Popular Tags: [View All]
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this expansion and played it once 2P (w/o Friends and Foes)--it's really good, tense, and tight.

But the "Strike" Nazgul card was a bit hard to decipher, and I'm hoping for some advice from the "cloud":

This particular Nazgul card has a 3 Black Rider at the top right, and the Strike Effect of:

"Active Player: take 3 Corruption or Ring Bearer activate Sauron (Sam suffers full consequences)"

It's the part I've bolded which seems ambiguous. Does this mean that if Sam is the Active player:

(a) he must take 3 corruption (a one-time violation of his special ability) AND activate Sauron (if Sam's also the ring-bearer)?,

or

(b) he must take 3 corruption (a one-time violation of his special ability) OR ELSE the ring-bearer must activate Sauron?

or

(c) he takes only 1 corruption (due to his ability) AND the ring-bearer activates Sauron?

I'm leaning towards (b), but don't feel confident about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it that as:

Active player takes 3 corruption

OR

Ring-bearer sauron (if Sam Ring-bearer, full consequences)

Also, as I read the rules, Sam's ability only applies against Sauron cards, not Nazgul cards. Sam's ability is related to die rolls, Sauron-activation with this expansion, Nazgul cards are not related to Sauron-activation in place of die roll (can only use a Nazgul card during the start of turn activation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, none of your guesses was correct, because you were assuming that the phrase in parentheses that you highlighted -- Sam suffers full consequences -- referred to the entire statement before it. It actually only refers to the part about the Ring-bearer invoking Sauron. Rauli got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.