Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, Got the base game, and though I don't like it as much as Battlecry, I do like it more than Battle lore (Tanks having the same range as infantry and less dice...wish they had made it like four dice instead, with one more range as tanks typically have bigger guns...but I think that would be the biggest of my complaints). I'm looking at one of the two expansnions next, but unsure which would be the better choice.

I may be mistaken which one is in the store whether it is Eastern or Meditteranean, but I'm thinking it's Eastern.

Also, on another side note, is there an expansion which adds rules for things such as stronger tanks, or for leaders, or items like that?

Does the Airpack add ANYTHING at all significant that adds to the enjoyment, or is it just some aircraft that add to the complexity?

Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opnion id start with the eastern front expansion first, after that you will need the terain pack,trust me.

The airpack is good, the air rules are ok but i mainly got it to have pretty much all the scenarios in the one book.
I would leave this expansion till last. Get all the others first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Id get Eastern first then Pacific.

Id be curious to hear why Jason says you need the Terrain Pack? Unless your creating custom scenarios or using online made ones the Terrain Pack is basically worthless in my book. Abunch of terrain that you'll only use in the 4 scenarios provided, one of the scenarios doesnt need the terrain pack after you buy the Med expansion as it has everything you need for the scenario in it. I recently just traded it away as you dont need to to play any of the Eastern, Med, or Pacific expansions.

BTW if Im reading your first sentence correctly, tanks have the same amount of die as infantry no matter what range, not less as you 'seem' to have stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are thinking about getting just one expansion, I personally like the Eastern Front. I really like playing with the Command rules for the Russians.

The Terrain pack will ad terrain hexes that come in handy when you play scenarios from the front(fanmade) and scenarios from the later expansions (Campaign book, standard scenarios from battlemaps and Airpack)

All the expansions adds rules for the system. Troops, terrain, actions and such.

A short summary. (By no means complete)

Eastern front: Command rule for Russians, cavalry, snipers, finnish ski troops, blitz rules(Early war scenarios limits allied tank movement to 2 hexes to reflect Germanys better tanks.)

Terrain pack: Minefields, combat engineers, sabotage, heroic leaders, etc. etc. (Lots of rules andterrain that see limited use)

Pacific theater: Japanese infantry can move two hexes if they get into close assault, japanese MUST ignore first flag, Americans can order one extra unit per card, cave rules, battleships,

Med. heater: British can battle back if they have one ground unit left after close assault, Italians can retreat further for each flag. Anti-tank guns and mortars, exit hexes.

Air pack: Air planes, (I like to play with these, in some scenarios they can be a decisive factor, while they are inefficient in others.)

Winter/desert board: Purely visual effect. Includes a set of simple campaign rules. Campaign book expands this idea and makes it better.

Campaign book: Campaign rules, armor breakthrough, reserves, smoke etc.

Campaign bag: A bag to carry your game in. (I have 1 of every expansion + some PnP games in mine.) And Breakthrough map.

Overlord expansion: Cards for overlord play+ extra dice and cardboard units to use with the paper maps.

Papermaps: Pre-printed overlord battles.
Hedgerow Hell: Adds supply trucks.
Tigers in the snow: Adds Tiger tanks. Has two standard scenarios. One of them has rules for Wittman that gives him leadership bonus.
MArket Garden scenario has some fun rules for the card distribution.
Sword of Stalingrad: Adds combat deck. + two scenarios for standard map.

You can read the rules for these at DaysofWonder.com

Good luck with your choice.

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to dissent here and say Pacific because the Russian Command rules irritate me to no end. I think it sucks the fun out of the game to make someone plan out their move one turn in advance.

I had a ton of fun with Pacific. Both the USMC and the Japanese have interesting special abilities which make things really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Okay, Got the base game, and though I don't like it as much as Battlecry, I do like it more than Battle lore (Tanks having the same range as infantry and less dice...wish they had made it like four dice instead, with one more range as tanks typically have bigger guns...but I think that would be the biggest of my complaints). I'm looking at one of the two expansnions next, but unsure which would be the better choice.

I may be mistaken which one is in the store whether it is Eastern or Meditteranean, but I'm thinking it's Eastern.

Also, on another side note, is there an expansion which adds rules for things such as stronger tanks, or for leaders, or items like that?

Does the Airpack add ANYTHING at all significant that adds to the enjoyment, or is it just some aircraft that add to the complexity?

Thanks for the answers.

Each theater pack adds various chrome such as national characteristic. Russians have to allocate their moves in advance, British have limited battle back capability.

Most of the games (including the base game) use rules for elite armor units with 4 tanks per unit. (Good luck fitting them into the hex.) Tiger tanks are included with Memoir '44: Tigers in the Snow. The Mediterranean pack includes rules for AT guns. Eastern Front also includes engineers, snipers, etc. There are some "Heroic Leader" rules, but I forget which supplement it's included with.

The best thing to do is head over to Days of Wonder's web site and poke around. I'd download all the rules and give them a read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Lawrance
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for the Eastern Front expansion but I am going through a bit of a Russian phase at the moment.

There is also a scenario at the end of the Eastern Front expansion that requires the Terrain Pack as it has the necessary rail track and engine for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern and Pacific are definitely the best ones. Two factors:

(1) EF scenarios are bigger, longer, and generally more epic-feeling.

(2) EF is not exactly complete: you need a winter board (or a plain white one on printer paper) to get real use out of the winter tiles, and winter hills are only available in the Air Pack (or as a printout from BGG). In contrast, Pacific is 100% ready-to-go: same board, no missing terrain.

As to your sidenote, Air Pack adds winter hills, reference cards for _everything_, and a consolidated scenario book of all previously published scenarios, tweaked and taking advantage of the Terrain Pack and the included hills, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Haven't looked up the rules, but it sounds like the majority say the Eastern front is the one to pick up first, so that looks like my next purchase. Thanks.

Heroic rules sound interesting as well, I'll have take a look at those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need the terrain pack because i went to play some of the scenarios from the original book i think it was and then realised that i didnt have certain pieces i needed.

The terrain pack is a must for any Memoir 44 player. I have all the expansions except the overlord one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.