Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forcing a Deal Breaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Greco
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully I can explain this situation with out making it confusing haha. Ill explain it then comment on the rules it breaks/follows after.

Here's the set up:

Player 1(Me): In my hand I have a Deal Breaker, a Forced Deal, and just for fun a Blue/Green Rent Card. In my property row I have a Green Property (for this scenario we will assume just a Green, not a dual wild card)

Player 2: Lets ignore what is in his/her hand, and assume he/she has no Just Say No cards. In his/her property row they have 2 Green Properties stacked up, and a Railroad on its own. He/she also has some money.

Its Player 1's (My) turn. I Begin by playing my Forced Deal (card 1) and trade my Green property for Player 2's Railroad. I put on a good show and exclaim "Jeez I'm a moron, I didn't realize I gave you a Monopoly." As my opponent completes the Green set I play my Deal Breaker (card 2) and steal the set. I finish by playing my Green/Blue Rent Card card 3) and take 7M from them.

So is this play legit? We tried reasoning out the situation, and my friend figured that since its not Player 2's turn, they are not allowed to relocate property as they normally could. Therefore the Deal Breaker move is dependent on where Player 1 physically pushes the card to in the Forced Deal maneuver. However, I feel that's a pretty weak and iffy rule. We also figured that it depends on how hubris Player 2 is. For example, if Player 2 is arrogant and says "Ha moron, I've got a monopoly." and puts it together then Deal Break away. If player is foreseeing and leaves it separate then no Deal Break. This also incorporates the debated rule that you can build the same colour set separately to avoid the Deal Breaker. If that rule didn't exist, then this scenario would totally be possible because Player 2 would be forced to complete his set. However, I'm a huge proponent of the avoiding the Deal Breaker card technique so I'd rather not discard that idea haha. Furthermore, if the cards are dual wild cards this opens another can of worms, since Player 2 can easily argue he/she was making a Blue and Green set (or whatever).

Hopefully that all made sense, and I can get some other opinions on it haha. This game is fantastic though. My friends and I are addicted and play before, after, between and sometimes during classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*I* think it's legit, but some tables play that you do NOT have to combine complete sets, so you could have two greens in one 'set' and one green in another 'set'.

So it depends on how you interpret the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel de Klerk
msg tools
According to the rules " you can only re-arrange properties on your turn of play" thus the forced player may not move properties around out of turn . You must wait for the next round to try and play your DealBreaker .
That is my humble opinion and of course we had the same scenario quite a few times . After heated debate and scanning the rules and updates and Googling it was clear that it is not allowed .

This is a fun game and you can invent some devious moves to win . My favourite is a harmless devil and apparently accidental lapse in concentration by showing my cards while hanging over the table to study the other player's cards . Of course the blue cards you see is not JSN and nobody usually try to take my properties assuming I have 2 or 3 JSN cards .

Enjoy it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glassartist wrote:
According to the rules " you can only re-arrange properties on your turn of play" thus the forced player may not move properties around out of turn .

Yeah, people keep quoting this rule and leaving out the fact that you can only rearrange WILD CARDS. The rule refers to changing the designation of a wild card, which I concur can only happen on your turn.

If you have two green cards (named or an allocated wild) and I hand you a named green card (or an allocated wild card), then you have a complete set and I can steal it with Deal Breaker.

Otherwise, everyone would always split all of their properties into a bunch of individual 'single' sets at the end of their turn. That's far too much micromanagement for a game of this caliber so common sense has to win out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel de Klerk
msg tools
Quote:
If you have two green cards (named or an allocated wild) and I hand you a named green card (or an allocated wild card), then you have a complete set and I can steal it with Deal Breaker.

No , I only have a full set if I put it together as a full set . It is my hand and I can put it either with an incomplete set or on it's own "on my turn". It is a strategy game and I think strict adherence to the rules must apply to prevent chaos .

Also it is not only wildcards that can be moved around because according to the rules any card can be on it's own . It means I can have 3 green properties and place each one on it's own . For no reason at all , it is mine and my strategy .

There are however a few rules that Hasbro is contradicting themselves . Reading through the threads I found it as quoted "hasbro"

Quote:
UncleBob wrote:
5.)The rules state that a player has to collect 3 full property groups of different colors to win - however, can a player have two property groups of the same color - and collect rent on both? Example: I have Boardwalk, Park Place and two "Property Wild Cards" - can I put Boardwalk and a "Property Wild Card" as one group of Dark Blue Properties and Park Place and the second "Property Wild Card" as a second group of Dark Blue Properties. I can't use this as two property groups to win, but if I then play a Blue/Green Rent Action Card, do I get to collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties?
Hasbro wrote:
5. Yes. You collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties.
Quote:
From Hasbro FAQ :Q - IF I’M COLLECTING 2 PROPERTY SETS OF THE SAME COLOUR AT ONE TIME, CAN I PLAY A MATCHING-COLOURED RENT CARD AND CHARGE RENT ON BOTH SETS?

A - No. You can charge Rent on one set (complete or incomplete) at a time.

Confusing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to ignore the 'FAQs' because the way the questions were asked was leading and I'm fairly certain that there isn't a specific person at Hasbro who is responsible for this game.

The answers have contradicted the rules and other FAQs which have ostensibly been received from Hasbro but have NOT been put on the Monopoly Deal website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel de Klerk
msg tools
While reading all the threads I found some contradictions of the rules by Hasbro.

Quote:

Quote:
UncleBob wrote:
5.)The rules state that a player has to collect 3 full property groups of different colors to win - however, can a player have two property groups of the same color - and collect rent on both? Example: I have Boardwalk, Park Place and two "Property Wild Cards" - can I put Boardwalk and a "Property Wild Card" as one group of Dark Blue Properties and Park Place and the second "Property Wild Card" as a second group of Dark Blue Properties. I can't use this as two property groups to win, but if I then play a Blue/Green Rent Action Card, do I get to collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties?
Hasbro wrote:
5. Yes. You collect rent on both groups of Blue Properties.
Quote:
Quote:
From Hasbro FAQ :Q - IF I’M COLLECTING 2 PROPERTY SETS OF THE SAME COLOUR AT ONE TIME, CAN I PLAY A MATCHING-COLOURED RENT CARD AND CHARGE RENT ON BOTH SETS?

A - No. You can charge Rent on one set (complete or incomplete) at a time.

And here is another set of rules that is contradictory .

Quote:
UncleBob wrote:
4.)Are Houses/Hotels played on property considered property as well - Can they be reorganized during your turn?
a.)Let's say I have a complete set of Yellow Properties with a house and a hotel along with a complete set of Green Properties. Can I play a "Rent Card" to collect rent on my complete Yellow Properties (with House/Hotel), rearrange my House/Hotel and move them to my Green Properties, then play a "Rent Card" and collect rent on the complete Green Properties with House/Hotel?
Hasbro wrote:
4. No. Once a house/hotel has been played onto a property set, that stays with that set. It can only be removed to pay rent.

Quote:
When you place a house/hotel, is it locked to that property set?

Hasbro - Houses/hotels can be moved to other properties.

Maybe everybody must make their own rules and print a book for use when playing . And choose whose rulebook will be used for the game by drawing straws ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.