Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that the last session report I posted would preclude another tooth and nail game for a while. Was I ever wrong.

Metaurus from the base game was the setting. The Carthaginian commander had played the scenario several times, while, although the Roman commander had played many C&C:Ancients games prior it was the first go at that particular board.

The lights from both sides traded vollies the first few turns, while the Carthaginian left and right pinched in towards the center. The bulk of the Roman army creeped up the Roman left, hoping to pin in the Carthaginian Light Cavalry there. A favorable "I Am Spartacus" roll allowed the Romans to press further, a light infantry unit engaging the Carthaginian Elephant in close combat and removing one block while pushing it back. A little rampaging, but all sound and no fury.

Rather than shore up the right that had just been breeched, the Hasdrubal ordered a Double Time in the center, pinning a squad of Roman Light Infantry and establishing a strong presence in the relatively weak Roman Center. The Romans responded by continuing the push on the Roman left, the LI finishing off the Elephants, while the encircling of the remaining Carthaginian lights was positioned. The banner tally stood at 1-1.

The Carthaginian commander was presented with a crossroads. Bail on the right by ordering the lights, or seize the opportunity presented by the dangling Roman Light Infantry. Those that know the Carthaginian commander well would applaud the resolve used to at least consider the former, but it would come as no surprise that ultimately he succumbed and went after the LI slings ablazing. Unfortunately they did not blaze brightly, the 7d resulting in only 2 of the necessary four blocks being removed. The line command on the Romans' following play left the score at 3-1, with a lone Carthaginian Light Cavlary unit periously close to the backline being the only representative of his forces.

The Carthaginian commander neglected the right flank and continued the push in the center. An unsupported Roman Medium Infantry was targeted by the two Heavy units under Hasdrubal's command. Two blocks were lost, but also two BAN's granted, and the Roman Mediums fled, leaving the Carthaginian forces empty-handed, but still in strong position.

The Roman side turned its attention to the Center as well taking for granted the Carthaginian LC, pressing a Heavy lead by Porcius and an Auxilia unit against the foremost Carthaginian Heavies lead by Hasdrubal. The Roman Heavies managed to reduce the Carthaginian counterpart by only one block. The battle back matched the relative futility. However, lightning would strike: 2d leader check was true. Disaster in the Roman center. The suddenly unsupported and non-leader-aided Auxilia bravely stood and battled, but whiffed, followed by a 3 block loss on the battle.

The Carthaginian Heavies continued their march of havoc, laying waste to the Roman Auxilia, Medium and Heavy Infantry grouped there. Firm command with a 5-3 lead was how the board appeared to the Carthaginian commander. When the Roman commander responded by shoring up the center rather than going for the LC in the Carthage right corner, the Carthaginian commander smelled blood and went for the kill. The two Carthaginian Heavies met the well supported enclave of Romans, targeting a single full block Medium. The first collision took away two of those blocks, but the battle back was twice as vicious, claiming the entire Carthaginian Heavy unit. However, Hasdrubal was unfazed as he stood posed for victory, needing two hits, a momentum advance and then three hits on the second neighboring Roman Medium Infantry to close out the game. The dice were not ready for the game to end. Only one hit was granted, and while the battle back did not claim the Hasdrubal led Heavies, it did take away another block, leaving them with 2.

Again ignoring the LC, the Roman commander went for Hasdrubal. With only one shot of 4d available, it was taken. And so were the last of Hasdrubal's Heavies. With Hasdrubal evading back to his full force of Medium infantry and Warriors, the game still looked well in hand. When Hasdrubal did not make it back to his forces, however, the end seemed imminent. 6-5 the tally favored the Romans, with the Carthaginian Light Cavalry essentially trapped in the corner.

Seeing the taking of the yet dangling Roman LI as the only hope for buying time and trying for one last decisive (yet leaderless) push in the middle to grab the victory. The Carthaginian LC pinned the Roman LI and rolled the 2d. XSW,LIT. Not good enough. The battle back sent the LC flying towards the backline, the coveted BAN roll belonging to the Roman LI. Pinned and down to its last block, the LC awaited its foregone fate. The attrition of cards was taking a toll on the Roman side however, and Move-Fire-Move was the best offering. Still allowing 3d hitting at 33%, giving over a 3 in 4 chance that the end had arrived.

But the end had not arrived. The Carthaginians used their borrowed time to press in the center and left, bringing up the Warriors - being cardless themselves on the right. The Romans had one more shot at the LC. An LI commandeered by Nero pressed the Carthaginian LC against the backline. 2d were rolled: MED,MED. The battle back was equally inconsequential, and the Carthaginian LC galloped to safety on its next turn.

Watching its best target flee, the Roman side Rallied to prepare the push in the center, needing only a single banner to the Carthaginian's two for victory. Even with the Rally, an opening was presented. Two Carthaginian Medium ifantry and a full strength Warrior converged on a supported but blocked Roman Medium. Behind the Roman Medium lay another Roman Medium, though it only had half the blocks of its full strength brothers-in-arms. The combat began perfectly for the Carthaginians. The Roman Medium at the point fell to the Carthaginian Warrior unit, which then momentum advanced to face the 2 block Roman MI for the victory. 4d, 1 hit, 1 BAN. At 6-6 the Romans' would have their shot. And it would be taken with "I Am Spartacus".

A beauty of a roll it was:

The Roman Heavy moving onto the lone Carthaginian Warrior unit seemed so final to the Carthaginian commander that he didn't even bother to ask why Nero wasn't moved into position to take a shot at the fortune-filled LC, nor the Auxilia moved up to fire at the single block MI:

The fate of the Carthaginian side seemed sealed after the Roman H's roll - 3 hits, no saving BAN:

The battle back was good, but not as good as if Hasdrubal had stuck around:

The Carthaginians' hope came down to two desperate dice:

Incredulous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought that the last session report I posted would preclude another tooth and nail game for a while. Was I ever wrong.

Something that amazes me is how often games do come down to 'next banner wins.' We have had times when a good looking attack-- 'for the game'-- whiffed and the battle back took the final. Other games where several attacks could win...but did not.

I guess it's what keeps me coming back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What amazes me is how much of a cheating bastard todd is. It's starting to reach the point where I'm considering saving myself 90mins and just surrendering at the start of the battle. The bitter irony in this game is that this is the first time I have ever killed one of todd's LDRs on a 1d check, and even that wasn't enough - he killed two of mine on 2d checks.

Fucker!

edit: The reason I didn't chase down any of the 1 block units with missile fire is todd has burned me several times when I have played overly-aggressively and left myself with isolated units. I chose, therefore, to shore up my centre to prevent him from picking off a unit to win and fairly fancied my chances to win. The only way he could beat me was score 4 hits on 4d, or score 1-3 hits and make a 2d LC. He made the latter.

What I learned in this game is that it doesn't matter how well I play, how cunning my battle plan is, I am not allowed to beat todd on vassal. It has been ordained by a higher power (I suspect todd has been sacrificing virgins to make it so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, in a shock turn of events, the Gauls of King Britomartus defeated the legions of Marcus Claudius Marcellus at Clastidium, with a hard fought 4-3 victory. It seems that the curse is over (until todd thumps me next weekend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I find the time to post that one, I will - I usually don't find Clastidium to be that enjoyable of a scenario, but this one was right there with the string of games CJ and I have had lately. Card attrition was the prime mover...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
toddrew wrote:
As soon as I find the time to post that one, I will - I usually don't find Clastidium to be that enjoyable of a scenario, but this one was right there with the string of games CJ and I have had lately. Card attrition was the prime mover...

toddrew = wretch

that is all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.