Subject: Afternoon of the Dead rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game a couple of days ago. While waiting for a friend to arrive, I and another friend had a go at this 2p. I just have to say, the art in this is amazing. It's cartoony but beautifully drawn and inked.

My friend (Z) started with Dragonmaster Ghouls, paying 1 coin while I paid 2 and went with Commando Giants. He cleared off a respectable chunk of land (around 5-6 regions), while I took advantage of my attacking power and hit 8 regions in one go. After his next conquest I found myself short of tokens(I wonder why shake) and went into decline straight away, going with Pillaging Skeletons.

Unfortunately, Z chose this moment to retire his ghouls. I hit them from a weak edge and managed to kill off many of them, mitigating the ghoul special power of remaining on the board. Z struck back with Forest Tritons, capturing another 4-5 regions but failing to do much damage because of my superior numbers. Our exchange went on for another few turns and the bonus tokens and coins of my race and special really started to take its toll. The constant extra 8-coin income from the lands held by the retired giants certainly helped too. Z left them entirely alone while he engaged my Skeletons, so by the time it was over his troops were decimated and I had pulled very far ahead in victory coins.

At turn 6, Z's next choice was Berserk Wizards, attacking my giants at last, and I responded one turn later with Fortified Orcs. At this point our missing friend finally showed up and we decided to end the game, with a clear majority and win for me.

Quite an eyeopening first game. Really showed the importance of choosing the right race-special combination at the right time and finding the right opportunity to go into decline. Can't wait to see how the dynamic changes with more players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your off to good start. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.