Pandemic» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Research Center locations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnathan W
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best places to set up Research Centers on the game board during play to maximize their effectiveness for travel between them, location to infection sites and curing diseases. Thanks in advance! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
argouru wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best places to set up Research Centers on the game board during play to maximize their effectiveness for travel between them, location to infection sites and curing diseases. Thanks in advance! meeple

It's a real case-by-case basis. I generally find that research stations near disease hot-spots are quite valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where you need them.

somewhere near your medic when he has enough cards to create a cure.

Remember when you have built all your research stations you can move them around----so put them where you need them. Move them to where you need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langer
United States
Hickam AFB
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I agree that the game will dictate, but in general, I find it best to place stations in the cities with lots of adjacebcies... Paris, Istanbul, I belive ho chi minh, etc etc.

They have lots of places to travel from, and they're also the cities you definitely don't want to have 3 cubes on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, border cities tend to be my favorite, as you can sort of hedge your bets on which color will be the most trouble. Hong Kong and Istanbul I like a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fun with point-to-point maps: an analysis of "optimal" research station placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vriezen
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Ops. Expert in play, my group usually goes with Atlanta, Sao Paulo, Hong Kong, Baghdad, and Essen. Which with 5 bases if memory serves can get us to a base in no more than 3 moves, and in most cases two.

If we have time, we also frequently throw one in Santiago because no one likes Santiago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan W
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks again for all the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:
argouru wrote:

It's a real case-by-case basis. I generally find that research stations near disease hot-spots are quite valuable.

Almost. Placing them on hotspots is better. Near a hotspot, still means at least 2 extra travel steps, on a hotspot needs no extra travel.
If you have several dangerous cities close together, place 2 (or more) research centers on hot cities, even if they only have one step in between them.
The placing of research centers really depends on your initial set-up, and which cities come back after the first epidemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.