Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/world/europe/20dutch.html?...

Finally, after months of mindless bickering and a complete lack of leadership for the last 3 years labour and the christian democrats concluded what everyone else already had, that they can no longer "rule" together.

Thank god.

Elections can come and then, maybe, fingers crossed, we can finally get rid of this joker:

And get somebody who is not afraid to show leadership and make actual decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I just read about it, including reader comments from two Swedes whose ten years in Amsterdam made them self-proclaimed experts on Dutch politics. One said that the last decade or so had been a total mess with incapable governments wasting their time squabbling instead of doing stuff. The other one said the opposite, that frequent coalition breakdowns were viewed as just a part of the political game, and something that made individual parties more significant and the political outcome more representative for what people actually think.

I hope the second guy is right. I hate seeing the parties in the left- and right-wing alliances compromise away their core values, desperate to present a face of unity and a 0% probability their government will break. A premature re-election is just an extra shuffling the deck, it's just asking the people again "so, what was it you wanted us to do?"

I wish they could let more issues be decided Wild West style in parliament. Like in 2003, when an unlikely coalition of the most left and the most right (and the greens of course) overruled the ruling center-left government's decision to shut new EU member citizens from our labor market for a "transition period" to avoid "welfare tourism". That was beautiful. And the Poles could pour in in any numbers.

As we have national elections in 7 months, this Dutch coalition breakdown will be exploited, especially since it's about whether or not to be in Afghanistan. The right-wings (who all want to be in Afghanistan) will say: "Look what happens when your government coalition does not have a unified standpoint on Afghanistan". The ex-Commies can say: "Look, the benevolent Dutch don't want to be in Afghanistan, since when did we become more NATO-asslicking than them?" I hope the Social Democrat response will be: "80% of parliament wants Swedish troops in Afghanistan, so Swedish democracy is to have Swedish soldiers in Afghanistan. And so we will, no matter if we form a coalition government with the Communists or not."

Anyway, congratulations to getting rid of this old protectionist, and good luck in the upcoming election.

And do you feel your relatively frequent coalition breakdowns is an example of democracy failing or democracy working?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
I hope the second guy is right. I hate seeing the parties in the left- and right-wing alliances compromise away their core values, desperate to present a face of unity and a 0% probability their government will break.

Actually they tried to have 100% unity; they failed at it, but they tried. At the start of their period in government coalition parties always write so called 'governing accords'in which they outline what they will do and how, and that all parties in the coalition agree. Under Balkenende they wrote an exceptionally tight one covering almost all eventualities. This made they actual governing stale and uninspiring, and in the end it failed anyway.

Mondainai wrote:
And do you feel your relatively frequent coalition breakdowns is an example of democracy failing or democracy working?

Democracy working for sure, as long is it does not happen too often. Makes sure they do not get too accustomed to the reins of power, such as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is he old enough to shave?

Some say he isn't, but he failed to provide his birth-certificate to prove it once and for all.

Koldfoot wrote:
I swear his pupils are different sizes.

The least of his failings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rejoice? Aw yeah, it's time for my wooden cloggy tap dance.

*taptaptaptaptaptaptap*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, its just an expression which I translated literally from Dutch. Probably should have said 'resigned their commission' or some shit like that. But I like your version of the fall of government better, so I think I'll keep on using that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
The British use "the government" in a way that to an American really means "Administration".

That because you USA'ians have an irrational fear of the government and thus feel the need to make it larger, and therefore more scary... . devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
DCAnderson wrote:
I think it would actually be the correct term in English English, it's just funny since what Americans think of as "the government" is far more broad.

The British use "the government" in a way that to an American really means "Administration".
This has always frustrated me.

The 20 or so guys/girls, one for each ministry, one being the boss of them all, what the hell do you call that?
"Regering" of Sweden 2009

I find "administration" a bit broad as well, as if it meant a lot of bureaucrats as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.