Subject: Open Game Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thoroughly searched the rulebook AND these forums for an answer on what information is "open" to all players in a game of Dominion, but was not successful... shake

So what I'd like to know is:

1) Is every player allowed to check the amount of remaining cards in each storage pile (especially the kingdom cards) during the game?

By "checking" I mean actually counting out the remaining cards at any point during the game, not just by memorizing the amounts or looking at the size of a pile and trying to judge how many cards might be left...

2) Is the active player allowed to look at the contents of his/her discard pile? Or is just the top card visible to all players and noone (not even the "owner" of those cards) may look underneath?

Side note: I have not yet played the online version of the game on BSW, so I wonder how it is handled there... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Catlin
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't dragged out the rules for this to see if there is a clear addition, but we play that anyone can (and often does) count the remaining Kingdom cards in stacks. We play that you can only look at the top discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Page 6 wrote:
A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck, but not in his
Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck or his Discard pile. A
player may look through the Trash pile, and players may count the number of
cards left in any pile in the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Rules Page 6 wrote:
A player is allowed to count how many cards are left in his Deck, but not in his
Discard pile. A player may not look through his Deck or his Discard pile. A
player may look through the Trash pile, and players may count the number of
cards left in any pile in the Supply.

Hey, no fair actually checking the rulebook..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, what's really unfair is the fact that you British/American people seem to have access to way more detailed/complete rules documents than I do...

There ain't the slightest hint in my German "Hans im Glück"-Dominion rulebooks (well: booklets, actually) regarding these little details, I swear (some German person prove me wrong)... gulp

Well, thanks a lot to DaveD anyway for precisely citing the appropriate passages from YOUR rulebook! Where can I get those English rules (Rio Grande Games, maybe)? Are they downloadable (preferably in PDF-format)?

Btw, was this game originally designed in English, too (can anybody enlighten me on the game's history)??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are here

http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pd...

Yes, this is an original English design

Edit: as in English language, rather than country of origin which is the US

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
The English rules are here

http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pd...

Yes, this is an original English design

Edit: as in English language, rather than country of origin which is the US

Also,
Intrigue: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_306_gameRules.pd...
Seaside: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_326_gameRules.pd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drewkitty ~..~
msg tools
The way I've been playing, mainly you just look at the supply deck (using just the eyes) to count how many are left. But if someone does do a physical count (mainly on the provences) they announce how many are left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
And, to be pendantic, there are (if I haven't forgotten anything) two cards which allow you to examine your discard pile when they are played; Counting House and Philoshopher's Stone. PS only requires that you count your discard pile, but the Alchemy rules say that you can examine it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swbarnes2 wrote:
And, to be pendantic, there are (if I haven't forgotten anything) two cards which allow you to examine your discard pile when they are played; Counting House and Philoshopher's Stone. PS only requires that you count your discard pile, but the Alchemy rules say that you can examine it too.

And Inn (from Dominion: Hinterlands) allows you to look through your discard pile when you gain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.