Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalOak wrote:
Just got the game, and I've not got farther than taking a look at the value units.

Again, I don't count unit resistance (number of steps), nor stacking. Just plain number : for each 1000 men, the 716th has in the game a value of defense of 5.53 points, the 12SS only 3.22.

Comments and thoughts ?

That's the problem. By not taking that into account, you're skewing the results in a huge way.

Calculate the values at each step level and the results change (several of the 716 battalions only have two steps)

..But better yet, set them up on plain, clear terrain map and fight it out. I think you'll find that 12ss division will simply crush 716 ID consistently.

There is Combined Arms to take into account, and how the unit values work within the context of the CRT and game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oops; not "unit values worth" - "unit values WORK". I fixed my post, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul,

I wanted to follow-up a bit on this.

There is a sort of compression to the unit values in the game. That is, if it was based on straight numbers/equipment values, then a basic infantry break-down company might have a 1 strength and a fully equipped panther battalion might have a 16. Note that these numbers are just for discussion purposes, and don't represent anything.

That's where design work really kicks in. To keep the numbers involved in attacks manageable, the unit values are compressed down a bit so that that panther battalion might be an 8 instead of 16, while the infantry company remains a 1.

Straight up, that wouldn't work and the game would probably end up broken, with unit values skewed all over.

However, other factors come into play. An OST battalion will usually only have two steps to the panther battalion's three. Also, if out of supply the OST surrender rule kicks in and they lose a step without combat.

The tanks also might provide Combined Arms (a powerful DRM that may be applied, or not, after the die roll at the player's discretion)

There is also the way that combat works; the ability to apply multiple hexes against one, the terrain, and how losses within the CRT are applied to both the attacker and defender. (As an aside, you might find that at times, an Allied air modifier puts you into a result you may not have preferred; another deliberate function of the CRT..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul,

Glad to do it!

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll find that most often, you'll be asking yourself, "What happened to the 716th division?" and most often they have ended-up on the Missing Persons rolls.. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.