Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Walkin' Dead card has the text "Automatic Fight" instead of the text "Run" or "Fight".

I couldn't find this referenced anywhere in the rules.

Does anyone have guidance on how this should be played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Jordan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine simply states Fight.

Kerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdjordan wrote:
Mine simply states Fight.

Kerry

That's possible. I got the text from here:

It came up because I was thinking about how the undead should be handled... i.e. can you really sit around gambling and prospecting if there's an unfriendly zombie walking around.

I didn't have my copy handy so I just looked in the archive to see if there was an image... and there was.

But, perhaps it didn't make it into print.

I guess then I would ask if anyone knows what the intent of automatic fight was at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rick,
I know what the intent was...

Anyway, the way it works is this: Whenever one of the walking dead is revealed, it must be fought. You can't convert them like the other townsfolk.

Also, the other poster is correct. The image on here is of an older card that was changed before the final version.
Cheers,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbreitenstein wrote:
Also, the other poster is correct. The image on here is of an older card that was changed before the final version.

Ahhh, that explains it.

toddbreitenstein wrote:
Anyway, the way it works is this: Whenever one of the walking dead is revealed, it must be fought. You can't convert them like the other townsfolk.

I like that better.

I'm certainly not an expert on the Deadlands universe, but I don't think Fido-like zombies are the norm.

We didn't see any rule that said you had to fight a Walkin' Dead so it seemed a little anti-thematic to go about your business shopping, gambling, etc. while the Walkin' Dead stumbled about.

To deal with this we thought of implementing the following rule:
In a location with a face-up Walkin' Dead encounter card, a dude is limited to fighting the Walkin' Dead or running. Action tokens are limited to those that attack the Walkin' Dead (Fight, Spell, Miracle, Gadget) or Run.

A building with a Walkin' Dead cannot be controlled. The Walkin' Dead disrupts the normal activities of the building so no benefit can be obtained from controlling the building.

We also thought it would be interesting if, at the end of the turn, the Walkin' Dead moved to a random building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Jordan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
I'm certainly not an expert on the Deadlands universe, but I don't think Fido-like zombies are the norm.

The Walkin' Dead in the Deadlands universe are not the shambling zombies from the Romero films. They are quick and clever, and I believe it is debatable whether they are much different from Harrowed. However, the Walkin' Dead are actually fully demon-possessed corpses (whereas Harrowed "fight" the demon for control).

Kerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdjordan wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

The Walkin' Dead in the Deadlands universe are not the shambling zombies from the Romero films. They are quick and clever, and I believe it is debatable whether they are much different from Harrowed. However, the Walkin' Dead are actually fully demon-possessed corpses (whereas Harrowed "fight" the demon for control).

Kerry

Yup. I had forgotten that they're not Romeroesque zombies but bodies with the Manitou in control.

The difference seemed to be that the harrowed share the body between the original soul and the manitou, while the manitou in a walkin' dead is the only presence.

And, as it mentioned, although the manitou is in control they're not into blatant destruction since that would draw the attention of those that vehemently dislike them (like the Texas Ranger, Agency and Blessed).

So, I guess on second thought it's not anti-thematic at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbreitenstein wrote:
I know what the intent was...

Cheers,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.

Does that mean that the original intent was you always had to fight the walking dead, but in the existing/published version you don't?

I do notice that they can't be recruited and they have nothing to steal, so they seem kind of pointless if you don't have to automatically fight them when revealed.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roundy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
rvinyard wrote:
kdjordan wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

Kerry

Yup. I had forgotten that they're not Romeroesque zombies but bodies with the Manitou in control.

The difference seemed to be that the harrowed share the body between the original soul and the manitou, while the manitou in a walkin' dead is the only presence.

And, as it mentioned, although the manitou is in control they're not into blatant destruction since that would draw the attention of those that vehemently dislike them (like the Texas Ranger, Agency and Blessed).

So, I guess on second thought it's not anti-thematic at all.

According to DL cannon, Manitou animating a walkin' dead don't care about subtlety because they know it's only temporary, used to increase fear in the populace. When the walkin' dead is killed, the manitou chuckles to itself and returns to the hunting grounds as a free spirit. Manitou don't care who or what they animate as a walkin' dead because they can't be killed while possessing a body. When a manitou finds a truely tough hombre (represented by points of "Grit" in the RPG), he doesn't just inhabit the body, it permanently binds with the original soul, then animates the corpse. A manitou in a harrowed's head is there forever and now CAN be killed, that's why harrowed are rare and then only the baddest hombres around. To quote The Prospector - "What Harrowed and Manitou have joined, let no man cut asunder."

I can understand a harrowed's mental stats going down due to the mental onslaught of fighting for control, but harrowed are stronger, faster, tougher, and deadlier after crawling up from their dirtnap. Their shootin', fightin' and agility should go UP, if anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.