Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think has some nice features although i believe it is to restrictive.
In the start of the game it is not as tough but if you get a lucky draw of it at the start of your reshuffle then you have eliminated the others players in two consecutive rounds from buying treasures.
Instead i would just like it to be a Duration card with the attack such that "Other players cannot buy treasures until the end of your next turn". Maybe even a double duration. So it reads: "Other players cannot buy treasures until the end of your 2nd next turn". Maybe actually the last one fits nicer and doesn't become so bad end game.. Well... Just a thought!

The end of your next turn is simply so that if one where to Swindle they would still not be able to get any treasures (suppose silver is the only cost 3 card), instead they trashed that treasure.

You say it has been tested with smithy, but isn't it far to powerful if smithy strategy is not available.

Well this is what i think
But nice idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
"attack card idea designed to target other players buying only treasure": Theif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 Cards, +1 Action for 4 Coins -- so it's better than Laboratory and you get an attack out of it too. The card might need to be reworked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...this is a no.

So it's an attacking lab that also really muddies the rulebook because it has a duration effect, even though it's not a duration card. First off, this is a cost 6. Second, it's NOT a Dominion card, at least not in my mind.

I don't mind the idea of a scaled back version of this: "Duration: While XYZ is on the table, no player may gain a treasure card during their buy phase." That includes you. Tack on +$2 (no +card or +action) and this is servicable as a cost 3. +card and +action and you're starting to look at 4's and 5's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's a super-Laboratory that cannot work with game mechanics - even as a Duration and with the problem of how this interacts with Moat/Lighthouse somehow resolved, the idea still doesn't work because the game does not remember where money came from when you spend it - you play Actions and Treasure to add buying power to your cash pool, and then spend buying power from your cash pool to buy stuff. Donald's discussion of Black Market versus Coppersmith confirms this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say this one last time:
THIEF
This attack works perfectly fine against people on buying treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Inn
Cost=4, Action-Attack
+2 Money
Each opponent discards all Treasure, then draws until they have 5 cards

Wizard
Cost=5, Action-Duration
+2 Money
Treasure cards are worth 1 Money

Alchemist
Cost=5, Action
+3 Money

Each of these would discourage Treasure buy strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
david707 wrote:
I'm going to say this one last time:
THIEF
This attack works perfectly fine against people on buying treasure.

No, it doesn't. Because Thief cleans the Copper from their deck, which will increase their buying power, which helps them as much as the occasional loss of a Silver/Gold hurts them.

Thief counters Chapel decks, which clean the Copper first, thus meaning that you never help them, always hurt them, and always gain something for using it. In general, Thief is meant to be used vs. deck-thinners.

Chapel decks are even more OP than money buying decks anyways, they're basically the same thing, only without any Coppers/Estates clogging up your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
sthrjo wrote:
wodan46 wrote:
Wizard
Cost=5, Action-Duration-Attack
+2 Money

Where can I read about Wizard and Duration-Attack rules? I see none in Seaside bgg forum. I designed my Logical Sergeant for the basic game. I have no problem with fine-tuning it into a Duration-Attack card if I can have the rules, please.

Actually, come to think of it, it wouldn't qualify as an attack, much like Masquerade doesn't despite substantially affecting other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
wodan46 wrote:
Wizard
Cost=5, Action-Duration-Attack
+2 Money

Where can I read about Wizard and Duration-Attack rules? I see none in Seaside bgg forum. I designed my Logical Sergeant for the basic game. I have no problem with fine-tuning it into a Duration-Attack card if I can have the rules, please.

Donald mentioned (I think in Secret History) that he considered Duration/Attacks, but wound up cutting them because they were too complicated timing-wise and not worth the extra effort. Here's how I'd FAQ them, taking the literal definitions of all the relevant effects:

[card] is both an Attack and a Duration- it has an effect on the other players that lasts for more than the turn you play it. It's affected by the same cards that affect other Attacks, but it's only "played" when you put it out on the first turn. So in order to use a Moat to protect yourself against a [card], you'd have to have it in hand when it was first played- drawing it later on doesn't protect you. On the other hand, Lighthouse protects you whenever it is in play, regardless of when the Attack was played- this even means that you could start your turn affected by the Attack and become immune mid-turn when you play a Lighthouse.

Though also remember that Durations need to explicitly specify how long they're out- you can either do this with a "On your next turn, X. While this card is in play, Y." (like Lighthouse), or the slightly fiddly "Until the end of your next turn, Y." (But then the effect lasts longer than the Cleanup phase of your second turn, so you can't discard it next turn. It's a mess.)

For instance, here's the one I've trying to playtest:

Cease Fire - 4 - Action, Attack, Duration
+3 Cards. Until the end of your next turn, no player may play Attack cards.

(Extra FAQ: "Yes, a Cease Fire affects you too. You can't use Moat, Secret Chamber, or Lighthouse against it because those all specify that another player plays the Attack. If you try to play an Attack card while affected by Cease Fire, the attempt to play it fails. If you Throne Room a Cease Fire (and not affected by another Cease Fire), the second play fails.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.