Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Stronghold» Forums » Rules

Subject: Double Dispatch and Unit Swapping... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

Playing tonight for the first time and i have 2 questions lingering:

1) I have heard people speak here on the boards being able to do a double dispatch. This can only be done for a 3-4 player game, correct? i see nowhere in the rules to allow a double dispatch in a 2 player game.

2) Re: the defenders "swapping places" ability. Can ANY 2 units be swapped?

ie: -a unit in a building with a unit on the walls?
-a unit on a wall on the left side of the board with a unit on a right wall?
-engaged units?

3) and while we're on the topic of moving units, the rules say that you can move a hero to the courtyard.. why on earth would anyone ever do that?


thx in advance all!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:

1) I have heard people speak here on the boards being able to do a double dispatch. This can only be done for a 3-4 player game, correct? i see nowhere in the rules to allow a double dispatch in a 2 player game.


It can be used in a two-player game. Each action on the Invader's Phase cards can be performed once each. Since there are two dispatch actions on the Phase 6 card, the Invader can take both Dispatch actions and move 7 units from each foreground/rampart with one action and 5 from each with the second. This gives the Defender a total of 8 Hourglasses, however (5+3).


slyde wrote:
2) Re: the defenders "swapping places" ability. Can ANY 2 units be swapped?

ie: -a unit in a building with a unit on the walls?
-a unit on a wall on the left side of the board with a unit on a right wall?
-engaged units?


The Defender can have units swap places only if each unit could have normally moved to their new location by spending only one time. So they can swap from adjacent wall sections, but not ones further. They can swap from the courtyard as well. However, if there is a Gale on the wall section, the cost is higher to move into the section and swapping is no longer allowed. Engaged units do not matter and can swap since the battle does not happen until after all Hourglasses are spent and the players move to the Assault Phase.


slyde wrote:
3) and while we're on the topic of moving units, the rules say that you can move a hero to the courtyard.. why on earth would anyone ever do that?


To cross the courtyard. To get my Officer on a West wall section to the East wall section, I need to move through the Courtyard first since the walls are not adjacent. So I spend 1 Hourglass to move to the Courtyard, then 1 more to get to the East wall section. If I didn't have enough Hourglasses, I could stop in the Courtyard so that during the next Assault Phase, I have the flexibility to move to any wall section from there for just 1 Hourglass.


Hope that helps and enjoy the game tonight!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks charles, that was actualy a huge help.

i hadnt considered the courtyard as a stopover point for the heroes, but it makes sense.

as a followup, can i give a unit multiple move orders on 1 turn (spending the required 1 hourglass per move?)

and while im at it, i'd like to confirm something. Paying the 1 hourglass will let you move ONE unit, correct? (not as many as you wish?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct on both counts for the Defender. One Hourglass moves one unit, but you can do this a number of times only limited by the Hourglasses you have each Phase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome! i think i'm (FINALLY) ready to play.

thx again!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite yet:

The Defender will crush the Invader in your first game.

There. Now you're ready.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thinwhiteduke wrote:
Not quite yet:

The Defender will crush the Invader in your first game.

There. Now you're ready.


lol! though we havent discussed it yet, i actually plan on playing defender tonight. I have thought about how i would play as an invader, but i think i'd like to see how someone else goes about it before i give it a shot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thinwhiteduke wrote:
Not quite yet:

The Defender will crush the Invader in your first game.

There. Now you're ready.


He's right. The Invader is much trickier to play! But the game is wonderfully tense and enjoyable regardless. And gets better and better as you explore it more. You constantly want to revisit it to try something else out, both as the Invader and the Defender. Enjoy
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
im looking forward to it... thx Tom.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumping in here for confirmation:

I've been playing that the swap action for the defender worked for any unit. But it seems that it's only between:
1. Units on adjacent walls
2. Units on a wall and the courtyard

Is this correct? Am i missing any examples?

I'm quickly learning why the invader wasnt winning any of my initial games ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
darlok wrote:
jumping in here for confirmation:

I've been playing that the swap action for the defender worked for any unit. But it seems that it's only between:
1. Units on adjacent walls
2. Units on a wall and the courtyard

Is this correct? Am i missing any examples?

I'm quickly learning why the invader wasnt winning any of my initial games ;-)

Any adjacent units. all combinations of when units are adjacent are in the rulebook. I thinkk it will be easier to tell you with units are NOT adjacent .
1)tower-tower
2)wall-not adjacent wall
So if you have two units in above locations you cannot swap them, otherwise you can.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
michal is dead on.


thats how i ended up playing it, anyway
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mbronkowski wrote:
darlok wrote:
jumping in here for confirmation:

I've been playing that the swap action for the defender worked for any unit. But it seems that it's only between:
1. Units on adjacent walls
2. Units on a wall and the courtyard

Is this correct? Am i missing any examples?

I'm quickly learning why the invader wasnt winning any of my initial games ;-)

Any adjacent units. all combinations of when units are adjacent are in the rulebook. I thinkk it will be easier to tell you with units are NOT adjacent .
1)tower-tower
2)wall-not adjacent wall
So if you have two units in above locations you cannot swap them, otherwise you can.


Christ, this should have been in the rulebook...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.