Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Egan
United States
Waltham
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm sure many BGG users do, I find the User Suggested # of Players polls incredibly useful, and I'm glad they've been added to the game pages and placed in a prominent spot near the top of each entry. At least, I find them useful when they're populated with information. In far too many cases, there are just too few votes to provide meaningful consensus.

And no, I'm not talking about truly obscure games. The game I happened to be looking at when I decided to finally post this suggestion (been thinking about it for a while) is Salamanca (Stefan Dorra, Zoch, 2006). At present, Salamanca has 190 ratings, 82 personal comments and ... just two User Suggested # of Players votes. Of course, mileage may vary, and some games on BGG garner plenty of votes. But too often, even games that have hundreds of ratings lack a substantial number of User Suggested # of Players votes. Frankly, I'm guilty of not stopping to register my opinion in these polls, too.

I realize that this poll feature is a relatively new addition to the game pages, and over time more info will accumulate, but, really, the more opinions on something like this the better. Why not give 'Geek users a little incentive to populate these polls when they rate a game?

For what it's worth, I would suggest BGG administrators consider offering a small amount of Geek Gold (as with moderating submissions to the 'Geek) to those who take the time to vote. And while garnering more opinions on these categories isn't as important to me, some small amount of Geek Gold could be offered for User Suggested Ages and Language Dependence poll votes, as well.

I also realize there's the potential for abuse when giving incentive to do something like this ... people could simply answer polls randomly to get GG. There's probably some way to mitigate the potential of this happening, but someone more familiar with the inner workings of BGG will have to address that issue.

I'm interested in hearing if others find Suggested # of Players polls useful enough to consider offering some incentive aimed at getting people to participate on a more consistent basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terry Egan wrote:

I also realize there's the potential for abuse

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.