4 Posts

War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Rohad Scenario: Edoras, oh Edoras rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron Phillips
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played the Rohirrim (FP), and Justin played Saruman (SP). Just a good old Scenario match.

Early on Justin looked to close in slowly. He stuck Saruman on the 1 position for command for the first two turns. Treebeard didn't make it out during this time, and Justin placed and flipped tokens, then annihilated my lonely footman on the west side of the Isen River. I flipped my recruitment tokens in the meantime, not wanting him to play anything that might discard them.

He began placing Saruman on the 2 position for a couple/three turns. In this time he proceeded to destroy the army at Deeping Coomb, while my rolls did not cooperate in doing anything in return. I had one cavalry on Thrihyrne and he now looked to mobilize with three armies straight into the valley of Helm Hammerhand: One sat at the Dike, waiting for the other two. One had yet to be assembled, but came together quickly trying to cross the ford, the last was five half-orcs coming out of East Nan Curunir. Fortunately I had a card that allowed me to activate the ents. They were maxed out with all eight, and the army at Deeping Coomb vanished suddenly under the boughs of a newly formed Entwood there, forcing Justin to take the long way around in order to breach the valley, or else risk the wrath of the trees and their treeherders. Simultaneously he pressured easter Rohan by bringing in some Mordor orcs with his eyes, then supplementing them with some Uruks using a card. With this army he pushed back my holding force at the west ford.

At this point Eomer still hadn't come in. By the time Eomer made it in, Justin had three armies all working their way around the Entwood. Once Eomer came in and brought the reinforcement tokens with him, Justin looked east and ceased caring for Helm's Deep. He attacked both settlement in Rohan Plains quickly in order to take down those armies before they joined others. He had the settlement adjacent to Edoras as well, and looked to pressure Edoras with 2 armies of 4 & 5 units each. I chose to attack one across a stream. My rolls bore out no casualties, while he took down my army handily. The end result was that Eomer died, though Edoras still had a small army. By this point fate had reached 8 or 9- I brought in Gandalf and Aragorn to end the turn, hoping for the Ents to be mobilized once more (they were at 8 once again).

The following turn brought no will of the wests so I set out to make Theoden come to his senses before Edoras was overrun. The army at Edoras held off a combined attack from Lower Snowbourne and Harrowdale in order to hang on until Gandalf arrived. Theoden was summoned to war, but now three armies were about to encircle the king. He charged north, using the plains to the advantage of his army and eviscerating those troops in Irensaga. Afterward he was attack from the rear by an army from across the Snowbourne stream and he retreated to the Folde. At this point Justin had 9 victory points out of 10 needed. Folde would give him that. The fate tile was moving, but seemed to do so too slowly to help, being at 10 or 11 at this point.

The winds of fate shifted the next turn, with a will of the west popping up. The ents destroyed the army that was about to descend on the Folde, then they attacked a mixed army in Lower Snowbourne. Afterward the entwood shifted to Deeping Stream. Justin used this moment to recapture Deeping Coomb and set an army of five in the West Dike just to make sure my army in Helm's Deep didn't think about going anywhere. They were safe against one army, the wall having sustained only 2 damage up to that point, but coming out on the offensive was too risky, and Justin was counting on that. Fortunately I was able to Gather and Muster a unit in the Folde and then attack the army that was about to try to take me out. Justin's rolls now failed him at this crucial juncture, and I took out a whole army with my four units (two cavalry, two footmen) while sustaining 3 damage. Justin neglected to garrison Edoras and left his army in Lower Snowbourne, choosing instead to recruit Dunlendings in South Westemnet and Harrowdale. I retook Edoras immediately, Suddenly things were looking up, yet his ability to recruit on the go with the Dunlendings seemed too much, as units continued to churn out between that ability and his placing Saruman on the 3 position now in order to reinforce his troops with actual fighting unit (as well as gaining a die due to a card he played on the table). Also, he played a card on the table that reduced leadership modifier of all leaders and characters to 0. Though leadership command was still intact.

As the end game approached I drew the second 0 tile on the 14 spot on the Fate Track, a bad blow at that point. Only three tiles remained now (he had discarded two earlier with a card, a 2 with Fate, and a plain 3). I fought off the two-way combined assault on Edoras once more, slaughtering the Dunlendings in Harrowdale before wreaking havoc on his mixed army in Lower Snowbourne. Now I saw an opening. I sent Gandalf with one cavalry (and 1 damage) to Harrowdale, then rallied both armies (Theoden had 1 cavalry, 1 footman, and 2 damage, 1 of which went away), resulting in only 1 damage coming off of the two armies. I then sent his army at two Dunlendings in Westfold, hoping to hold it and get a win, though I realize now that I hadn't freed the West Marches yet so it would've been in vain either way. However, I had a card which let me place recruitment tokens in all free settlements if Theoden was on the board, so I wanted to maximize that as well. While I capture Westfold, four dunlendings then hit Theoden and finished him off. Now my only hope was to hold out until the Ents descended upon Saruman of their own accord in force (the Fate Track victory).

Gandalf went back into Edoras and held on, stopping the dunlending army only by virtue of them attacking across a stream. Then I played a card that allowed me to decimate the army in front of Helm's Deep before attacking them. After one round Justin chose to rout and had only 1 unit left. I had taken no damage. I followed up, resulting in a freed Deeping Coomb. Meanwhile I had reinforced Edoras with a Gather and Muster, getting another cavalry and rallying to round out the army. The next turn while drawing for Fate I drew the special tile that allowed me to draw again, with two tiles left to choose from I chose the left one (being a lefty) and got the 2 I needed to finish the game right then, the other was a one, though I probably would have won either way, as he would have had to rebuild several armies to take West Marches, and to mount a decent assault on Edoras or Helm's Deep.

There was a mistake that I realized only while typing this out. I forgot to remove dice for killed characters (Eomer and Theoden). While that gave only 5 more actions over the course of the game, that might have made the difference. So this game will not count against Justin or for me, though it was still a tight match and fun to play. Of course, conversely, he didn't remove dice when I freed some settlements, so it may have been about even, though I probably still got 2 or so extra actions in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up, although for some reason it was not showing as having been added on the forum summary screen, so I nearly didn't find it.

Sounds like you need a rematch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Phillips
msg tools
mbmbmb
We considered this one good enough with the rules (it was our third attempt, and the closest one; each other time we misinterpreted some key rule that botched the game in favor of one side or the other) since we only had the mental slip with the action dice.

Now we are itching to try out Gondor a couple of times, which we have yet to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you realized your mistake regarding the action dice, but I am wondering if you caught this.
" Also, he played a card on the table that reduced leadership modifier of all leaders and characters to 0. "
As far as I know, this card is a Grima card, and those are all out of play and immediately discarded when Edoras is conquered or Theoden is brought in. This could make a pretty big difference, as he definitely should not have been able to play that card.

"Suddenly things were looking up, yet his ability to recruit on the go with the Dunlendings seemed too much, as units continued to churn out between that ability and his placing Saruman on the 3 position now in order to reinforce his troops with actual fighting unit (as well as gaining a die due to a card he played on the table)"

This card is also a grima card, and should have been discarded as well.
Edit: Oops, I just realized this thread is over a year old. I'm sure you've caught this mistake by now. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.