maybe the Rescue the Townsfolk Scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just discussed this yesterday, and came to the agreement that from now on, we would allow the zombie player to choose his grave dead, as it is already being done with radioactive dead.

As we see it, this gives some comparative usefullnes for the Grave Dead:

1. The ability to spawn 7 more zombies.
2. You know what you get and can modify it to the current scenario.
3. The fun of getting a grave dead, with a grave weapon!!! Oh, the horror!!!

We dont think the cost should be reduced, as Grave Dead are balanced out with free search markers (where we always use exploration markers...).

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I play with both (I have the Red Grave Weapon figurines). I must say that the Grave Dead did'nt lose their fear/power factor.

In my group adding Grave Dead for zombies means adding exploration markers for heroes.

The way I play it is putting as soon as possible the Grave Dead in play (except when it is the pack mentality), then when all are in play I start playing with the Grave Weapons.
I like all powers, and with barricades pack mentality has the benefit to help spawn inside a barricaded building.

Grave Dead with Grave weapons can be deadly and trust me heroes pray to find a ranged weapon to take them out without a fight.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Grave dead + Grave weapon = just about the scariest thing on the field. Grave dead that has two wounds or rolls 2 fight dice plus a weapon (especially recently dead) can be really really lethal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
msg tools
mbmb
the double "bloated"... Heroes shot him ten times and he was still up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.