Subject: Pub & Host Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi,

I was wondering how much money a player should get
if they had both the "Pub" & the "Host" cards activated.

Each card states:

"You receive 1 gold coin. Or 3 gold coins, if you
also have activated the host/pub."

A fellow player thought one could argue that one should get 6 gold coins total, every turn. However, I think this breaks the game if the combo comes out & is activated early enough. It seems like the intent is 3 gold coins total, since no other card combination gives anywhere near that bonus. So I am wondering if there may be a translation ambiguity or something similar that has gone wrong, or if this card combo is just that powerful.

Does somebody have the German cards & could they post the text to help clarify this (Ich kann auch Deutsch)? Or does somebody know Stefan Feld's intent?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Wystan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I managed to answer my own question thanks to the files posted by

Louise Moore
United Kingdom
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
flag msg tools

The text reads:

WIRT Du erhältst 1 GM. Oder zusammen 3 GM, wenn du auch das Wirtshaus aktiviert hast.

WIRTSHAUS
Du erhältst 1 GM. Oder zusammen 3 GM, wenn du auch der Wirt aktiviert hast.

The key word is "zusammen" which means together & so the total payment should be 3 coins (each round) if both cards are activated.

I'll leave this posted for anyone else who encounters this. I failed to argue that the combo cannot be that strong & admittedly the Rio Grande translation is probably ambiguous.

Cheers,
Wystan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is easy to answer: Both German cards says "1 GM. Oder zusammen 3 GM, wenn..."
which means "1 Gold coin or 3 Gold coins in total if...

Edit: Beaten by the OP - oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Mik for your response...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This info changes things a lot. We played a game at the weekend where one player took the Pub as his pre-game selection, then the Host in Turn 1. Not knowing any better, we were letting him take 6GC when he used both cards together. Needless to say, he wiped the floor with us, being able to pay the tribute cost every turn. Afterwards, we decided that, given the strength of these two cards in combination, the only sensible option would be for another player to fall on their sword and take one of them to break up the combo. I'm glad to see the original German versions are more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, we totally screwed that up today.

Who the hell translated these cards? Did they just phone it in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my biggest complaint with Macao, is the extremely poor rules & card translation. Not up to the caliber of the other Alea Big Box games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
Yea, we totally screwed that up today.

Who the hell translated these cards? Did they just phone it in?

d'oh! How much do you think we should adjust Andrew's score?

24 extra gold over the course of the game can't be that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I've seen this combo come out and activated by the same player (myself). the most experienced player told me I should be taking 6 after I only took 3 which did make more sense.

It did help with buying tribute, but it was already around round 10 that I got the 2nd card activated that I already had enough GC's anyway (I also had free coin from another card, and office cards to convert AC to GC). I also didn't win even being so flush with cash... now if I had the card that let's one pay tribute twice per turn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never have arrived at the correct rule on my own, as the cards are unambiguous.

I just figured the relative rarity of both occurring early enough to matter, and being in a position where someone can't stop you from getting the second, were what prevented this combo from being overpowered.

I've had little trouble with the other cards in the game, other than having to stop to puzzle some through. In fact, I don't recall a single one where my initial reading of "when" or "each" and so forth didn't match up with Mik's official interpretation, but I didn't bother checking all of them. I wonder how many others I'm wrong about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.