Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and have recently rediscovered Carcassonne: The Castle. Although we are quite enjoying it again, I am noticing that the wall tiles seem to create a real imbalance. If one player can stay even a few points ahead of the other player they can, with carefull tile placements, gather most of the wall tiles and thereby create a real runaway leader problem in the end game scoring.

Has anyone else felt this, or are we over-reaching here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ERPriest wrote:
My wife and have recently rediscovered Carcassonne: The Castle. Although we are quite enjoying it again, I am noticing that the wall tiles seem to create a real imbalance. If one player can stay even a few points ahead of the other player they can, with carefull tile placements, gather most of the wall tiles and thereby create a real runaway leader problem in the end game scoring.

Has anyone else felt this, or are we over-reaching here?

My wife and I have only played a few games of this, but haven't gotten that impression. I think it's a bit easier for the leader to snag the bonus tiles, but you'd have to have a pretty big lead to be able to consistently posture and get all the tiles. Besides, none of the tiles seem overly game-breaking.

Again, we've only played 3 or 4 games so I could be way off here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point;
This why in over 100 games we
house rule it that you only score
the TOTAL at the END of your turn
AND only then get the wall tile of
the LAST space.
MUCH CLOSER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarne Aagaard
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it feels that way, but only yesterday I was way ahead in a game against my wife, and I got must of the wall tiles, constantly scoring small amount of points. But in the end my wife scored heavely because of market-scoring (with the wall tile giving 4 for each points in a court). She beat my by 3 points!

It's true, that the player in front will often collect most of the wall tiles, by quickly completing small castles etc. and scoring maybe 4 points. The other player will counter by building big instead.

For us, that is exactly why we think this game is fantastic - the choices you have to make with every tile: score a little and collect wall tiles, or building big and score big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
Good point;
the LAST space.
MUCH CLOSER!

I love this idea, we'll try it with our next game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ERPriest wrote:
capt yid wrote:
Good point;
the LAST space.
MUCH CLOSER!

I love this idea, we'll try it with our next game. Thanks!

I'm going to try this as well. I've had more run-away games than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.