Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my first game of Warhammer 40,000.
The original plan was to field a 1500pt army, but when it came down to it there was no way I could assemble that many points in just one week. So instead we went for 1500 Chaos Marines vs 750 Space Marines & 750 Orks - I was playing the Orks.

Fluff. Why would Space Marines be working with Orks?

1) It’s just a game. (nah)
2) United against the common enemy of Chaos? (Nah)
3) We’ll go with 3, as follows;

Space Marine: "Oi! Ork!"
Ork Warboss: "Wot you want hoo-man?"
Space Marine: "Are you ready for a fight?"
Ork Warboss: "Dakka Dakka! Orks iz awalyz ready for fight!"
Space Marine: "Right. Well you see them Chaos, they called you mother a fat dirty slapper."
Ork Warboss: "She iz a fat dirty slappa. We go fight ‘dem anywayz. Gretchin, go fetch the Boyz. Oh, and mum too!"

We set up the table and I won Initiative. We started to place pieces with my Orks taking up the left and center flank and the Space Marines to the right. Ah, problem. In his haste, and with carrying all the scenery and his tanks, the Space Marine player had forgot his figure case. So, with Space Marines using spare Chaos Marines as a proxy we set up.

Orks
Ork Warboss (with Power Claw, ‘eavy armour & Cybork body)
Big Mek with Kustom Force Field
5 Nobz (count as Troop Choice)
24 ‘Ard Boyz
3 Deffkoptas

I’m not too sure on the exact troops used by the other players, but I’ll try.

Space Marines
Land Raider
Commander
Whirlwind
Troops (I really don’t know which ones)

Chaos Space Marines
Terminator Lord 2 (I think)
Thousand Sons with Psyker
6 x Bikes
Predator
Plaguebearers of Nurgle
Chaos Space Marines
2x Rhino
And some creature that meandered around the battlefield

The first round and, amazingly, I took first blood. I moved my Defkoptas towards the Thousand Sons and defeated one of them! Result as far as I was concerned. My Nobz with Big Mek ran up the left flank with my Boyz with the Warboss running straight down the middle using a building as cover. The Space Marines all boarded the Land Raider which started its advance. The Whirlwind stayed back and attacked the Chaos Predator with missiles.

Chaos pretty much held their ground only advancing slightly. A single Ard Boy was lost and a Deffkopta took a wound.

As the game proceeded it was the Space Marine/Ork coalition that was doing all the advancing, taking the fight to Chaos. The Space Marines would deploy their Troops to assault the Chaos Bikes with even success/loss. The Ork Boyz kept advancing, and amazingly only a couple Boyz were lost in that next couple of turns!

The Deffkoptas were not fairing so well but the Nobz made their saves time and time again thanks to Big Mek and his Kustom Force Field. Big Mek was just one of my stars of the game.

As we pressed on my Nobz finished off the Thousand Sons. My Ork Boys wiped out the Plaguebearers of Nurgle and went on to take out the Chaos Marines. At this point I still had 17 Ard Boys still in play, something I was amazed at. I really had expected my Orks to get wiped out quickly. My Warboss broke from the Unit and destroyed one of the Rhinos in a single attack! This was a lot of fun. The Marines were having to fight for it though with the Land Raider being immobilised and losing a weapon.

Oh-oh! The Chaos Marines then brought in a deep strike. They landed Chaos Terminators right near the Space Marine Whirlwind and their Chaos Lord in the middle, near my Warboss. My Warboss fell quickly. So I brought my Ork Nobz and Big Mek in to take on the Chaos Lord. Suddenly my saves were not as good and the Chaos saves were. The Chaos Lord wiped out my Nobz and Big Mek! Then one of my Deffkoptas self-destructed as it had the Get’s Hot penalty with it’s Mega-Blaster. The Space Marines had been able to reduce the Chaos Terminators but that was it.

The Chaos Lord held the objective so victory was his.

So did I enjoy Warhammer 40K (after I’ve just spent £170 on it)? Yes!

It’s great fun. I’ve no qualms that Orks are not the strongest army, but they are still fun to play and I love the look of them. Although Space Wolves have caught my eye.

I can’t wait until next week when I get to play again. This could be my new #1 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to disagree with you about Orks not being a strong army. They can be ridiculous with the right builds. Here's some Orks tips:

1. Just buy regular Boyz instead of the armored ones. Large groups of Boyz can provide each other cover saves and it keeps them Fearless.

2. Lootas are awesome.

3. Nobz on bikes are awesome.

4. Three trucks filled with Boyz in a formation with the Big Mek and his forcefield in the middle truck are awesome.

5. Snikrott and the Commandos are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll take all of that on board. Seriously, I will

The only reason I say Orks are not the strongest is that I've just seen them take a pasting several times. Could have build/players I guess, that was before I knew the rules.

I've been advised that a Painboy can be good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engelstein
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of Ork 40k, and in my opinion the best way to play them in small point values is to take boys and boys and boys. Orks on their own are not very impressive, but at 750 you can run 90 boys with nobs, and a warboss, an army I use (and win with) a lot at, and one that has proved its worth time and time again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rake
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
Wait, you mention that the terminators were deep striked. what about the plague bearers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been around 40k long enough to have really been exposed to this fluff directly, but my understanding is that way back in the day there was a good amount of fluff about humans and orks living together. Not the proper fighting forces, but human colonies trading with Ork settlements and so on. In that world you could easily envision the alliance above. I think it's unfortunate that GW has over time made the Orks in particular much more one-dimensional in their background and fluff. It's not really necessary to support the gameplay, and I'm sure the 12 year olds don't really notice either way, but it is a purposefully lost opportunity for a richer universe.

Like others said, Orks are actually really strong, you just need to recognize that their strength is primarily in their numbers, not the power of any individual member. If one Marine dies, it's a noticeable loss. If a handful of Orks dies... It's not really a big deal. That said, you should also note that their basic statline is pretty similar to a Marine's---Strength, Toughness, etc. They're not nearly as easily crunched as IG or the weaker Tyranids. Plus they have advantages like almost all of their weaponry being Assault; the Marine's reliance on Rapid Fire definitely slows limits their mobility a bit. The Ork codex also has a couple viable strategies, which is nice. You can definitely rock a traditional huge foot horde of numberless little dudes; a slightly smaller and more mechanized force with Battlewagons, Kans, Dredds, and so on; or a more shooty and elite oriented force of Nobs, Meganobs, Lootas, and so on. Ork HQs are also generally pretty powerful for the points cost compared to some of the other armies. If you like them, definitely stick with it, just accept that in any given game probably a lot of Orks are going to die, but you could definitely still win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think more than any army Orkz are fun if you want them to be, you can lose with a good themed army and have a real blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreg wrote:
Wait, you mention that the terminators were deep striked. what about the plague bearers?

Trying to remember.

I think he brought those in the middle of the field between my Orks & his Chaos Marines. As I said, I mowed right through them and the Marines.

If my luck had held against his Chaos Lord I would have held one of the objectives. Shame that.

This week we're running 3x500 vs 3x500. Could be be fun mixing it up like that. I should be able to filed Nobz, Boyz, Bikes and Big Mek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.