Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open Game Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thoroughly searched the rulebook AND these forums for an answer on what information is "open" to all players in a game of Dominion, but was not successful... shake

So what I'd like to know is:

1) Is every player allowed to check the amount of remaining cards in each storage pile (especially the kingdom cards) during the game?

By "checking" I mean actually counting out the remaining cards at any point during the game, not just by memorizing the amounts or looking at the size of a pile and trying to judge how many cards might be left...

2) Is the active player allowed to look at the contents of his/her discard pile? Or is just the top card visible to all players and noone (not even the "owner" of those cards) may look underneath?

Side note: I have not yet played the online version of the game on BSW, so I wonder how it is handled there... ?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Catlin
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't dragged out the rules for this to see if there is a clear addition, but we play that anyone can (and often does) count the remaining Kingdom cards in stacks. We play that you can only look at the top discard.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Page 6 wrote:
A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck, but not in his
Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck or his Discard pile. A
player may look through the Trash pile, and players may count the number of
cards left in any pile in the Supply.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Rules Page 6 wrote:
A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck, but not in his
Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck or his Discard pile. A
player may look through the Trash pile, and players may count the number of
cards left in any pile in the Supply.


Hey, no fair actually checking the rulebook..
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, what's really unfair is the fact that you British/American people seem to have access to way more detailed/complete rules documents than I do...

There ain't the slightest hint in my German "Hans im Glück"-Dominion rulebooks (well: booklets, actually) regarding these little details, I swear (some German person prove me wrong)... gulp

Well, thanks a lot to DaveD anyway for precisely citing the appropriate passages from YOUR rulebook! Where can I get those English rules (Rio Grande Games, maybe)? Are they downloadable (preferably in PDF-format)?

Btw, was this game originally designed in English, too (can anybody enlighten me on the game's history)??
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are here

http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pd...

Yes, this is an original English design

Edit: as in English language, rather than country of origin which is the US
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
The English rules are here

http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pd...

Yes, this is an original English design

Edit: as in English language, rather than country of origin which is the US


Also,
Intrigue: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_306_gameRules.pd...
Seaside: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_326_gameRules.pd...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drewkitty ~..~
msg tools
The way I've been playing, mainly you just look at the supply deck (using just the eyes) to count how many are left. But if someone does do a physical count (mainly on the provences) they announce how many are left.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
And, to be pendantic, there are (if I haven't forgotten anything) two cards which allow you to examine your discard pile when they are played; Counting House and Philoshopher's Stone. PS only requires that you count your discard pile, but the Alchemy rules say that you can examine it too.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swbarnes2 wrote:
And, to be pendantic, there are (if I haven't forgotten anything) two cards which allow you to examine your discard pile when they are played; Counting House and Philoshopher's Stone. PS only requires that you count your discard pile, but the Alchemy rules say that you can examine it too.


And Inn (from Dominion: Hinterlands) allows you to look through your discard pile when you gain it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.