Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Meeting Friday 13th September from 7PM

When? Second Friday every month from 7PM until around 4AM

Where? Kings Cafe which is situated above Aldi, 86 London Road, Lexden, CO3 9DW. Please use the car park spaces at the back of the car park, which are labelled Kingsland Church. Very occasionally we are in one of the meeting rooms out the back. When this is the case there is a sign on the door of the main cafe.

Who? All welcome. We get around 20 along each month in total with people arriving and leaving at different times.

What? All sorts of games but more Eurogames than anything else.

Cost? Free

If you have any questions message me (or post below).

Our facebook group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/colchester.board.gamers/

2019 Dates
11th January
8th February
8th March
12th April
10th May
14th June
12th July
9th August
13th September
11th October
8th November
13th December

First post edited with relevant details. Original first post below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning to start a new games group in Colchester, mainly to play Eurogames.

I have been offered the use of Kings Cafe in Colchester for free.

First meeting will be on the 12th March from 7PM onwards. We are planning another one on the 9th April and hopefully the 2nd Friday of each month after that, and perhaps we could meet more often if it takes off.

You can just turn up on the night but it would be very helpful if you could message me if you are planning to come so that I will have some idea of how many people to expect. Please bring any games you would like to play.

Kings Cafe is situated above the new Aldi, 86 London Road, Lexden, in Kingsland Church. Please use the car park spaces at the back of the car park, which are labelled Kingsland Church.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or post below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the best with your endeavours from your games playing neighbours in Chelmsford (Tuesday evenings in The Queens Head).

Before your first meeting, from 5th to 7th March, we are holding the third annual SoRCon at the Ramada Hotel, Colchester. Perhaps we may see you there. For details see http://www.sorcon.co.uk You might even find some recruits. If you are able to spread the word around your parts that would be much appreciated.

We also plan to hold at least one Essex Games Day (we had one in 2009) where we had a Writtle (near Chelmsford) village hall for a Sunday near Chelmsford.

Also see http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/ttngc for details of the Chelmsford Games Club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm booked into SoRCon and have invited everyone I know. It should be a great weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Now if only you could start the club in town rather than out at Stanway cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexden is a short bus ride from Town and I can give you a lift back if that would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You are of course right but, unfortunately, I usually work until 7ish on Fridays at the earliest and it's too much of a hassle to bus it out there after I've gone home and changed. Good to know the club is there, though - hopefully I can make it down at some point. I'll also be at SorCon next month so I'll see you there. Out of curiosity, is it aligned with the wargaming or RPG club that meets out in that area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not.

I investigated the Colchester Wargames club but it didn't sound like they played many Euros there and it was quite expensive. As you say they focus on wargames and RPGs so I thought I'd try to set something up that was a bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bruce
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, this has piqued my interest. If I'm free I might well come along and depending on timing/availability perhaps my wife too.

Best of luck with the club!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim R.
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
The 12th is my birthday

But I haven't planed anything, so it is very likely that me and my partner will show up and maybe bring a game or two.

Regarding SorCon: Oh, I thought we totally missed it (again) because it was in early february last year. Is it possible to just show up on sunday or should we book tickets in advance? Unfortunately my partner has to work on saturday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tim - sent you a pm about SorCon; see you there if you make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be moving to Colchester in a few weeks so will definitely be wanting to come along. Come April 9th we'll probably still be unpacking and settling in, so I'll either be swamped with boxes and unable to get out, or swamped with boxes and desperate to get out!

Either way I'll be looking forward to making this a regular fixture.

See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first meeting is all set to go ahead on Friday. I am expecting around 10 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the first meeting go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time playing board games until 2am.

Numbers were lower than anticipated. We will definatly do the next one on April 9th but if numbers do not improve then we won't continue in May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Finkhaeuser
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
I'll aim to be there on the 9th. Sounds like a plan, at least

Though what I'm really looing for in all honesty is a regular RPG group. Does anyone know one looking for more people by any chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Han Shot First wrote:
I had a great time playing board games until 2am.

Numbers were lower than anticipated. We will definatly do the next one on April 9th but if numbers do not improve then we won't continue in May.

Surely you need to go for a few months to allow word to spread?

Anyway, I hope to make it down there at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're all set for another board games night at Kings cafe on Friday 9th April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Finkhaeuser
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
Turns out that I won't be able to make it, work-related travel plans are interfering I do hope you'll give it another attempt after this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The parking might be busier than usual on Friday because there is a meeting on at the church at 7:30. If you arrive around 7PM you should be fine and after 8PM you can use the A L D I car park spaces because they close at 8PM. If there is no space in the Kingland spaces at the back of the car park there is plenty of parking available nearby.

We will be in the cafe, which is right in front of you when entering the building. Don't let yourself get shepherded into the main meeting hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be there, assuming that Argos get my new shelves to me not too late in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another enjoyable nights gaming happened on the 9th April.

We will game again on Friday 14th May. Please PM me or post below if you will be coming. If numbers will be low then I will host it at my house near Marks Tey. If numbers are looking better then I will try to get the cafe again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Now this time I will definitely be there, and under my own steam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Finkhaeuser
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
Sign me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be meeting again in Kings Cafe next Friday 14th May from 7PM onwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to numbers and how long, atvrhe Chelmsford club we went for a long time (years as I recall) with four members fortnightly. But eventually news spread and now we are weekly and while half a dozen is our most common number, that's from over ten people (we don't have formal membership lists, some are very occasional) and so I don't feel guilty if I have to miss (as I did this week with toothache).

But my bottom line suggestion is keep at it, which has two parts - keep meeting and keep using any avenue you can find to get the world out. Can you get Lingards Games to help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |