Subject: Evil Omens and Combat roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Joines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I've looked around for an answer to this question, but haven't found one - however, apologies if I've overlooked it. The question is one of precedence between the effects of an Evil Omens card and a combat dice roll that would normally result in an automatic Disaster...

I'm playing a five-person game and the Evil Omens event is in play, having been drawn in the Forum Phase of Turn 1. In the Senate Phase of the same turn, the Field Consul was sent on a mission to start prosecuting the 1st Punic War.

All was going well until I rolled the 3d6 to assess the result of the Naval Battle. The Evil Omens event card states "...a -1 penalty is applied to EVERY die roll", so when I rolled a '13' in my attempt to win a Naval Victory, I'd expect to reduce that roll to a '12'... EXCEPT... rolling a '13' on the 1st Punic War is an automatic Disaster. Rule 1.10.21 'Disasters' states "If this number (i.e. '13' in this case) is rolled prior to any modification while resolving combat... the battle is an automatic Disaster..."

So my question is, should I modify the '13' to a '12' - and in doing so, fortuitously avoid a Disaster? Because if I don't modify the '13', then there is no point at which that 3d6 dice roll can subsequently be modified - so I'll have ignored the terms of the Evil Omens card. But if I do modify the 3d6 dice roll, then am I not breaking rule 1.10.21, which states the result should be taken 'prior to any modification'? (Although the modification this is meant to refer to is the Senator's Military Strength)

I'd appreciate people's views/experience on this - the answer could make a big difference to Rome's future. cry

Cheers
TrapperJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In my opinion, Evil Omens is still a die roll modifier, just like the Military rating or anything else. The point of the unmodified die result for a disaster or standoff is that it corresponds to an exact percentage on a 3d6 result table. By taking it after modifications, it drastically alters the probability of the D or S coming into effect.

So if you roll the D or S number straight up, it takes effect. Then if it is a result besides that, apply any die roll modifiers, including Evil Omens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Joines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for such a speedy response Brian. What you say makes sense (unfortunately for Rome!). It's also how I'd played it, although more through luck than judgment (as I'd forgotten to apply the effects of the Evil Omens card in the Combat Phase, and only remembered it at the start of Turn 2).

Things don't look good for Rome. The State Treasury is running low, and in the Forum Phase of Turn 2, we've drawn 2nd Macedonian War (becomes Active as matches Philip V), Hamilcar (goes to Active 1st Punic War), 2nd Punic War (Imminent) and 2nd Illyrian War (Inactive). This is a tough game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.