2 Posts

PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943» Forums » Rules

Subject: surface combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Schutgens
Japan
flag msg tools
Maybe some-one can help me out with some questions regarding surface combat. I have not been able to find definitive answers in the rule book (not necessarily the rule book's fault)

1) The battle display is asymmetrical: one player has wider boxes on the sides than his opponent. This side is for the allied player or defending player?

2) Screening can be done by units in either the screening or torpedo attach areas (see round 2 in the example on p 18)?

3) 7.4.5 says (more or less): place screening units adjacent to screened units and (1) opposite blocked units. So, again in the example on p 18, the Hipper can attack the merchants, since no screen is both adjacent to them and opposite the attacker? Well, clearly the Hipper is not allowed to do this so maybe (1) should be 'or'?

Sofar, I have played this game only solo. I'm looking forward to playing it with a friend tomorrow

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
The battle display is asymmetrical: one player has wider boxes on the sides than his opponent. This side is for the allied player or defending player?

The vertical lines on the Battle Display (the lines perpendicular to those dividing the areas) are in no way definitive -- you can place units anywhere you like within an area. The dotted lines are there merely to help players "line up" their units to show which units are blocking which opposing units. Because one unit is often screening two opposing units, the lines on the two sides are offset, giving the illusion of wider boxes along the edges of one side. And the solid lines on the sides don't really mean anything -- it is quite possible (and allowed) for very large forces to have stacks running "off the side(s)" of the Display. In fact, you needn't use the Display at all if you feel comfortable resolving a large surface battle without it.

In hindsight, I suppose we should have omitted those solid lines along the side. blush

Quote:
Screening can be done by units in either the screening or torpedo attach areas (see round 2 in the example on p 18)?

Yes, per the first sentence of 7.5.4.

Quote:
7.4.5 says (more or less): place screening units adjacent to screened units and (1) opposite blocked units. So, again in the example on p 18, the Hipper can attack the merchants, since no screen is both adjacent to them and opposite the attacker? Well, clearly the Hipper is not allowed to do this so maybe (1) should be 'or'?

7.4.5 says a Screening unit "can block two enemy units from attacking any friendly units in the Withdrawal area, or one enemy unit from attacking one friendly unit in the Deployment area. Place Screening units adjacent to any friendly unit it is protecting in the Deployment area and opposite the blocked unit(s)." {emphasis added} So presuming you mean the Round 2 example, the old DD can block Hipper from attacking the merchants because they are in the Withdrawal area, not the Deployment area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.