Popular Tags: [View All]
eric knox
Canada
Woodstock-1h from capital of NB
New brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game intrigues me and would like to get it.

The problem is that my wife has an attention span of 1 hour max.
Does this mean that we cannot play this?

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
You cannot play this game in one hour. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brightton wrote:
This game intrigues me and would like to get it.

The problem is that my wife has an attention span of 1 hour max.
Does this mean that we cannot play this?

Any suggestions?

play a shorter game. seriously, though, campaign manager 08. it's shorter with some of the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How long does the 'Late War' scenario in the latest edition take?

[I wouldn't know - i got the 2nd edition - bah!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Win quickly.

I played two games less than 1 hour last weekend. (Ended on turn 4 and 5).

Seriously, I think the game flies right by, but if 1 hour is the max then it might not work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Bessette
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until the Defcon is at 2 and then launch a coup in a Battleground country.

That should end things pretty fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could try playing for an hour, leaving the game set up how it is, and then playing more the next night. That's how my wife and I get through War of the Ring (First Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes.

Step 1: Set timer for 1 hour.
Step 2: Start game
Step 3: Play game until timer goes off
Step 4: Look at score. Whoever is leading wins the game. If tied, you tie.

They have a time limit for tournament play, right? What are the time limit rules? You could just apply the same rules just at 1 hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
Maybe you could try playing for an hour, leaving the game set up how it is, and then playing more the next night. That's how my wife and I get through War of the Ring (First Edition).

My wife and I do the same thing, but it's usually so that we can play some of the bigger stuff on evenings during the week and such. We'll leave Twilight Struggle, Runebound (Second Edition), Descent: Journeys in the Dark, etc going and we'll stop whenever it's time to move on to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Late War scenario (which comes printed in the Deluxe edition rulebook, but can also be found online in the files section here) can be finished within about an hour if played without too much analysis between Action Rounds. However, you are only getting a taste of the game in the Late War scenario... for the full experience you have to play from Turn 1.

I haven't played Campaign Manager 2008, but I have been reading the rules and reviews, and it seems like a better option if you are looking for something with play time under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try playing using the fantastic module from WarGameRoom at www.wargameroom.com/downloads.htm, which takes care of all the fiddly details of gameplay for you and enforces the rules and card interactions, as well. Granted, this is not the same as playing over-the-board, but it would probably make playing a complete game in one hour feasible. My friend and I often get a game in on our lunch break at work and have yet to run over our alloted hour.

Of course, you are expected to own a copy of the boardgame if you want to use the game modules at wargameroom, so that might be the excuse you need to make the purchase!

Good luck, TS is definitely worth getting... one way or another.

:edited for spelling:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the Late War Scenario. It only takes 3 turns to play and involves a good bit of fun and luck. The US has to achieve a 20 point victory to win while the USSR has to just hold on or play Wargames to end things early. Neat little scenario and shouldn't take too long at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only people I know who play TS in one hour know the game inside and out and play online.

I don't think TS fits your wife's criteria, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoided getting this game for over 3 years, simply because of my concern that the time limit wouldn't go down well with the limited attention spans (less than 1 hour) of my principle gaming partners - my two teenage sons.

I finally give in and picked up a copy two weeks ago when the Deluxe edition hit Australian shores.

We have now played three games (each lasting around 3 hours) and my kids can't get enough - even although it exceeds their maximum pay time by a factor 3-4. We found it to be an intense and completely immersive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is an easy way to make this game last well under an hour. Drive Defcon down to 2 just as quickly as you can, and then launch a coup in a battleground country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the Late War Scenario (either from the Deluxe Edition rules, or get a copy of it from C3i's web site).

Should clock in around 45-60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Yes, there is an easy way to make this game last well under an hour. Drive Defcon down to 2 just as quickly as you can, and then launch a coup in a battleground country.

Or as Neil said a few posts above yours:

Wait until the Defcon is at 2 and then launch a coup in a Battleground country.

That should end things pretty fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Peters-Campbell
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the sarcastic advice aside: set the game up and play for an hour. You'll probably get at least through the early war. Have your wife play the USSR. At the end of the early war hour, she'll probably be in the lead. Declare her the winner, put the game away, and see if she is interested in playing again a week later.

If it's a game she likes, she'll be willing to play a little longer next time, maybe 4 turns instead of 3. Repeat ad infinitum, and whatever you do, don't spend the early few games trying to crush her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if your wife really likes the game likely she'll be fine with it playing 2 hours as apposed to 1 hour. My suggestion is have her read one of the reviews on BGG here of it and let her decide if it's something she might be interested in playing. That way she knows everything about it up front. If it's not her cup of tea then trying to trim it to an hour isn't going to help much.

As a husband in a similar situation as yourself I suggest coming at the situation of getting your spouse interested in gaming from the other end. Instead of trying to find games for her help her find games. Find out from her what she would like in a game and then go from there. It helped with my wife and I. She ended up picking Red November and while not a top 10 game for me she enjoys it and I enjoy playing with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same of my wife. I finally convinced her to play one day and we ended up playing 3 times in a row. like 12 hours of gaming. It is one of her favourite games and she routinely beats me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I haven't played Campaign Manager 2008, but I have been reading the rules and reviews, and it seems like a better option if you are looking for something with play time under an hour

WHY, oh why do people feel the need to profess their ignorance but give an opinion anyway!

Campaign Manager 2008 was designed by one of designers of Twilight Struggle, but it ALMOST NOTHING in common with TS. Yes, CM2K8 plays in less than an hour, abd it is very good game. But it has NONE of the flavor of Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question.
Has anyone got a condensed version of The lord of the rings film I could watch in an hour?.
Thumb me if you see what Im saying????????.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:
It is one of her favourite games and she routinely beats me.

I believe these things go together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.