Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One week in, and I'm loving my new job! Still some glitches to work out - they don't have a computer for me yet so I'm working off of a laptop, and there's a misspelling of my name that never wants to go away (Hendricks has a D in it, people shake ) - but I actually look forward to going to work each day, and I almost want the weekend to be over so I can go back.

For those of you who may have missed it, I am a Mathematical Games Designer for Aristocrat.

There is a lot more to slot machine design than I realized, and there's a lot of room for creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I have actually wanted to go up to Atlantic City just to check out the slot machines since I heard there was a Donkey Kong machine floating around. Since I don't gamble or party I never did though.

Something you may find interesting. In Japan they have these coin games (not the pachinko). They is similar to the coin games you see at carnivals where you drop a coin onto a tray and a pusher may drop coins off the the tray but very intricate. There was a giant Super Mario World game in the arcade near my house in Yokosuka that was the most addictive thing I have ever played. I must have dropped $100 bucks in that thing one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bradley!!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, congratulations on loving your job. Maybe I'm a cynic but I have two suggestions:

First, as far as this:
bjhendricks wrote:
... and there's a misspelling of my name that never wants to go away (Hendricks has a D in it, people ...)

Don't make a fuss, just in case you make a mistake (not saying you will but it doesn't hurt to have a plan) you can always say, "It was Henricks who did that, I'm HenDricks, with a D." I'm just saying, sometimes it's nice to have a fall guy, especially one no one can find.

Second:
bjhendricks wrote:
... and I almost want the weekend to be over so I can go back.

Don't let your boss know you love you're job that much. I can see the conversation when it comes to raise time:
Boss 1 "How much for Hendricks?"
Boss 2 "The guy who made those mistakes?"
Boss 1 "No, Hendricks, with a D, He's the one who who keeps coming up with the brilliant designs."
Boss 2 "Him? No raise"
Boss 1 "But his designs keep making us a ton of money"
Boss 2 "I know, but have you seen how happy he is? He loves it here, He won't leave no matter what we do."
Boss 1 "Hmmm, you may have a point ... Should we stiff Henricks as well?"
Boss 2 "No, give him a nice raise, I need him here, I have a couple of mistakes I need to blame on him"
Boss 1 "Hmmm, good idea, I have a dozy or two I need to pass off."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the congrats, guys! I do hope I enjoy my job as much next week Time will tell

Subhuman wrote:
They is similar to the coin games you see at carnivals where you drop a coin onto a tray and a pusher may drop coins off the the tray but very intricate.

I think I know what you're talking about - I've seen something similar at a Gaming (aka Gambling) Convention.

ElCid91 wrote:
First off, congratulations on loving your job. Maybe I'm a cynic but I have two suggestions:

First, as far as this:
bjhendricks wrote:
... and there's a misspelling of my name that never wants to go away (Hendricks has a D in it, people ...)

Don't make a fuss, just in case you make a mistake (not saying you will but it doesn't hurt to have a plan) you can always say, "It was Henricks who did that, I'm HenDricks, with a D." I'm just saying, sometimes it's nice to have a fall guy, especially one no one can find.

Second:
bjhendricks wrote:
... and I almost want the weekend to be over so I can go back.

Don't let your boss know you love you're job that much. I can see the conversation when it comes to raise time:
Boss 1 "How much for Hendricks?"
Boss 2 "The guy who made those mistakes?"
Boss 1 "No, Hendricks, with a D, He's the one who who keeps coming up with the brilliant designs."
Boss 2 "Him? No raise"
Boss 1 "But his designs keep making us a ton of money"
Boss 2 "I know, but have you seen how happy he is? He loves it here, He won't leave no matter what we do."
Boss 1 "Hmmm, you may have a point ... Should we stiff Henricks as well?"
Boss 2 "No, give him a nice raise, I need him here, I have a couple of mistakes I need to blame on him"
Boss 1 "Hmmm, good idea, I have a dozy or two I need to pass off."

Thanks for the advice Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CONGRATS ON THE GREAT JOB.

Here in Michigan we don't have jobs anymore and it is not as much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and all the Ohio jobs went to Michigan first... We don't even know what an economy looks like anymore down here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Table Tactics wrote:
CONGRATS ON THE GREAT JOB.

Here in Michigan we don't have jobs anymore and it is not as much fun.

Trust me, I know how lucky I am to have any job at all here in Vegas, much less a good one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
A man walks into a talent agent's office...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb

I was all set to be happy for you ... but ...

bjhendricks wrote:

... you work for The Aristocrats?

Uh, I saw that documentary, and those sound like some sick people, to hear the stories that were told. I'd be careful.

Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:

Uh, I saw that documentary, and those sound like some sick people, to hear the stories that were told. I'd be careful.

Just sayin'
Documentary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Bankler wrote:

Just sayin'
Documentary?

Is that the one with the cats that play the musical instruments?

I loved that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
spearjr wrote:
Bankler wrote:

Just sayin'
Documentary?

Is that the one with the cats that play the musical instruments?

I loved that one...

no, but they've got this great act...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.