武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all fans of Fire & Fury!

Finally after many years of waiting I started to paint and create the first stands of this fine game with 10mm miniatures, but many questions crowd my mind ...

How many stands you built, for the Union army and how many for the Confederate, to play an average scenario?

Building stands for the bigger battles (Gettysburg, Antietam) requires an average of 300 CSA and 420 USA only for the infantry ...
(3 stands per week, 52 weeks, approximately 180 stands, 900/180 = 5 years of hard work!!! Note 900 is the total CSA + USA infantry, artillery, cavalry, leaders; Ok I can do it better and faster blush )

How to organize the distinction of brigades? Only with small details of the same colors and uniforms or do you know a more logical method?

And above all, having played only a few times (5) , Have the system F&F longevity ? The game worth the candle for you?

Any advice is really welcome ... and if you come in Italy (Milan) you can count on me for gaming.

Bye

Filippo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can do with have of that many stands. Depending on the scenario but it better to begin with one side and then have a friend work on the other side.

The best way to distinguis the different brigades would be the flag cariers. You can paint or even print (available on the web) and glue them easy.

I like the smaller scale of Johnny Reb III better as a game. You also could get started on very small scale scenarios with only a few regiments on each side (8-30 stands a side). However this is regiment based not brigade. Note that i prefer tactics not grand strategy.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
lexen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time ACW wargamer. Welcome to F&F !!!

However, the initial size of the armies required can be daunting.

Take a look at

http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?products_id=636...

Buy it once, and print it out as many times as you need on sticky label paper... and glue to plastic card bases for the Union / Confederate army of your dreams..

I painted all my flag units first - using Old glory / Eseex minis and then slowly replaced the 'flats' with metal.

Then i moved to the USA... and I sold all my 15mm. so, I started again, and used a mixture of 20mm plastics. IMEX ACW range is good here.

One thing to remember, the Gettysburg scenarios in the F&F rulebook are absolute monsters, in terms of the size of table required and the number of units. The two scenario books have smaller more manageable scenarios, althought they still have over-size games imo.

There are a lot of rules systems out there - but clever basing can make your F&F troops fight under JR3 / Mr Lincolns War etc with just a little tweaking.

Hope this helps you and I'm happy to help you if you need any more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Fire and Fury isn't the right choice for playing any of the really big battles unless you have: lots of friends with figures of their own, lots of space and lots of time. For big battles, I play Volley & Bayonet with the ACW sourcebook: Battles of the American Civil War: A Sourcebook for Volley & Bayonet. I'd save F&F for battles with around 15-20000 men per side.

Volley and Bayonet uses 1 stand per brigade (standard is a 3" base, but many people use smaller bases for smaller scales) and 1" = 100 yards. Take 4 of your F&F bases, place them on a 2" square movement tray (use a ground scale of 1"=150 yards), and you'll be all set to play big battles. With this configuration, you'd need about 200 stands of infantry to do Gettysburg, and you'd need a 6'x4' table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.