Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've been meaning to ask this to all of you for quite sometime, but just kept skipping my mind. What do you all think about the coat of arms and how it scored at the end of the game.

2 ways of looking at it-

- Brings in the surprise element when you turn things randomly and earn more coat of arms and score more points

- Irritating as it is completely random and I cannot plan?

What do you all feel and what are the advantages of a system like this?

Thanks,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of our games the coat of arms decided winners.

Mostly everyone can fulfill the same amount (or 1 less/more) of missions. Therefor: coat of arms decides who wins. Mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
In most of our games the coat of arms decided winners.

Mostly everyone can fulfill the same amount (or 1 less/more) of missions. Therefor: coat of arms decides who wins. Mostly.

The coat of arms and how they are scored are utterly crucial to the design; yes, you have no direct control over those last six points, but think of it instead as a lottery; the more "tickets" you have, the more likely you are to succeed.

Lets say in a game that I'm pursuing coat of arms more than I am mission cards, could be for any number of reasons; perhaps just my strategy, due to the cards I'm dealing with or my opponent is denying me lots of mission chips. Without those last "random" six points, odds are I've lost and there's nothing I can do about it. But since I've "invested" in more coat of arms, I'm more likely to get more points out of the final scoring and still be in the running for the finish.

I find it amusing that people complain the coat of arms is so "random" and ridiculous; this game is made of randomness, it's how you MANAGE all the various resources that matters (random influence cards, random intrigue cards, random mission cards, random Louis cards). The only thing static is the board, and it may or may not flip regularly.

People obviously disagree with my line of thinking, but I can't imagine playing it without this rule, and if people wanted to, I would refuse to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. The difference in coats of arms is important. Manage to complete missions and try to score as many c-o-a's as possible at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
madhujith wrote:
What do you all think about the coat of arms and how it scored at the end of the game.

One should be careful in distinguishing two aspects of the CoAs. One is that every chip brings in 1 point, irrespective of their denomination. Therefore in that aspect there can be no effect of randomness. The second aspect is what gets most people's back up: that 6 bonus chips (read: 6 bonus points) are awarded to the players having the majority in a denomination. There is no control over the denomination, just that a tendency exists to obtain more points as the number of CoA chips a player has earned throughout the game increases (as you would expect). There is a semi-official rule change too where the player with the least amount of CoAs gives one to the player with the highest amount. Whether or not you play with this rule change: if players all succumb to the Pavlovian urge to complete missions and then complain that the random CoAs screw up their games, they had it coming in my opinion. You know in advance there are 6 points to be distributed at the end of the game, so you had better make sure your strategy is sufficiently sound to withstand your opponents gaining a little. (And it is but a little unless you let someone collect a bootload of CoAs.)

In my opinion, all of the proposed 'fixes' are based on a flawed understanding of the CoAs; and the only fix that would work is one where all CoAs are completely open, without any random draw whatsoever. I like a bit of mystery in this game, and enjoy the road to the finish as much as the finish itself, so I am not at all bothered by a little point juggling at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.