Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just completed my second and third plays of FoF and am thoroughly enthused with the game. However, I've read the rules several times now, with the errata/clarifications, and still have a lot of questions I can't find answers to (I've done some searching on the forums, but without much success). Some of these are pretty big, so I know I must be missing something...

1. Generic German Fire Teams *not* on a US-occupied card do what during the Enemy Activity Check? I can't see an entry for units in this state on the LAT and Pinned Activity Check Hierarchy. Do they do nothing (per errata for 9.4)?

2. I am really confused about how many commands need to be expended when moving between cover and cards. Two examples:

a) 1st Sgt in jeep wants to move to adjacent card and pick up a casualty under cover. Does this take 6 commands: activate vehicle to move [disembark for free after moving to the adjacent card] -> move into cover -> transport [pick up casualty] -> move out of cover -> transport [embark back into jeep] -> activate vehicle to move? Is this correct?

b) A unit under cover will take 2 commands and 2 turns to move to an adjacent card? 1st command/turn to move from cover, can't move to adjacent card that turn because Exposed, so moves to adjacent card on next turn. Is that correct?

Basically, being in cover really slows things down?

3. What is the Activity Level if only unoccupied cards contain VOF?

4. What happens to laid phone lines between reattempting missions?

5. Before reattempting a mission can I lay phone lines so that HQs deployed towards the top of the map are in communication with the CO HQ further back?

6. What does it mean to assign experience before reattempting a mission if units can only be promoted between missions (per 10.3)?

7. How does an enemy Fire Team that is out of ammo behave? 6.2 specifies a unit with an out of ammo marker stays to fight and 9.9 that a Good Order unit falls back, but since an out of ammo Fire Team has neither an out of ammo marker nor is in Good Order, what does it do?

8. Does coloured smoke block LOS?

9. Before a mission, when selecting whether to use radios or phones, do *all* nets have to be the same? Can I choose radio for the BN Net and phones for CO Net?

10. I also have the same question as Kurt asked above (post 3848) when an enemy unit falls back from a US-occupied card. Errata for 6.4 says fire follows the PDF, but since no PDF has been established when both sides are on the same card, the clarification does not strictly apply in answering Kurt's question.

11. For a card occupied by both sides, which VOF applies to which units? I think I know the answer to this, but as far as I can tell, it's not actually in the rules. Does the 'best' US VOF apply against the enemy unit, and vice versa? Or does the 'best' VOF apply to both sides?

12. How exactly are enemy Casualties captured? Do they simply have to be alone on a US occupied card, or do they need to be picked up (transported) to count as experience gained? Do they need to be evacuated to count?

13. When a lone enemy unit falls back off map from a US-occupied card, and thus is removed from play, what happens to the US VOF? Do they continue firing at their own card? If so, I presume they are not shooting at themselves. If they move to an adjacent card, where do they fire (automatically switch to a real target?)

14. When a German Litter Team rallies to a Fire Team, do I need to keep track of what happened to the machine guns to know whether the FT is A or S rated (i.e. more book-keeping)?

15. For Terrain cards with 2 cover values, which one is used when a unit is targeted by another unit on the same card (this *must* be in the rules, but I can't find it )?

16. 1 step mortar teams place a G! VOF. So the target gets the lower cover figure (per 5.2). 3 step squads place H VOF, which means the target gets the higher cover figure, assuming the PDF crosses a dark LOS border. Is this correct? A unit is better off, cover wise, being hit by a mortar squad rather than a mortar team?

Many thanks for any answers to the above. I've posted them as well on CSW to cast my net wider. For better or worse, I am a bit of a rules lawyer, and even for a solitaire game, making it up as I go along is not fun. As the rules get tightened up, I think I will enjoy this game more and more; future expansions will be a must-buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A ton of questions...
Jon,

I'll be interested in the answers that the "resident experts" here on BGG come up with. Their support is excellent and many of your questions are lurking at the back of my mind as well.

Could I suggest that you edit the subject of this thread to include key words relating to your questions. It makes it much easier for others who are looking for answers later.

For example:-

"A ton of questions...Enemy Activity Check, Cover Movement, Activity Level," etc etc... you add the rest

I just find it much easier to scan through the Rules questions when folks have at least given a clue to what they're are asking.

It also might be better to split your post into two or three threads. Just a thought

Good questions though - thanks.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Generic German Fire Teams *not* on a US-occupied card do what during the Enemy Activity Check? I can't see an entry for units in this state on the LAT and Pinned Activity Check Hierarchy. Do they do nothing (per errata for 9.4)?

Yes, they do nothing, but shoot

Quote:
2. I am really confused about how many commands need to be expended when moving between cover and cards. Two examples:

Quote:
a) 1st Sgt in jeep wants to move to adjacent card and pick up a casualty under cover. Does this take 6 commands: activate vehicle to move [disembark for free after moving to the adjacent card] -> move into cover -> transport [pick up casualty] -> move out of cover -> transport [embark back into jeep] -> activate vehicle to move? Is this correct?

No, if there is cover already in play you may move directly under in when moving to another card.

Quote:
b) A unit under cover will take 2 commands and 2 turns to move to an adjacent card? 1st command/turn to move from cover, can't move to adjacent card that turn because Exposed, so moves to adjacent card on next turn. Is that correct?

No, you can move from cover to another card in 1 command. You only need to pay to move around within a card if want to change what cover you are under if multiple cover markers are in play.

Example unit 1 under cover on card A, 1 command to move to card B and is marked exposed. Unit 2 on card B finds cover. Next turn unit 1 may move under that cover marker or stay put. If the cover was discovered before unit 1 moved, then he could have moved from cover on card A to cover on card B with 1 command.

Quote:
Basically, being in cover really slows things down?

No, it can mitigate the exposure

Quote:
3. What is the Activity Level if only unoccupied cards contain VOF?

No contact

Quote:
4. What happens to laid phone lines between reattempting missions?

Assuming they are between cards that are still US occupied they stay in place

Quote:
5. Before reattempting a mission can I lay phone lines so that HQs deployed towards the top of the map are in communication with the CO HQ further back?

Sure

Quote:
6. What does it mean to assign experience before reattempting a mission if units can only be promoted between missions (per 10.3)?

It means collect experience points for stuff you did in thefailed mission - assign them to your pool of XP

Quote:
7. How does an enemy Fire Team that is out of ammo behave? 6.2 specifies a unit with an out of ammo marker stays to fight and 9.9 that a Good Order unit falls back, but since an out of ammo Fire Team has neither an out of ammo marker nor is in Good Order, what does it do?

An enemy Fire Team with an A VOF hat runs out of ammo gets an Out of Ammo marker, so he stays in the fight with a S VOF

Quote:
8. Does coloured smoke block LOS?

No

Quote:
9. Before a mission, when selecting whether to use radios or phones, do *all* nets have to be the same? Can I choose radio for the BN Net and phones for CO Net?

Sure

Quote:
10. I also have the same question as Kurt asked above (post 3848) when an enemy unit falls back from a US-occupied card. Errata for 6.4 says fire follows the PDF, but since no PDF has been established when both sides are on the same card, the clarification does not strictly apply in answering Kurt's question.

See 13.

Quote:
11. For a card occupied by both sides, which VOF applies to which units? I think I know the answer to this, but as far as I can tell, it's not actually in the rules. Does the 'best' US VOF apply against the enemy unit, and vice versa? Or does the 'best' VOF apply to both sides?

When a card is occupied by both sides 2 VOF are used, one for each side. The best of each side applies. So if the best US VOF is an S, the enemy is attacked by the S, if the best enemey is a A then the US units are attacked by an A. If the best of both sides is the same it is not necessary to use two VOF markers.

Quote:
12. How exactly are enemy Casualties captured? Do they simply have to be alone on a US occupied card, or do they need to be picked up (transported) to count as experience gained? Do they need to be evacuated to count?

Alone in a US occupied card is sufficient

Quote:
13. When a lone enemy unit falls back off map from a US-occupied card, and thus is removed from play, what happens to the US VOF? Do they continue firing at their own card? If so, I presume they are not shooting at themselves. If they move to an adjacent card, where do they fire (automatically switch to a real target?)

Unit keep firing until they receive a cease fire or move. After that if there is a valid target they open fire.

Quote:
14. When a German Litter Team rallies to a Fire Team, do I need to keep track of what happened to the machine guns to know whether the FT is A or S rated (i.e. more book-keeping)?

Yes, or else they end up with too many machineguns, the backside of the log is for tracking the enemy

Quote:
15. For Terrain cards with 2 cover values, which one is used when a unit is targeted by another unit on the same card (this *must* be in the rules, but I can't find it )?

The lower value

Quote:
16. 1 step mortar teams place a G! VOF. So the target gets the lower cover figure (per 5.2). 3 step squads place H VOF, which means the target gets the higher cover figure, assuming the PDF crosses a dark LOS border. Is this correct? A unit is better off, cover wise, being hit by a mortar squad rather than a mortar team?

Yes, a mortar squad is an area weapon, whereas the mortar team is engaing a particular target.

Thanks
Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dorrell wrote:

Could I suggest that you edit the subject of this thread to include key words relating to your questions. It makes it much easier for others who are looking for answers later.

For example:-

"A ton of questions...Enemy Activity Check, Cover Movement, Activity Level," etc etc... you add the rest

I just find it much easier to scan through the Rules questions when folks have at least given a clue to what they're are asking.

It also might be better to split your post into two or three threads. Just a thought

Thanks Chris - I should have done what you suggest and will do next time!

If I can figure out how to edit the subject line, I will...

Cheers

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
Thanks Chris - I should have done what you suggest and will do next time!

If I can figure out how to edit the subject line, I will...

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

If you "edit" your original post, the edit page allows you to change the Subject line as well as the body of the text (I think?)

Cheers
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dorrell wrote:

Jon,

If you "edit" your original post, the edit page allows you to change the Subject line as well as the body of the text (I think?)

Cheers
Chris

Ah ha! Thanks. Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
Chris Dorrell wrote:

Jon,

Cheers
Chris

Ah ha! Thanks. Done.

I like it!

Now we know what the thread's about - much better. If only everyone did the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.