GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Accumulating and Spending Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Can't we settle this over a pint?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on Solitaire rules for Runewars and would like to gather some information about Influence and bidding.

Poll
On average, how many Influence Bids do you have per year?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
More than 3
7.4% 2
11.1% 3
51.9% 14
Less than 2
29.6% 8
Voters 27
How much Influence do you try to keep on hand?
More than 7
3.7% 1
6 or 7
0.0% 0
4 or 5
63.0% 17
1 to 3
33.3% 9
Doesn't matter, I spend influence as soon as possible.
0.0% 0
Voters 27
How often will you spend ALL of your influence on a bid you want to win?
Always
7.4% 2
Usually
29.6% 8
Rarely
63.0% 17
Never
0.0% 0
Voters 27
Will you ever spend all of your influence on a bid you probably won't win, just to force the winner to pay as much as possible?
Yes
40.0% 10
No
60.0% 15
Voters 25
How often do you bid 1 influence on a bid you probably won't win?
Always
0.0% 0
Sometimes
59.3% 16
Never
40.7% 11
Voters 27
Does the race you are playing dictate your Influence strategy?
Yes
84.6% 22
No
15.4% 4
Voters 26
This poll is now closed.   27 answers
Poll created by robertg611
Closes: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks!

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As elves and humans I will bid "1" a lot just to keep people honest. If I'm short maybe I'll pass, but it really never hurts too badly. 4-5 is a good number because 4 is enough for coercion and if you're very close to winning the game (like 1 away) it is usually easier to hold your ground and hope a bid will come up that you can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the info so far!

Any additional information that you want to provide will also be greatly appreciated, like Dan's strategy concerning the Coercion card and race specific tendencies.

Just remember, your opponents may be watching! Feel free to geekmail me any pertinent info you don't feel comfortable sharing with your friends opponents.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
With Elves, influence becomes a gigantic part of my strategy. They are natural manipulators of the Wizard's council and are able win many ties without the title (because of their high starting influence.) With Elves, I try to keep right about even with whoever has the highest influence because of the tie winning factor.

Much less so with other races, such as the Uthuk Y'llan. I keep almost zero influence (just enough to keep me from being the lowest bidder) because I know that it's mostly a losing battle. Some races just aren't built for certain things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Elves are in play, though, I will try and grab the Primarch title to keep the Elves influence tiebreaker from giving them the advantage; if they want it back, they need to then take it from me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Besides starting influence there's typically no difference between how much influence the Uthuk can receive and how much the Elves can receive. The only difference is if the Elves have 8 wood, they would receive 1 more influence with Acquire Power than an Uthuk player with similar resources.

I don't think it's accurate to say that any race is particularly disadvantaged when it comes to influence, especially if you are able to start near some good cities (I think that affects it more than anything else). I think that's why I feel the evil races are stronger than the good races. Starting with extra tactics cards is huge, but starting with extra influence (which I usually see wasted on diplomacy in the first year) isn't quite as much of a big deal, and that's the primary difference. Obviously the good races will win ties other than in influence bids (where the Primarch of the Wizards' Council decides them for most of the game), but it's not even always advantageous to go first (though it often is), so the value of that ability is debatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting results so far. Thanks!

I was reading through the season cards today and there don't seem to be as many influence bids as I first thought. 3 Spring, 5 Summer, 0 Fall, and 6 Winter. I guess the first question has an answer that isn't valid (more than 3 per year), although two people have selected it already. Are there other Influence bids that I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No new answers today? Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The usage of influence is also greatly influenced (no pun intended) by how close you are to the winter season. The winter season has several "influence bid for dragon runes" primary actions which are, of course, extremely valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The usage of influence is also greatly influenced (no pun intended) by how close you are to the winter season. The winter season has several "influence bid for dragon runes" primary actions which are, of course, extremely valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My original thinking was that completely random bidding wouldn't make much sense and would waste way too much influence. With these answers you've provided, I'm leaning towards this system, where Player W is the winner of the bid and Player X determines how much Player W spends:

A. Player W has the most influence and will win the bid
B. Player W spends as much influence as needed to beat Player X who has the next highest influence (taking into account tie-breakers).
C. No one else spends any influence, including player X.

For example:
Elves have 6 influence
Waiqar have 4 influence
Uthuk have 3 influence
Daqan have 2 influence and the Primarch title

In this instance, the elves will spend 5 influence and win the bid, no one else will spend any influence. It's that simple and hopefully most of the bids will fall under these circumstances.

Following explains the tie-breaking scenarios and is too wordy. Basically, races of the same alignment will support each other.

Sometimes (probably too frequently), there will be a tie that will need to be decided by a player not involved in the tie. I'll decide these by alignment and race starting influence: Good will support good, evil will support evil, Waiqar beats Uthuk, Elves beat Daqan.

example 2.
same as above, but elves only have 4 influence. Since Daqan (good) holds the Primarch title, they would select elves (good) to win in a tie. Therefore, Elves spend 4 influence while no one else spends anything.

example 3.
same as 2,but no one has the primarch title. Here's where things can get tricky. If Elves and Waiqar both spend 4 influence, the tie-breaker would fall to the (evil) Uthuk (with the highest remaining influence of 3.) (evil) Waiqar wins the bid by spending 4 influence, no one else (including the elves) spends anything.

example 4. Elves and Daqan have the same amount of influence, Uthuk holds the Primarch title. Elves will win the bid, Daqan spends nothing.

------------------------------------------------------

Before I started this thread, I was leaning towards Player X actually spending all of their influence while the other two players spend 1 influence. That now seems very wasteful. With this new system, no influence is wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.