Hide
9 Posts

Descent: The Sea of Blood» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cannons and skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Honn
msg tools
For those who have started playing, do you allow the heroes (and monsters) to use skills and special abilities on cannons? I.e. do you let a hero that gets +2 damage on Ranged attack use that skill with one of the Ranged cannons? And how is this working out?

We will start playing next week and I still haven't decided how to handle this. On one end, it might be necessary to use skills on cannons in order to defeat lieutenants, but on the other hand cannons then seem to become ridiculously powerful. I played a small trial encounter. Beastmen will do something like 6 damage with a cannon if they are allowed to use their damage boost, ignoring armour. Most heroes will die from two of those at the start. Not to mention how fast ships will sink as soon as the characters start getting some skills.

RAW skills can be used on cannons, but I am not sure they actually meant it that way, and I'm not sure what will work best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Massey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I believe that, in the section on manning cannons, it says that, when operating a cannon, "you make an attack using the cannon as your weapon for that attack," (paraphrasing) so you add your trait dice and skill bonuses as you would for any ranged/magic attack. Unofficial, of course, but that's my take.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Beastmen thing in particular. That's not as simple as a hero using the cannons because you could argue that the Beastman's attack is listed in full on the card as a melee attack and the Beastman would not receive his damage bonus on anything except that specific attack. The Giant would not receive Sweep and the Ogre would not receive Knockback for a cannon shot, IMO. I would think that the Monster attributes as listed would not apply to cannon shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually pretty sure they /were/ meant to be used that way, just like Traits are used with cannons, otherwise Cannons wouldn't be Ranged and Magic attacks, they'd just be special things that used dice.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
Jacob > Yes, the rules are fairly clear. I'm just wondering what the results are.

You do have a point with beastmen having a melee bonus and not a Ranged or Magic bonus, a melee hero would not be able to use his bonuses after all. Some skills would still work (like command and sorcery) but it would make it more managable and the heroes could still get skills to combat a hiding Siren and such. I think I will do it like that, thanks for the idea!

Now I just need to figure out if they reintroduced Poltergeist on purpose or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honn wrote:
Now I just need to figure out if they reintroduced Poltergeist on purpose or not

Nope, Poltergeist and Rolling Stone are still out. New FAQ posted March 12:
Quote:
Q: For advanced campaigns, in the FAQ, Rolling Stone and Poltergeist were removed, while Crushing Blow was restricted. This gets no mention in the rule book for Sea of Blood, while many other changes from the FAQ made it into the same rule book. Are these treachery cards still removed from the SoB advanced campaign? Do all FAQ rulings that refer to the "advanced campaign" apply to Sea of Blood as well as Road to Legend?
A: Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im wondering too how do you use the +2 beastmen dmg if they shot a cannon =).
Last day I didnt add the +2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ pg19
Q: Are hero abilities and skills applied to attacks made with cannons?

Q: Conversely, do monster abilities work with cannons?
A: No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
FAQ pg19
Q: Are hero abilities and skills applied to attacks made with cannons?

Q: Conversely, do monster abilities work with cannons?
A: No.

Sweet I miss that thank you Corbon, though its a bit weird they can use Blessing and BeastMen cant use Command=)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:

Nope, Poltergeist and Rolling Stone are still out. New FAQ posted March 12:

Ed,
FYI they reposted another FAQ version on Mar 18 (which is the current 'latest'). I only found out a few weeks ago. The only differences from Mar12 are some small things on the last page (so SoB) I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.