Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,
The number of fans of the Canadian band Nickelback was overtaken today by the number of fans of a pickle, as shown on Facebook.

The group, "Can this pickle get more fans than Nickelback" proved that YES, it can. The current count on group members is 1,429,216, compared to Nickelback's 1,414,748.

Pickle's Fanpage: Pickle on Facebook

Nickelback's Fanpage: Nickelback on Facebook

Article from Feb. 12, showing when the movement for the pickle was beginning to gain momentum: Pickle vs. Nickelback

Personally, I was rooting for the pickle. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two thoughts.

1) Good.

2) Over a million people are fans of Nickleback? The world is truly going down the tubes...

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have seen more "Can this [stupid noun] get more fans than [this stupid person/band]" groups lately. I declare the joke officially Tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet we can find 1,000,000 people that don't care about these stupid things and wish there was a way to block them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I bet we can find 1,000,000 people that don't care about these stupid things and wish there was a way to block them.

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me they didn't care about something I said/posted/ etc., then I'd have... Well, a nickel. Generally speaking, when people don't care about something they tend to not post their opinion on it. Oh well.

Are things like this really all that common? I gave the forum a good search to make sure that there weren't many of these types of things, so I don't understand why people are so bitter about it.

Yes, the joke is tired. No, I don't think anything about it is profound or original. This isn't like spam mail filling your mailbox. It's a forum thread, in a 'random stuff' forum. I would understand if you were somehow forced to read it and comment on it, but you're not. So what's the big deal? I just thought that maybe there was one person out there who might see this and get a chuckle out of it. Perhaps it would instill some hope in them about the human race. And I succeeded! Besides, have you ever heard Nickelback? They're pretty terrible.

Cheers,
DM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:

Oooh. You just gave me an idea for a FB status!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
indoze wrote:
Octavian wrote:

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me they didn't care about something I said/posted/ etc., then I'd have... Well, a nickel. Generally speaking, when people don't care about something they tend to not post their opinion on it. Oh well.

Are things like this really all that common? I gave the forum a good search to make sure that there weren't many of these types of things, so I don't understand why people are so bitter about it.

Yes, the joke is tired. No, I don't think anything about it is profound or original. This isn't like spam mail filling your mailbox. It's a forum thread, in a 'random stuff' forum. I would understand if you were somehow forced to read it and comment on it, but you're not. So what's the big deal? I just thought that maybe there was one person out there who might see this and get a chuckle out of it. Perhaps it would instill some hope in them about the human race. And I succeeded! Besides, have you ever heard Nickelback? They're pretty terrible.

Cheers,
DM

Word. I ain't bitter though. I just think it's Tired. With a capital "T."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
zorazen wrote:

Word. I ain't bitter though. I just think it's Tired. With a capital "T."

I'll grant that all the copycats are pretty lame, but you can't blame the original for that. It started out as a humorous way to poke fun at the fact that Nickleback is mind-bogglingly lame yet still surprisingly popular, which is a noble endeavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, indoze - no personal offense was intended and I hope it wasn't taken as such. I wasn't remarking about this thread at all - it's these things taking over my facebook notifications that I'm railing against.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
If you are using Firefox, install the Greasemonkey extension and then the Facebook Purity script.

Autoblocks all notifications from applications, who became friends with whom, who became a fan of what, etc.

It made FB usable for me again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
I have seen more "Can this [stupid noun] get more fans than [this stupid person/band]" groups lately. I declare the joke officially Tired.

You win a nickel, back.

I do not enjoy the music of the rock and roll band known as Nickelback. I find it tedious and trite. However, I can't fault the people who do (see: Top 5 Songs You'd Be Embarrassed Admitting To Actually Liking)

There's no accounting for taste. Yours, and certainly not mine. Those who try to convince you otherwise are simply trying to control you.

Let your freak flag fly people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
... it's these things taking over my facebook notifications that I'm railing against.

Now that's something I think we all can agree on.

My misunderstanding, totally. I thought you were attacking me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
- it's these things taking over my facebook notifications that I'm railing against.

-MMM

Man, Octavian, are you EVER gonna join my Mafia crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Octavian wrote:
- it's these things taking over my facebook notifications that I'm railing against.

-MMM

Is it more popular than Nickelback?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Del_Esau wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Is it more popular than Nickelback?

Not as popular as my farm and my cafe, but getting there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if being annoyed at the popularity of things you don't like is a modern phenomenon. Not that I'm immune, I think the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, the original Star Wars movies, and Captain James T. Kirk are all highly overrated. I just wonder if there was a crowd in the 16th century saying "Michelangelo is so overrated. He's just Not. That. Great."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.