Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Firing Sequence, Step 4: Add Attacker's Support Fire, must all eligible units lend their support? Or can you choose to have certain units hold their fire? I can't find any reference to this being optional.

Why, you may ask, would you ever want to not have maximum support? The answer is a basic function of warfare: scouting the enemy position. Say, for example, your opponent attacks one of your frontline units with some expendable cannon fodder, planning on determining if any artillery is in the vicinity. If this artillery is revealed during this minor skirmish, the opponent would likely be discouraged from committing his more valuable units, fearing the heavy support fire. If, however, the artillery were able to remain face-down for this combat, your opponent may be lured into a trap.

Also, I believe the name of the step should be changed from Add Attacker's Support Fire to Add Firer's Support Fire (as awkward sounding as that is), since the current title throws some confusion into things. Earlier in the combat section of the rules, the following definitions appear:

Quote:
Attacker: The unit card that has initiated the combat.
Defender: The unit card receiving the attack, subject to possible retreat.
Firing Unit: The unit card using its combat and support values to inflict damage.
Target Unit: The unit card using defense value and target terrain bonus to avoid damage.

Strictly going by this, a defending unit can never get any support. The intent (I assume) is to have the "firing" unit, attacker or defender, get support. (This is the way I've played, and this is the way I believe is implied in other areas of the rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree, i had confusion about firer and attacker as well. If the enemy is dug in for example and you attack them, I assume the firer would draw the action card first, but I think the rules use attacker though i am not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would agree that a firing unit may hold back support fire. Support fire is not mandatory.

I would agree that to remain consistent that, Firing Sequence, Step 4: Add Attacker's Support Fire should be changed to Add Firing Unit's Support Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.