Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Foster
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m putting together a contest to determine the best gamer in our meetup group, and I need some serious help. If you can provide any assistance, I would appreciate it greatly.

The championship is highly dependent on the number of points scored in each game (yes, I know that many, many people think that you should base championships only on order of finish, but I couldn’t figure out how to make that work with my constraints. Please just go with it.). I need to know as much as possible about the factors that may change the scoring for the following 10 games (note that the gaming will take place over 12 sessions, and, while participants must play each game at least once, the number of times each participant plays a game will vary from their opponents in the contest.):

Agricola:

# of Players – If I allow 3, 4, or 5 players to play in a session, will a player who wins a 3 player game have a significant advantage in total points over a player who plays the 4 or 5 player game (or vice versa)?

Deck used – Should I limit use to a single deck? If so, which one?

Variant – I tend to like drafting cards to start, but I’m worried that would seriously disadvantage the inexperienced players. Do you think that the draw 10/discard to 7 variant would work best or should I just stick with the draw 7?

Endeavor:

# of Players – If I allow 3, 4, or 5 players to play in a session, will a player who wins a 3 player game have a significant advantage in total points over a player who plays the 4 or 5 player game (or vice versa)?

Power Grid:

# of Players – If I allow 3, 4, 5, or 6 players to play in a session, will a player who wins a 3 player game have a significant advantage in total points over a player who plays the 4, 5, or 6 player game (or vice versa)? Does it play well with 6?

Map – Should I stick to either the US or German map or allow use of either? If I choose one, which?

Princes of Florence:

I’ve never played this game and know nothing about it. Given the questions above, anything that I need to consider?

Puerto Rico:

# of Players – As far as I can tell, as long as I limit the # of players to 3, 4, or 5, scoring opportunities don’t change all that much. Anyone disagree?

Race for the Galaxy:

# of Players – I have the Gathering Storm expansion, so I can add a 5th player. As far as I can tell from personal experience, scoring opportunities don’t change too much dependent on the number of players. Anyone disagree?

Shogun:

Map - Should I stick to either the Sun or Moon or allow use of either? If I choose, which?

Steam:

Map – I’ve only played this game once and don’t own it. I don’t even know what maps it comes with. Assuming that there are multiple maps, should I stick to one or allow use of whatever the people playing choose for that session? If I choose one, which one?

Rules – Should I choose either Standard or Basic rules or allow either? If I choose, which one?

Stone Age:

# of Players – From personal experience, 2, 3, and 4 player games differ greatly in scoring opportunities, so I’m going to try to restrict this one to 4 players. Anyone disagree?

Tigris and Euphrates:

# of Players – This is such a low scoring game that it doesn’t seem to me that the number of players would impact scoring opportunities all that much. Is this a good supposition?

Finally:

If I’ve missed any factors that I should be considering, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.