Subject: To log or not to log?... That is the question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
So despite being home with my family, cleaning the house, six loads of laundry, and cooking all three meals, I managed to fit in a game of Risk, Settlers of Catan, 3 rounds of Gipf, 2 rounds of Gobblet, and short game of Set...

but...

These were all either online or on my phone...

So, when logging sessions of games played, I am faced with the dilemma. Do I log the online and phone "board games" despite the fact that they never "hit the table" and I never played another live player?

What do you do? Do you log online games? Phone games? Bot or Human?

I'm sure this is purely opinion, and there is no wrong way to go, but what does the majority of BGG do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log face-to-face games.

I don't know what the majority does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gatheral
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log online games. These are just training sessions for the main event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I'd like to add another one: How do you log games with expansions? Let's say I played Carcassonne with 2 expansions, do I log only one expansion, both, with the base game or just the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log any games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log on-line games (as long as your opponents are real people and not an AI opponent, it's a real game - just a virtual environment).

I do not log plays for any expansions used however.

The magic with logging plays is that you really want to do it for your own purposes, not for any greater community need. Nobody keeps score. I just want to know how much I have played certain games. Others may want to know how often they have played their particular copy of a game. Whatever works for you. No one will come to audit your numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:
I log on-line games (as long as your opponents are real people and not an AI opponent, it's a real game - just a virtual environment).

I agree with this. Most AI opponents are not as good as a human opponent, while a few are inhumanly good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log face to face games. Online would be too crazy.

I used to only log the expansion, figuring that it would remind me that I played the base game too, but I changed a few years ago to logging the base and the expansions.
Even then, there are certain combinations of expansions that I know I always play with, so I don't bother to log the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes my wife and I will play Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne on the Xbox, I log those. I'll also log them on the rare occasion that I'm playing on Xbox Live with someone I know. I don't log electronic games with strangers, not that I ever game online with strangers anyhow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it depends on your reason for logging games.

I log games primarily to keep up with how often I play the games I own. Logging online games doesn't make any sense for me. The secondary reason is to keep up with what board games I am playing in general. I don't count computer games in this category, even if there are computer versions of board games. I got real close, though, to logging my PBEmail games of Diplomacy.

However, if I wanted to log games primarily to keep up with how often I play overall, I suppose I would log online games. Even then again, I might not.

The correct answer is to do what is best for you and meets your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:

I do not log plays for any expansions used however.

The magic with logging plays is that you really want to do it for your own purposes, not for any greater community need. Nobody keeps score. I just want to know how much I have played certain games. Others may want to know how often they have played their particular copy of a game. Whatever works for you. No one will come to audit your numbers.

I agree. I do log using the .01 play technique the first time I play an expansion just to remind myself I got to use it, but I log plays with the base game (or sometimes with expansions that are standaalone games in their own right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log games face-to-face AND I only play games face-to-face (save a game once in a blue moon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log only face to face games. I don't log anything for expansions. I only log one game per day, even if I play a game multiple times in one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log face-to-face games. I don't log expansions, unless I have a specific reason to log the expansion instead of the base game. (e.g. if I play Catan: Cities & Knights, I log that instead of the base Settlers game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
I log BSW games because

A. I don't play that many of them, and
B. They are against real people.

The only computer games I have been logging are Puerto Rico on Excel as I am new to that game, and it generally kicks my arse. I have been logging the plays along with a brief explanation of why I lost so I can improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log face-to-face games, with the exception of a play-by-email game I once played (of Pillars of the Earth) and 2 play-by-forum Endeavor games. I figured that these were enough of a time investment to warrant log.

If I did play on computer (eg BSW) then I don't think I would log them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log face-to-face games. I log each play once, usually under the base game, so my total number of plays is accurate. I often will put in a comment if I play with an expansion, but not always. When I don't log under the base game, it's because of a wonky situation (for example, Ticket to Ride: Switzerland, an "expansion" which "expands" two different base games, but is really its own version of the game that lacks some basic components).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when i log games, i log online and f2f games. but of coarse only live opponents.

but the logging is mostly just so i know how many times i've played a particular game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm logging all reasonably complete games played against humans. So I am logging online games against both people I know and strangers, but not if they get cancelled within the first couple of rounds (even if the other person apparently forfeited because they thought I'd pulled too far ahead for them to catch up). I amn't logging games of Patience, played either on the computer or on the table. (Although I'm dithering about logging a two-player variant, when played against my DH.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I log games all played with other humans, regardless of the medium (board, web, email, etc). I don't log games played with AIs. (I guess I am a species-ist in that regard...)

I don't log non-solitaire games played solitaire (e.g. playing both sides of a wargame).

I guess if I play specifically solitaire wargames like Ambush again sometime, I might log them, but the question hasn't really come up.

I used to log expansions, but I quit doing that, partly due to dissatisfaction with all ways of doing it (0.01, 1, etc) and partly due to inconvenience and not caring as much about logging that info in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I log online games as long as they are against real players. I equate my games played number as more of a 'game experience' number. And online games are definitely experience, and I would expect that if I played a game online 5 times against experienced players, that is in effect better experience than 2 times face to face with new players in my game group.

(Reef Encounter is a good example of this)

I don't normally count AI players and won't log those games, though some AI's can be quite adept. (Battle for Hill 218's AI has ruined me playing against real players around here, because now they cannot really compete.)

I'm actually not particularly diligent when logging my games. I try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see above - it's really personal preference. Just as many people on BGG log their online games (against human opponents) as those that don't.

Personally I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I log online games if I've played them against another human, whose name I know, and they're not otherwise logged, if that makes sense. I don't log BSW games. There, I almost exclusively play Dominion, and I've played hundreds, by now maybe a thousand games that way. BSW keeps a log, or at least a win %, so I don't have to think about "Should I log these bazillion games." Also, on BSW, you don't generally know who you're playing against.

If I play a game on Vassal (to completion), I log that. If I play a game PBEM (such as Caylus on http://www.boardgames.famdepaus.nl/index.html, I log that.

A question I have is, "Why do I log?" I'm hoping that someday, I'll be able to compile all my logged games and compare them in a spreadsheet or something. Which leads to another question, "Why do I want to compare all the games I've ever played in a spreadsheet or something?" Which leads to the conclusion that I should stop now, or else I'll never stop coming up with questions about this.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Wilson
United States
Piedmont
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
I don't log any games.

I tried logging games for a month or so, but found it very tedious, so now I do not log.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the answers would be pretty broad...

But the majority seems to say, "I log games, Online or on-table, when they are against real players. AI is more like a practice"

For me, I log games because I like to look back at how I spent my time over the month, over the year. Who I played with... and how much i enjoyed it...

Thanks for the input...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.