Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the PuG ACTS Tourney is being launched, with a view to starting the 1st Round on 1st March 2010 if not earlier.

Detailed Instructions on how the tournament will follow in my next post, but this post is a roll call: anyone wanting to participate in the PuG ACTS Tourney should email me (philipthomas693@hotmail.com) with "Pug ACTS Tourney competitor" in the subject line and your ACTS username in the email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pursuit of Glory PBEM Tournament Instructions

1. The referees for the tournament are Philip Thomas, Kristian Thy and Wayne Heeley. They are responsible for interpreting the tournament instructions and may change them if needed. In case of dispute, the referees will vote on the matter and the majority will carry it.

2. The Tournament will take place over 7 rounds. There will be 2 qualifying rounds, in which all competitors will play 2 games in each round, all 4 games being against different opponents. The 16 players with the highest score over their 4 games (see 5 below) will then go forward to a knock-out competition, seeded by score, which will involve each player in one game, the loser being eliminated, so that there will be 8 players in the second round of the knockout, 4 in the semifinals and 2 in the finals. [If player numbers vary significantly from expected, then the top 32 or 8 players may be chosen instead of the top 16]. Arrangements will be made for eliminated players to play further casual games if desired.

3. In each game, the sides will be determined following the procedure in rule 19.8 Pre Game Bidding Phase, (p.4 of the playbook). The referee for the game will determine the player who starts the bidding by means of a 6-sided die roll on ACTS emailed to both players, with an odd number meaning that the player whose ACTS username’s first letter (and if, necessary, second and subsequent letters) is closest to the beginning of the alphabet starts the bidding and an even number meaning that the other player starts the bidding. The bidding should be conducted by emails between the players copied to the game referee. Once sides have been determined the referee will set up an ACTS game for the players.

4. The interface for the games will be ACTS, but players can use whatever method they choose to record their positions on the gameboard. Players are not required to exchange positions but may do so if both of them wish.

5. Points for games won and lost will be awarded in accordance with rule 5.4 Tournament play, with the addition that the losing player scores negative points equal to the amount scored by the winning player. The points totals over the 4 games each player plays in the qualifying rounds will determine which players go through to the knockout competition and also seeding within the competition. During the knockout competition, although points will be recorded, they will not matter for who gets eliminated, as it will always be the match loser.

6. The first round of the competition will last 3 months, from 1st March 2010 to 1st June 2010 (some games may start early). At the end of the 3 months, if many games are still playing the round may be extended. Future rounds will have time limits determined on the basis of experience in previous rounds. If a game is still playing after the time limit expires the referee will call the result of the game. If it is evident that one player has been delaying much more than the other with no reasonable excuse, the referee will award the game to the non-delaying player with such points value as he sees fit. Otherwise, the game will be determined as if an Armistice had been declared. Games determined in this way can only score the winner 1 or 2 points, not 3, since there was no autovictory.

7. The rules in force are those stated in the latest Living rules version that was available at the start of the game [the current living rules may be found at http://is.gd/8LlHh ]. In any rules dispute within a game the referee for that game has the final word, even if he is wrong according to a ruling elsewhere. Optional Rules 18.13 (Anzac Desert Corps special movement) and 19.4 (Severe Weather Variant) will be used in all games. No other optional rules will be used. The scenario will be the Campaign Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Instructions (above) are not set in stone, but if you don't like one of them or have some changes to suggest, please make your suggestions now or asap, as it will obviously be difficult to change anything once games are in progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy I'd really like to be in, but my spare time March to June will be limited. I haven't played PuG PBEM. Realistically, to finish a game in this time, what sort of daily commitment will be needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question!

There are 6 impulses per turn per player and a maximum of 17 turns=102 impulses total. As there are two games per player that should be doubled- 204 impulses total. There are about 90 days in the 3 months, so roughly 2.25 impulses per day are needed from each player. I would round that up to 3 impulses per normal day to allow for holidays, sickness etc (and also for the extrabookeeping at turn end and the bidding at the beginning of the game).

Of course, some games will finish well before that because of autovictories by one side or the other. And the tournament organsies will be amenable to extensions for the first round if its clear that 3 months is too short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have 11 players for the tournament. Repeating my earlier roll call:

Anyone wanting to participate in the PuG ACTS Tourney should email me (philipthomas693@hotmail.com) with "Pug ACTS Tourney competitor" in the subject line and your ACTS username in the email.

Please note that the lists will close at 8am GMT on the 28th February in order to give us time to work out who is playing whom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closing rollcall

So far we have 16 players for the tournament. Repeating my earlier roll call:

Anyone wanting to participate in the PuG ACTS Tourney should email me (philipthomas693@hotmail.com) with "Pug ACTS Tourney competitor" in the subject line and your ACTS username in the email.

Please note that the lists will close at 8am GMT on the 28th February in order to give us time to work out who is playing whom.

I have replied to all the "PuG ACTs Tourney competitor emails" I have recieved, a short reply saying Thanks. If you have not got a reply to your email, please try again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
So where can I find a list of the competitors? I'm supposed to be bidding for sides, but I don't know which of the 3 Christophers is the one I'm playing against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
I thought the ACTS die roller copied all the emails into the message. Guess not.

Philip, perhaps you can update the spreadsheet with all emails and redistribute?

Lars, I'll be in touch with you by email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have the list. Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also assumed the die roller would provide email adresses, oh well you live and learn.

Ok, I'll produce a spreadsheet variant with the email addresses as per ACTS.

However, before that appears, anyone who is in doubt about their opponent's email address can simply look up their name on ACTS...

edit: the opening referred to in the earlier version of this post is now closed. No more late entries will be accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.