Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who voted in the Top 50 round which you can see -> here. 38 users participated with a total of 800 votes cast.

This was a tight contest with a really wide mix of films. I decided that for a film to make the cut for the Top 25 that it had to get at least 10 ratings to ensure that results are representative of BGGers, so here are the Best of the Rest Movies that Hardly Anyone on BGG has seen:

La dolce vita (1960)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
The Lives of Others (2006)
Mildred Pierce (1945)
Viridiana (1961)
City Lights (1931)
Repulsion (1965)

An early indicator of the eventual winner is the films with the most "Best" ratings. Here are all those that got the most 'Best' ratings, with 7 or more:

14 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
10 Seven Samurai (1954)
10 The Dark Knight (2008)
8 Casablanca (1942)
8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
7 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
7 Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

Raiders remains topping the list and was also the film in the Top 50 that the most of us had seen. I guess the surprise is that 4 people hadn't seen it! Seven Samurai rises up to from 6th on this table, Dark Knight and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are new entries on it while Casablanca drops from 2nd.

In this next poll I have narrowed it down to the Top 25 based on average ratings. To calculate this I awarded points for each rating: Best (4), Awesome (3), Great (2), Good (1), Okay (0).

The Top Ten based on average rating for the last round are:

Seven Samurai (1954)
Yojimbo the Bodyguard (1961)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Casablanca (1942)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Citizen Kane (1941)
Ben-Hur (1959)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
The Right Stuff (1983)

Yojimbo drops from 1st and with only 11 ratings only just makes the cut for the Top 25 on minimum vote requirements. Seven Samurai is up from 3rd and wouldn't be a bad bet for the movie to win this contest. Raiders climbs from 10th to 3rd and Casablanca climbs from 6th to 4th. To Kill a Mockingbird drops 3 places and Its a Wonderful Life drops 2 places.
The other four movies are new entries and show that there are a lot of twists left in this contest, especially in Amelie, which came in 15th - a major collapse in form from the previous poll.

Just missing the cut for the Top 25 are:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
The Wrestler (2008)
Watchmen (2009)
Gandhi (1982)
Goodfellas (1990)
Chinatown (1974)

The last 25 have been re-seeded based on their average rating in the last poll and split them into 5 brackets of 5 films.

The top 2 or so from each bracket will go through to the next round. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket, ideally by rating them all first and then upgrading an 'Awesome'. Here we go:

Poll: Best of the Rest: Top 25
1. Rate the Movies you have seen. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket.
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay
Seven Samurai (1954)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Trainspotting (1996)
Run Lola Run (1998)
Stand by Me (1986)
2. Rate the Movies you have seen. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket.
Yojimbo the Bodyguard (1961)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Miller's Crossing (1990)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
Zombieland (2009)
3. Rate the Movies you have seen. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket.
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The African Queen (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
4. Rate the Movies you have seen. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket.
Casablanca (1942)
Citizen Kane (1941)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
Spartacus (1960)
5. Rate the Movies you have seen. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket.
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Amelie (2001)
Ran (1985)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
      71 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

There is a notification thread for my polls which you can subscribe to if you don't want to miss the latest poll:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
The second bracket is a tough one for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, wide mix of movies, quite different films in one bracket. Amelie is a lovely movie, I hope it will go through! Interesting to see the difference in tastes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Amelie better than Ran?
Does not compute
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Amelie better than Ran?
Does not compute

This is true. But probably more people saw Amelie than Run, including myself. I wish I had seen Run, hopefully one day I will. Kurosawa is great. There are more movies in this list that do not compute, but these are all personal opinions. Still interesting to see the result, imho. For this very reason as well, that some films are far from each other in one bracket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
tesuji wrote:
Amelie better than Ran?
Does not compute

This is true. But probably more people saw Amelie than Run, including myself. I wish I had seen Run, hopefully one day I will. Kurosawa is great. There are more movies in this list that do not compute, but these are all personal opinions. Still interesting to see the result, imho. For this very reason as well, that some films are far from each other in one bracket.

Not sure that the "more people saw it" reason explains the numbers. Of the people who have seen Amelie, a higher percentage rate it Best than the the equivalent for Ran.

Other than that I can't comment as I haven't seen Ran. But it is on my to-watch list now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not mean the numbers would be the only reason for Amelie getting a higher rating. There are all sorts of factors to it. These polls are very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
In any case, I definitely recommend Ran. Kursawai's take on King Lear, with more war scenes and blood. Epic feel and gorgeous cinematography. I need to see it again too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe that The Dark Knight is being mentioned in the same breath as Casablanca, much less pulling down 2/3 of the number of votes for the top slot. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
I can't believe that The Dark Knight is being mentioned in the same breath as Casablanca, much less pulling down 2/3 of the number of votes for the top slot. shake

Casablanca is scoring far better than The Dark Knight on average ratings, so don't despair for the Geek community yet. And potentially those rating Dark Knight "Best" in that bracket haven't seen Casablanca....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate you for bracket 5. But Casablanca is a no brainer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.