Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Want a more streamlined, cutthroat version of runewars? game reccomendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While i was playing Runewars tonight, as i was fiddling with dials, deciding orders, balancing in my head whether i wanted more influence or units or heroes etc it suddenly struck me that the game just seemed like a much more convoluted and bloated version of Hellas
Runewars in essence is a game played on hexes where you move your units to achieve control of particular areas. Tactic cards kept secret from your opponent can alter the course of the game, from how you reinforce troops to how they move and battle - which is what Hellas is all about.
If anyone is interested in trying Hellas though, the downsides is that its only for 2 players, and is prone to wild swings of luck. It can also feel like it goes on for a bit too long.
But overall, for those people that think the heroes is a bit tacked on to the game of Runewars, or just want a more simplified bloodthirsty game where you quickly get into the action and where it usually ends up as a tense standoff to try and capture that last city but you dont want to overstretch yourself because you are running out of troops, maybe give Hellas a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you just nee to play RuneWars again. After you get the flow of the game not much seems superfluous.

Heroes are an absolute necessity to play with after you realize they can swing the game to your favor if you play them right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hero abilities, and tactics cards which allow heros to help with battle.

Also, heroes can attack/duel/ambush/even steal other heros from players, not to mention stopping them from completing their quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play Runewars, the more important Heroes become in my games. Not because they impact the ARMY fighting directly, but their role is definitely important. Unlike Runewars' predecessor (Battlemist), though, the disconnect between Heroes and Armies is much less, partly because in this one, the Heroes gathering Shards doesn't itself win the game - you have to HOLD the rules with your Armies.

That, and as Purple above states, there are many Heroes and Rewards (and Tactics cards) that allow the Heroes to more directly influence the game.

I can see how more Hero interaction could be desirable, but the more I play, the more I realize I'm just fine with the way they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.