Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: soccer game feedback requested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
For about the last year or so now, I've been playing around with my own home-grown football (that's soccer for the rest of the world!) game. While I admit it's not perfect, I think the core rules (which have undergone several revisions during the process) are pretty solid by now. In any case, I'd be interested in any feedback on the rules, available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jz3ltvczlmx

Danken Shen!

EDIT: here's the pdf, and thanks to anyone who's read it (I realise it's not to all tastes)

http://www.mediafire.com/?z5kt1xyionv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ondatje
United States
Marina Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
tried to download but said unable to load graphis content. i would very much like to read the rules and give input, any other way to read them? jimO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
In light of the above, I've uploaded a 'no-graphics' (they were only there for the look, anyway!) version as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmmnzozidwt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my first and serious feedback is i don't think i would want to play a soccer game with 26 pages of rules.

i'd rather play pond hockey (street soccer)

no further feedback though sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
my first and serious feedback is i don't think i would want to play a soccer game with 26 pages of rules.

i'd rather play pond hockey (street soccer)

no further feedback though sorry.
Downloading now, but if this is truly the case then you've made a soccer board game with a rulebook LONGER than the FIFA rulebook. Edit to come soon...

EDIT: Okay...I'm giving it a skimthrough but I'm really not interested - sports games tend to be significantly worse than playing the actual sport, and I prefer to scoff at sports simulations (I hate Madden football)...you're going to have to simplify the game, put it in PDF format for all to see, and/or rewrite the rules so it doesn't look so much like the FIFA Laws of Football/the rulebook to 18xx.

That said...likely not my cup of tea in a world of Subbuteo, Foosball, and a pair of cleats/close proximity to any park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, on the other hand, prefer a more detailed simulation of the sport. The manual may be 26 pages, but it is NOT a densely packed 26 pages so i don't really have a problem with it. I've downloaded it and will give you some feedback later in the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 of those pages are team info only on the various included teams ... other pages are pictures of the field or various charts that would be on the board ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Eveninger
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
dmcke013 wrote:
For about the last year or so now, I've been playing around with my own home-grown football (that's soccer for the rest of the world!) game. While I admit it's not perfect, I think the core rules (which have undergone several revisions during the process) are pretty solid by now. In any case, I'd be interested in any feedback on the rules, available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jz3ltvczlmx

Danken Shen!

It's football for whole world and soccer only for US

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
bryczqa wrote:
It's football for whole world and soccer only for US

Sounds like our measurement system... I love metric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't seem overly daunting. I'll try to get through them and offer up something constructive.

My problem with soccer (and hockey) boardgames has always been that the real game has constantly moving players. That's difficult to replicate in a boardgame. I love sports sims (Strat-o-matic baseball, Paydirt, etc...). But baseball and football have action that occurs when everyone is relatively stationary. The pieces aren't in constant motion and therefore, fairly easy to replicate and enjoy in a simulation. Hockey and soccer? Not so much so (in my experiences). Hopefully you've found something different here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.