Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II» Forums » Rules

Subject: New cards questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PART RANKS AND PASS THROUGH states that each ordered unit (except war machines) may move two hexes and still battle.

Does this rule apply to those units that can move only one hex? Medium and heavy infantry, for example. I assume yes.

Does this rule apply to those units that can’t normally move two hexes and battle? Auxilia, for example. I assume yes.

Can a player use this command card to order units that are not blocked by friendly units?

RETIRE AND REFORM states: "After movement is complete, the unit may reform and if the unit is under strength, one lost block is gained back."

What is the definition of "reform"? Is it the same as "one lost block is gained back"? Should the rule have been written as "After movement is complete, the unit may reform (if the unit is under strength, one lost block is gained back)"?

May a unit retire without reforming?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, and yes. In general, if the cards say you can do it, you can do it. "Each ordered unit may move two hexes and still battle" is pretty clear. If there was an exception, it would list it.
Likewise, you can use the card to order units that are not blocked.

Reform is the same as getting one block back. I see your point on the wording. If the unit did not have a loss, it would still 'reform' but notionally I guess.

Yes, a unit may retire without reforming.Wording in the rule says "after movement the unit MAY reform". You don't have to have a loss to retire.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve.

I had assumed what you confirmed. Words have meaning and "may" does not equal "must."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another couple of questions about part ranks and pass through.

What about cavalry that can normally move 3-4 hexes and still battle. Are they limited to 2 if they pass through or can they use their full movement? -I'm guessing the answer to this is yes.

Can you "hopscotch" units forward. i.e. move unit 1 though unit 2 so that it ends up in front and then move unit 3 through unit 1 to be even further forward? - I'm guessing the answer is no due to the rule that you can't order a unit that is passed through, but can anyone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you are limited to 2 hexes (max) if cavalry is behind a unit and you use "Part Ranks and Pass Through" to move through.

A unit that is passed thorough may not be ordered, so your example cant be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.