United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently purchased Homesteaders on the Myatomic.com website, they listed it as being in stock and processing with 24-48 hours. After it had not been sent in 2+ days I sent them an email asking if it was still processing. I received a form email back saying that they did not in fact have the game in stock and I could either wait for the game to be shipped, use the charge I had put on my credit card for something else that they had in stock, or get a refund. There was a phone number on the website so I called them.

I talked to Karl who was helpful enough, but he gave me a story that one of their warehouses was having a computer glitch and they were listing items that weren't in stock as being in stock. I asked how long they had been aware of the problem and he said it was at least a week.

I asked him why I would get an email from his company saying that the game I ordered wasn't in stock but their own website actually still listed it as available for purchase. He didn't have a good answer for me other than "we can't shut down the whole company for just a few items being out of stock".

Ultimately, they are issuing me a refund, which I guess solves the entire problem, but for them to STILL list the game as in stock right now (Karl mentioned that they were having the same issue for other games too, something called "Dominion" or something as he put it) after they are aware of the problem is fairly ridiculous in my opinion. They did state that the problem was that the computer glitch they were having prevented them from changing the website, but it all seemed a lot like smoke and mirrors to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same problem with the company when I ordered a game through Amazon (and fulfilled by myatomic). It was for Last Night on Earth. I really didn't get a good reason as to why they were out of stock, but I was given the choice of a refund or the chance to wait for the game to come back in stock. I opted for the refund, which I got soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing here a few months ago. I ordered a few copies of Numbers League and the expansion decks as gifts and received only the expansion decks (with an e-mail telling me they were out of the base game AFTER they'd sent the expansions). I replied that the expansions didn't do me much good without the base game and I wished they'd let me know before they'd sent that out. At any rate, I was able to refuse delivery on the expansions and they refunded everything, but it was a bit of a hassle. I hadn't had any problems with them previously when I'd ordered through their Amazon storefront.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Coe
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Tobago from them when no one else seemed to have it. I received the game quickly and had no problems. Sorry you didn't have a good experience as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
I have a feeling they don't keep inventory.

Sounds like you are correct based on the other replies. They probably figure they can just put an order with the distributer once a week if needed and delay things for perhaps a week before they ship and keep a few copies of Catan in stock. But an extra week can be a long time for people accustomed to getting things shipped out in a day or 2 from places like Boards and Bits. Plus, if the distributer is out of stock and promising they will get it in in a couple days, that can cause more time delays (and sometimes the distributer won't ever get any more in).

This is not a practice that helps customer service.

And its deceptive to advertise things as "in stock" when they are NOT in fact in stock. If the computer glitch story was legit, they could post a note on thier webpage front mentioning that and asking people to bear with them and since people would know that before placing orders, then they'd at least order with the knowledge that games might not be in stock.

But sounds like this has been going on a while so my guess is its thier standard practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
winner of over text contest
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I agree, it appears that their stock numbers don't get updated because I ordered a copy of Macao from them on Amazon last Friday and it said there was 2 in stock. It's still showing 2 in stock now (my game shipped on Mon and is expected to arrive today).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Haven't ordered from them since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodjh wrote:
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Haven't ordered from them since.

Ahh, Perry the Platipus, we meet again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from them on 3 or 4 occasions without issue. Their website is amateurish and a pain to navigate, I'm not surprised they'd have web-related problems that go unfixed.

It's a shame, their $25 free shipping threshold is quite nice for single game orders.

I've bought Cash N Guns, Vikings and Samurai from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a nickel for every web-basted vendor whose physical inventory wasn't accurate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy JIT,man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they're a drop shipper or JIT (Just in Time. order it after it's been bought) seller. Drop shipping seems to be a current trend in the hobby game web store market. from my experience so far as a retailer both online and local if they're using the big distributors, it's not a good business plan. All the major distributors have inventory issues and minimum 24 hour lag on updates. I have one distributor that has as many as 3 or 4 copies showing available for titles that they actually have been out of for months. They are generally too busy to make little fixes to data. As financially nice as it would be to not have to actually hold stock (taxes, space, etc) there is no way I would risk my business reputation on it. We actually stock our titles and unfortunately still get caught every once in a while due to a conflict between our web store and brick and mortar store using 2 databases but one inventory. Rare but it has happened a handful of times over the last year or so that someone in the store and online buys the same last copy of a title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
Sounds like they're a drop shipper or JIT (Just in Time. order it after it's been bought) seller. Drop shipping seems to be a current trend in the hobby game web store market. from my experience so far as a retailer both online and local if they're using the big distributors, it's not a good business plan. All the major distributors have inventory issues and minimum 24 hour lag on updates. I have one distributor that has as many as 3 or 4 copies showing available for titles that they actually have been out of for months. They are generally too busy to make little fixes to data. As financially nice as it would be to not have to actually hold stock (taxes, space, etc) there is no way I would risk my business reputation on it. We actually stock our titles and unfortunately still get caught every once in a while due to a conflict between our web store and brick and mortar store using 2 databases but one inventory. Rare but it has happened a handful of times over the last year or so that someone in the store and online buys the same last copy of a title.

Exactly why we'll never use a drop-shipper, at least not until distributors have real-time inventory.

Besides, there's nothing cooler than a warehouse full of 10,000+ games!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Besides, there's nothing cooler than a warehouse full of 10,000+ games!

Tom

indeed. Well, 1500+ games for us little guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonn Bristol
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
UndeadViking and others,

I certainly do apologize for you not receiving the items that you ordered, but I also feel that it is importnat to give a more detailed explanation of how are system works so people understand why this issue occurred.

First, for those unfamiliar with MyAtomic, we are a large company that deals in a great many items. We actually sell more than 90,000 items, with only around 1000-1500 of them being board/card games. The lion's share of our inventory is RC cars, boats, planes, trains and the associated replacement parts. We also carry a large line of toys and other hobby related items (like stuff for stamp and coin collectors). Our inventory is spread out through three different regional warehouses and is processed through our Fort Wayne, Indiana main processing center. That said, our inventory is maintained via computers.

Because we are so large, we try to remain lean on inventory. Meaning we aren't going to buy 25 copies of a particular item, otherwise we would need more warehouses just to stock all of our items. We order based on a standardized formula.

We sell through our own website as well as various other third party websites. Occasionally we get inundated with orders for various items and in order to fill the order must ask for additional items from our distributor. Our retail store has also run into this. Years ago we ordered four copies of Agricola when it was first released and sold them all the first day. Others wanted copies and we told the customers that we could get them as our distributor showed them as being in stock. It turns out the distributor numbers were not correct and that even the manufacturer was sold out. Unfortunately we had to tell the customer that the item was on back order indefinitely.

The same thing just recently happened. We had multiple copies of Macao and Homesteaders in stock and received over a short period of time (a weekend in fact) a significant number of orders. Our distributor showed that they had multiple copies available and we placed an order to them only to find out that their system was all screwed up and they weren't listing proper stock amounts. Therefore we had to return to our customers and explain that we couldn't fill their order.

These stock outs are very frustrating to us as often times we have no idea they are occurring. We are constantly moving items out of our warehouses to our central processing facility and out to customers, all the while importing in new orders 24 hours a day. This can be a very daunting task, particularly when the flow of product into our warehouses is halted by a stock out at our distributor.

MyAtomic has a lot to offer and even in the face of issues such as these are committed to working with the customer. Our free shipping on domestic orders over $25.00 is nearly unmatched on the web. Our prices themselves are competitive and we make ourselves available when problems do arise. Yes, we do have errors, and for those we are truly sorry. Since this issue we have put new fixes in place to reduce these occurrences; hopefully this will result in a better experience for our customers.

Our website is fairly new and continues to be refined. Our new marketing director is working with our IT department and graphic design people to revamp the search and layout of the site to make browsing easier and more enjoyable. We know we have shortcomings, and posts like this, while damaging to our reputation in the short term, give us opportunities to improve our company and build upon what we already have for the long term.

For those who haven't been to MyAtomic, we encourage you to check us out. For those who have made a purchase through us and found satisfaction, thank you, we certainly appreciate your business. To those who have made or attempted to make a purchase through us but faced difficulties and voiced your displeasure, we want to thank you most of all. We are not a complacent company and appreciate those who provide feedback we can use to help make the experience for everyone all that much better.

I hope this provides a snapshot for each of you into the day to day operations of our company. As a fellow board gamer I can appreciate each and everyone of you, as I believe we have a very special hobby. I welcome any responses and would love to speak to any of you in the future if you have any concerns that need addressed. My email at work is Lonnie@myatomic.com. My phone number is 260-484-7300, extension 116. Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you.

Respectfully,

Lonnie J. Bristol
Operations Manager
Atomic Enterprises, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonn Bristol
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
MyAtomic realizes that we are far from perfect and are making every attempt to improve. I think that if you looked at us today, compared to a year ago you would see a lot of improvement. Unfortunately all change takes time. One thing I can assure you, MyAtomic appreciates all their customers and take all feedback seriously. I read every piece of feedback we get from our third party internet sources and make my name and phone number available to all our customers. If anyone ever has any questions, they can feel free to contact me directly and I will make every attempt to answer them. If I can't find the answer, then I will find someone who will.

Thanks again to all who have visited the MyAtomic.com website, made a purchase from MyAtomic or has provided me feedback. It truly is appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lonnie J. Bristol
Operations Manager
Atomic Enterprises, Inc.
260-484-7300 ext. 116
www.MyAtomic.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gentis
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HERE HERE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.