Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulrich A
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the game, and I am split on the quality:

Good things:
*Aesthetically very pleasing.
*Rules seem sound- they are not over-complicated, but leave room for tactics.
*With many different deck combinations great replayability -reminds me of Dominion, in that respect.

Not good:
*Big, half-useless tracker board is taking a lot of table space: Prestige could be marked for both sides on *same* display, obviously. And why is it presumed that players aren´t able to halve/round up results (red numbers printed in the combat section)? This is very close to an insult, imo: You guys can´t be trusted to divide a number by 2, then round it up.

*Scenarios obviously untested: Practically every single setup has an error, some have a couple. What is so impossible about investing a few manhours in a thorough proofread?

Would give the game an 8-9 for what I like, but currently down to for being annoyed by the tracker board and the half-baked scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has only just been released, but the manual is already on version 1.3, which is unforgiveable. See if the download allays your complaints.

Games companies are getting more and more like Software companies in the rush to release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Luis Lorenzo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case the game has been designed by a software company
Now, in serious, I think is good that they are continuously improving the game. In the other side I´m still waiting (4 months) the promised Stronghold's new manual. I clearly prefer the support of this game.
Sorry for my poor english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, many game companies are adopting the 'fix it later' approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Luis Lorenzo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right, but in this case it's a luck we have the designers every days in this forum for any clarifications needed. Very few games are in the same situation. Their support is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich A
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
True, but you really shouldn´t need internet access to play a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya imagine if you didn't have an internet connection, the game is almost unplayable with the rules in the box. Of course the upside of that is you probably would never have heard of this game if you didn't have an internet connection, or an xbox 360 which you don't really need the rules to play it on.gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich A
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don´t just imagine the game is hardly playable as published, I am pretty much sure.

And I probably would have never heard of this game, if it hadn´t appeared at my local shop. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game nearly unplayable out of the box without internet support for rules clarification, errata, etc., try Field of Fire from GMT. Fortunately the company's doing a new rule book, and the designer is totally available to answer questions (of which there have been hundreds)--and it is one of the most innovative designs I've seen in years, which is one of the problems--but really....when a game costs as much as new games cost today, I want something playable first time out of the box, well edited and proofread. Seems like a reasonable thing to ask...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.