Subject: Civilisation V rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So speaking personally, come autumn that's [url] http://www.civilization5.com/[/url] me not playing any boardgames till Christmas comes round again.

The Civ games in general are, in many ways, the Platonic ideal of the boardgame for me (albeit on a computer).

It was buying the original Civ boardgame, because of Civ 2, that really got me into boardgaming. I always loved boardgames, but had never been exposed to anything that wasn't a 'standard'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, not again. surprise

Goodbye evening, hello sun coming over the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
The Civ games in general are, in many ways, the Platonic ideal of the boardgame for me (albeit on a computer).

It's like a magical boardgame all-nighter with people who never need to shower...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Civ 5 is closer to Civ 3. Civ 4 was awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They finally switched to hexagons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexes!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hqbwk wrote:

i concur. the combination of complexity and automation in civ 4 meant you didn't get to grips with the detailed game mechanics. That's what made it feel much further removed from its board game roots for me, and greatly lessened the enjoyment.

hopefully civ 5 won't just add a boatload MORE complexity, and will actually streamline instead. re-introduce the micro-management, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Early screenshots:

http://www.examiner.com/x-28759-Atlanta-Video-Game-News-Exam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bit worrying that the first two improvements mentioned in that article are 'fully animated leaders' and 'realistic landscapes'! What about the actual game, huh?

Have to admit hexes sounds good tho - a real re-visit of the games fundamentals rather than just more chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hqbwk wrote:

Actually I found that people who played Civ 1 and Civ 2 do not like Civ 3 but like Civ 4. And those who played only Civ 3 do not like Civ 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
They finally switched to hexagons.

Note that Heroes of Might and Magic V switched from hexagons to squares.. Which I didn't like very much, except that it added possibility for single units to take 2x2 squares (while 2x1 before was maximum with hexagons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
hqbwk wrote:

It took me a few seconds to realize that this wasn't a joke. Last night at CABS we were discussing how we hoped that Civ did not continue its parallel with Star Trek movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The screen shots look a little too real. Hopefully the game lacks a "voodoo doll" interface that causes changes to Google Earth(TM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft II and Civ V in the same year? Hello good times, so long sleep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge
badge
My Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
re-introduce the micro-management, please!

As one that did not enjoy the micro-management, I thoroughly enjoyed Civ 4. However, I thought the micro management was there if you wanted it.

They did get rid of the need for some micro-management, like letting excess research roll over to the next tech, which I thought was a good change.

Either way, they should try to keep both camps happy. Make it there for those that want it, allow those that don't care to automate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weidox wrote:
hqbwk wrote:

Actually I found that people who played Civ 1 and Civ 2 do not like Civ 3 but like Civ 4. And those who played only Civ 3 do not like Civ 4.

Count me amongst the former. I liked Civ 1, loved Civ 2, was rather "meh" on Civ 3, and fell in love again with Civ 4. I not only don't mind the lack of micromanagement (which, by the way, is still there if you want it), but rather adore the sense of "the big picture" without the need to play for 12-16 hours straight to finish a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
bit worrying that the first two improvements mentioned in that article are 'fully animated leaders' and 'realistic landscapes'! What about the actual game, huh?

Have to admit hexes sounds good tho - a real re-visit of the games fundamentals rather than just more chrome.

Huh?

"Civilization 5 is intended to renew the "just one more turn" series with a brand new game engine that features a new combat engine that promises massive battles and improved diplomacy that requires deeper engagement with other leaders.

Perhaps the most noticeable change with Civilization V is the introduction of hexagonal tiles that will allow "for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire.""

That was right off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me amongst the Civ IV fans. I liked Civ III, but I *loved* Civ IV. In fact, I'm rather distressed to hear that Civ V is imminent, because I've played Civ IV less than half a dozen times and haven't even broached the expansions yet.

Clearly, I need to cut back on the Dominion and play me some Civ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Count me amongst the Civ IV fans. I liked Civ III, but I *loved* Civ IV. In fact, I'm rather distressed to hear that Civ V is imminent, because I've played Civ IV less than half a dozen times and haven't even broached the expansions yet.

Good God man!

Beyond the Sword is Civ IV in excelsis.

Buy it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Good God man!

Beyond the Sword is Civ IV in excelsis.

Buy it now!

Even worse -- I own that expansion, but I haven't installed it yet. I keep getting distracted by boardgames. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to know when they'll be making Alpha Centauri 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Flood
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Civ 1 and 2, but just couldn't get into 3. There was a lot imbalance I thought in 3 and often you had the computers holding hands with their "stacks of death" marching toward your cities. I did enjoy 4, but felt it too was imperfect. The diplomacy still lacked and foreign nations would often conveniently forget all you had dome for them in the past to snuff you out when you denied them once. I am looking forward quite a bit to 5, but will wait to buy until I have read some of the reviews and seen the game in action.

The thing that has me most excited is that it sounds like playing over the web will be greatly enhanced. This will be great for my friends who live all over the nation now (and Canada!) to play with each other and try to recapture our younger years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Civ III, IV, and V
Civ, Civ III, IV, V? Nonsense. It's Advanced Civ for me!

But, when I don't have 4 or 5 friends with 18 hours to spare, I'd have to agree with an above commenter: I loved Civ III... until I played Civ IV! And I'm quite looking forward to picking up Civ V, eventually.

One very nice thing about Civ III, though, is that it's easy to pick up "Civ III Complete" for around $4.99 + s/h. Makes it easier to spread the multiplayer fun. ninja

Edit: And I'll second the call for Alpha Centauri 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting this, probably wouldnt have stumbled on it otherwise.

Definately concur with the sentiment that part 4 is much better than part 3, if you have played 1 and 2.

The problem is, part 3 just feels so unfinished when compared with part 4.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Thought
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chrono Trigger represents potential. Results require action.
badge
It is not a certainity, but I have come to believe it possible that some entity wished for us to witness these events. Perhaps it wanted us to see all of these various ages.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news, but.. When 4 came out, I was still tinkering with 3, and now that 5 is on the way, I'm not even close to calling it 'done' with 4. *sigh*

From what I can tell of the series, it's steadily improved, and with both expansions, 4 is just about perfect. I don't know of any design change from 3>4 that I thought was a step back, so, I can't imagine anyone preferring 3.. Anyway, high hopes for the sequel!

ed. oh, and I think they even have a shirt for that now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.