Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So I played 2 games today after enjoying my first game so much last week, That report is written up somewhere.

Today I played 2 games and reached the following conclusions.

1. Gold is good.
In my first game the 2 players who were 1 and 2 had an abundance of food (me) and gold respectively. The food came off as being better because of the stronger monsters that I could afford. and the abundance of useless gold the 2nd player had left over in the end. In this game gold was very hard for me to get gold and boy did it change how I was thinking of playing. I was constantly staring at my cards because I had no gold and without it several orders seemed like risky plays especially rooms and traps. I barely made the payments required of me at the end of each special phase. In my first game I was able to guarantee that I wouldn't have to pay much extra gold due to lucky turn order and cards played. This game I couldn't. Having a lot of gold really allows you to play for what you want/need without having to worry about what your opponents may or may not do.

2. Printing Press is very good.
I screwed up really big in my 3rd game. I was very careless and missed that everyone had their room order left (previous turn 2 players played it but as their first orders) and I lazily put down my orders cause I thought rooms and monsters were guaranteed. This over site on my part cost me getting a second production room leaving me with just printing press. This turned out to be fine because I never realized the amount of flexibility the press gave. In year 2 I almost alwasy was able to control what adventurer I got and by picking monsters that ran almost exclusively on evil made pay day easy for me. My monsters were 2 vampires and a witch and I know what you're thinking. He went for the dark room and chapel Well you are half right. I got the chapel but seeing how I had 2 priests to deal with my vampires wouldn't be very useful (yes I picked getting priests because a level 3 rouge is waaaaaaaaay to annoying to deal with) which helped lead me to my next conclusion.

3 Labyrinth is AMAZING.
In both my games the only battle room I bought was labyrinth. In my first game I had the trap room so naturally I had a lot of traps. In my second game I had only 3 but they were decent ones. In both my games the multi traps (with traps the skip C/F) allowed me to win without my room being conquered. I know that at first it seems like its worse compared to other combat rooms since you are trading 1 monster for a trap with no other benefit but this is still very good. In my case I was so pressed for money that any other room wouldn't have allowed me to pay the price. I wasn't the only one with this problem. In addition traps are very reliable. If you have a rogue then they're not as good of course but with monsters, so many spells target them, that they are completely unreliable at times. There can be no surprises with traps. Plus its not hard to get a good number of traps in year 2 by placing traps 1st (if you have the money). Monsters can have nasty competition at times by comparison and you can be left with no choice at all if payment can't be made. The draw 2 return 1 mechanic helps reduce similar screwage on traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
...because a level 3 rouge is waaaaaaaaay to annoying to deal with...

Agreed. Nothing is worse than a chick with too much makeup.

Oh, and I agree with your "real" points, as well.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
tkelly wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
...because a level 3 rouge is waaaaaaaaay to annoying to deal with...

Agreed. Nothing is worse than a chick with too much makeup. :D

Oh, and I agree with your "real" points, as well.
TK

Shoot shoot shoot
I made the same spelling mistake in the third paragraph too but I caught and changed that one.

Oh and I forgot Conclusion 4.

4. Minimal Effort dungeons do not work.
One player wanted to try a new strategy. The minimal effort dungeon. He had a 4 space dungeon with 3 rooms in it. He never captured a single adventurer and at the end of the game he had 3 slimes. He stalled through 7 of his 8 conquering rounds losing only 1 tile to conquering. While he never had to make payments his dungeon just didn't work. He lost too many points from adventurers captured. Probably what hurt him the most was that printing press I mentioned earlier. Thanks to it I was able to give him the level 3 ROGUE instead of me. His plan was to capture a few adventurers with traps and lose fewer points from conquered tiles. It was clear this wasn't a great strategy when comparing how many points we had from that phase (2* (adventurers -conquered tiles)+ 5 * paladin). I had the same 1 tile conquered but had managed to capture all my adventurers. He was only trying it to see how it would work. We all concluded it didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you mean he had four tunnels and three rooms. This game is full of little rules that still catch us off guard.

Rooms can't be built next to each other. Diagonals are fine, but otherwise they need a tunnel in between.

I've actually had a pretty good success with a small dungeon, but it could have been that my opponents went too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wood
United Kingdom
Little Chalfont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I believe that

/(Stairs)
R
CR
R

is legal...

V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Volkazz wrote:
I believe that

/(Stairs)
R
CR
R

is legal...

V.

Yes this is what he had (1 tunnel 3 rooms). This way he always needed only 2 gold for pay day. He got lucky with a random event that allowed him to lose one of his production rooms so he could replace it with something else though he picked up the anti magic room but in the end he had no wizards. naturally since he got conquered once he lost a room.

Personally I find that small dungeons aren't very good. usually you need at least 5/6 spaces at the end of year 1 and 6-8 by the end of year 2.

Unless you have the production room for it gold becomes hard to come by if you don't have a good tunnel system and if you don't make new tunnels in year 2 the adventurers can come very close to your victory point rooms. I always try to leave an area that I can build out and force the adventurers to go to first so I can put a room there w/out the adventurers having to go through a few tunnels first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
My setup was like this:

entrance this side
R (Antimagic Room)
CR (Imp Room)
R (Gold Room)

I lost the Antimagic Room to conquering in the second phase.

If I recall, the net score for battles was:
Wodan46: 0-2=-2 points, 2 less if you count the room
Allstar64: 12-2=10 points
Player3: 17-6=11 points, 2 less if you count the room
Player4: 12-4=8 points

Put simply, blocking adventurers isn't worth it, especially since most of the things that got conquered for the other players happened phase 2 anyways, meaning that they were never handicapped by dead corridors/rooms. I should note that I was also extremely lucky to get all the Slimes, and during the 1st phase, out of the 2 Traps I purchased, BOTH were adventurer stalling items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.