Subject: Any restrictions on Explore cards and exiting the map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two situations that have become game spoilers for our group. I'd be interested in hearing the designer's thoughts on both these issues:

It seems that since each hex represents a large expanse of the Aguirre Wood it should not be possible to find the trail by accident. We had this situation occur tonight where the group split up and went about the map exploring. They got lucky and found the trail two tiles from the lair. The game ended quickly and it occurred to me that the game would have been more thematic if the players had to follow the trail from the camp site. It seems more in keeping with the spirit of the game if the players can only explore a hex in which there is a known trail exit. This would limit first turn exploration to the camp site hex but I think it makes for a better game. I couldn't find anything in the rules that disallows exploring at random but it can ruin a game if the humans happen to blindly wander into a hex very early in the game that's only a space or two from the lair.

In a similar vein, the humans decided that two of their group would go to one side of the map and the other two would go to the other side. That way when they found the map and the exit hexes appeared, they could get at least one of the humans off the map and win the game almost immediately even though the humans near the exit were in no way associated with the remote group that found the map in the lair. It would seem that the players finding the map would need to travel to the exit or to the same hex where the other players were camped out in order to communicate the map information to them before they could use the exit.

As I mentioned at the start of this post, both these issues tended to ruin the game for us thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Servando Carballar
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Don,

Thanks for buyin our game!

About your problems.
Exploring at ramdom by splitting the hikers group is a valid strategy for the hikers. By doing this they are more vulnerable to thw werewolf players attacks and he must harass them just when they split, maybe increasing the wolf icons with pack cards and beign able to make bloodthirsty attacks.
In our playtesting the hikers tend to "go-solo" when they found that this is a way to increase their chance to discover the trail, but they also get more confident. When the werewolf bite some of them then they become more "suspiciuos" about parting with another..."friend?".

Your second problem can be a little dissapointing. We´re thinking that we must include an optional "house"rule that only permits characters in the same hex whith a character that has the Map "Exit" the game.
But, remember, the werewolf also can deploy his pack adjacent to the camp when nigth falls, so they can split too and try to kill/infect the humans that he knows are more accurately placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Biovac wrote:
Hi Don,

Thanks for buyin our game!

About your problems.
Exploring at ramdom by splitting the hikers group is a valid strategy for the hikers. By doing this they are more vulnerable to thw werewolf players attacks and he must harass them just when they split, maybe increasing the wolf icons with pack cards and beign able to make bloodthirsty attacks.
In our playtesting the hikers tend to "go-solo" when they found that this is a way to increase their chance to discover the trail, but they also get more confident. When the werewolf bite some of them then they become more "suspiciuos" about parting with another..."friend?".

Your second problem can be a little dissapointing. We´re thinking that we must include an optional "house"rule that only permits characters in the same hex whith a character that has the Map "Exit" the game.
But, remember, the werewolf also can deploy his pack adjacent to the camp when nigth falls, so they can split too and try to kill/infect the humans that he knows are more accurately placed.

Servando, thanks for the response. Because of the first problem I mentioned, the players found the lair well before nightfall. That's made it impossible for me to stop the second group that was camped out by the exit hexes. That particular game was very disappointing. My previous game in which the group stuck reasonably close together and followed the trail from the camp all the way to the lair was a very tense game that ended with the werewolves winning by managing to kill the last human at the exit hex.

Based on my previous play it seems to make a better game if the players are required to follow the trail from the camp to the lair. In "reality" if they move to a random hex and explore how would they even know if the trail was the one they should follow or some other trail made by animals? Do you think allowing explore cards to be played only when the trail is known to lead out of the hex is too much of an advantage for the wolf player?

It seems that a game with five or six humans all exploring in opposite directions will find the lair easily before nightfall and won't need to worry about turning into a werewolf. The werewolf strategy at that point would be to forget about infecting anyone and just try to kill everyone as soon as possible. The drawback to this strategy is that some people will be sitting out of the game very early with nothing to do. That will tend to make the game less likely to be played in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.