Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up a copy of Marvel Heroscape for $19 a few weeks back, and played a couple games using the basic rules with my two kids, 8and 15. It was fun, but setting up and tearing down the bases took longer than the games did! I read up on it, and today we tried the "real" rules.

Game 1, the two boys played each other, with Dad as referee. They drafted characters, with the teams ending up as big brother with Hulk and Captain America vs. little brother using Silver Surfer and Doctor Doom. About halfway through the round, I was flipping through the rules and found we had played incorrectly. We had been giving one wound only per fight, regardless of the number of skulls over shields. Oops. Needless to say, this made the Hulk quite a bit stronger, and the next round, the wound-enraged goliath put the smackdown on Dr. Doom rather quickly. The Surfer managed to take down Cap and eventually the Hulk as well, with only two life remaining. Win to the younger son!

Game 2, the victorious youngster refereed, and it's Dad vs. Teen. We drafted four this time: his Hulk, Abomination, Red Skull, and Cap vs. my Surfer, Thanos, Iron Man, and Spider-man. Iron Man took down his pal Cap in a hurry, while Thanos and the Surfer whittled away at Abomination, all the while taking a few hits from the Hulk. Realizing the power of the Surfer's marker removing ability, I moved him off to destroy the Skull, removing a few markers (and basically taking away my son's turns). Finally, the Hulk had enough, and splatted Thanos into a greyish paste, then crunched Shellhead for good measure.

Hulk vs. Surfer as the last two pieces, again! These figures are certainly strong. I got lucky with the Surfer, hitting Hulk and taking away his turn markers far more than Hulk smashed back. Finally, it came down to one roll. My son tossed an astonishing number of dice due to Hulk's rage, and ended up with 5 skulls. My roll? 5 shields, and I followed it up with 5 skulls on my turn, defeating the emerald beast. Chalk one up for old age and treachery!

It was at this point my oldest son read Silver Surfer's card, and noticed that the marker removing power wasn't automatic at all, but required a 14 or better on a D20. Oops. It was an honest mistake. Both games, reading the rules wrong (or not at all) cost him the victory! He took it all fairly well, and I'm hoping we play again soon. I have some old Heroclix to dig out, and just might be able to find some custom army cards to match them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.